Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:10 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,313,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well the fact that you worked at Target should help you. I wouldn't call again at this point.

If your comfortable with doing this go into the Home Depot dressed in a nice shirt/ pair of khakis in the early afternoon on a weekday and ask to speak to the Asst. Manager. You can say you were just following up on your interview.
Also, what is the list of great websites that have job listings that are hiring? I know of SnagAJob, any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople View Post
to let me know whether I got the job or not, if some of you remember me, i'm unemployed again unfortuneately, I most recently was employed at Target but sadly it was only a seasonal job, seasonal employment only, i was let go from it, Human Resources at Target told me it was all a Business Decision, that it was nothing personal, my last date of employment there was December 17th 2011, i was only employed there for about a month and a half, my Orientation was on October 25th 2011 and my first day of working there was Halloween of Last Year. I had perfect attendence there, I was always on time, I was never late, but unfortuneately i was not given the option to stay, i feel i had a great work ethic there, i wasn't the only one that was released, let go, but luckily for 2 other people that were members of my orientation, they were given the choice, option to stay, and one of them it was her first job in retail as well, because Target was my first ever retail job.
It's very fishy that a seasonal employee was let go before the Christmas rush was over. Seasonal employees are hired strictly for the black Friday and Christmas shopping rushes. Only a few of our seasonal employees weren't kept on and they were let go the second week of January. There might be more behind your release than you think and I would check before including that job on your application/resume. The short time frame can also be a red flag for employers.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
It's very fishy that a seasonal employee was let go before the Christmas rush was over. Seasonal employees are hired strictly for the black Friday and Christmas shopping rushes. Only a few of our seasonal employees weren't kept on and they were let go the second week of January. There might be more behind your release than you think and I would check before including that job on your application/resume. The short time frame can also be a red flag for employers.
Yeah something tells me that Target's Human Resources have not been completely honest with me, it makes me wonder why did they not fire, terminate me instead? I had perfect attendence at Target, I swear i was never late, i was always on time literally, it makes me wonder why i was released, it pisses me off when people don't tell you or give you feedback why you got rejected, or were let go, released, basically in all aspects of life, because mistakes are a part of life, mistakes are supposed to be learning experiences, i want to know what it is that i did wrong so i won't make the same mistake again in the future.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:43 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,584 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I know a guy that worked at HD after getting fired from Lowes, and it was a good month before he was called in to work and it was at a different store than where he applied. He left the Lowe's job off his application.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I know a guy that worked at HD after getting fired from Lowes, and it was a good month before he was called in to work and it was at a different store than where he applied. He left the Lowe's job off his application.
Still it's different for me, prior to getting hired at Target, i had almost no job experience, there was a job i did not mention on my application, Disneyland, because i was fired from there, the other i put volunteer work, and Abercrombie and Fitch, which was technically my first job eventhough they never gave me work hours, it's a long story.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,755,587 times
Quote:
Still it's different for me, prior to getting hired at Target, i had almost no job experience, there was a job i did not mention on my application, Disneyland, because i was fired from there, the other i put volunteer work, and Abercrombie and Fitch, which was technically my first job eventhough they never gave me work hours, it's a long story.
You must be handsome to have worked at A&F....or if you are a girl...attractive....

Old 01-27-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
You must be handsome to have worked at A&F....or if you are a girl...attractive....
well this was back in 2007, when I worked there and at Disneyland, but eventhough A&F Hired me, i only got one paycheck from there, everytime i showed up to clock in for work, print out my schedule, i had no work hours, and i asked the manager, and she told me the place was going through a transitional phase, so after I left Disneyland in October 2007, i was unemployed for 4 years, yes, all my fault, i take full responsibility for being unemployed that long, i just got sick and tired of applying at so many places and getting no responses.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:14 AM

so should i call back target's human resources and find out why i was laid off early? well target was my first ever retail job, they gave me my first ever cashier experience, but i hope i get hired at Home Depot, it is really frustrating me that they are taking too long to get back to me to let me know if i got the job or not

Last edited by Ihatespoiledbrattypeople; 01-28-2012 at 12:25 AM..

Old 01-28-2012, 12:25 AM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Quote:
so should i call back target's human resources and find out why i was laid off early?
You could, but they probably won't say anything. The easiest thing would probably be to pretend you're a manager from another store and ask about your work history, or get a friend to do it if your voice is recognizable. I've never done this before, but I have friends who have and it's an easy way to confirm or rule out references if you're confident and convincing enough.

However, you didn't even work at Target for two months and usually people don't put jobs on their applications/resumes for that short of a period. But since it's all you really have, I guess you could give it a try and see if it helps or hurts you.

I think I remember from another post that you said you're in your twenties. Have you thought about getting an education in something you like and seeing where that takes you? That could be very beneficial.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,544 times
Quote:
so should i call back target's human resources and find out why i was laid off early?
I wouldn't.

It's a starter job.

What's more important (I think anyway) is showing up at jobs you applied for, not looking ragged, talking intelligently, and showing the people in charge there you're eager to start working.

Work on communicating you're mature, confident, and that you're somebody they want working for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search