Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 09:01 PM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajd96813 View Post
This is just my opinion but if something has happened a few or more times, it may be time to take a good look at the situations. You may be wonderfully pleasant, but maybe there is something there that is not coming through and you may not be aware of it.

this is sort of happening with me lately. I have been interviewing for 3 months now. I haven't had too many interviews and some have been temp to hire, but I have not been the one chosen.

Just today my agency gave me an update on the one I interviewed last week and said "well they didn't think it was a good personality match". Personality Match???? I always assumed I was pleasant, warm, caring and interested whenever I interviewed. Even the agency guy said he didn't get it.

Am I pleasant and personable? I like to think so. But Maybe not "at this time"? It has got me thinking. Am I going into the i'view with a chip on my shoulder? Am I bitter and or pissed subconsicously? Am I going in saying 'not another interview' and is it showing? My confidence is low lately and maybe that shows..

Also, maybe I did something at the i'view. I do remember when I went in, I went to the receptionist and was given a application. I did not expect that since my agency sent me. I was also not prepared because the agency said they had my resume and just to do show up on time. So filling out this app, I had to keep looking at phone numbers on my phone to place on the app. Also, subconsciously I was miffed at having to fill out an app, or for my agency not telling me. So I spent about 30 minutes trying to do it when it didn't really take that amount of time, and waited for the receptionist to ask "are you finshed" to which I said "yes I am thank you'. 9:30 i'view started at 10:10 am. Maybe that had somemthing to do with things. I don't know. "Personality match".

This has happened more than once lately and for roles I honestly thought I should have been chosen. I mean there may be valid reasons too such as I have to many skills for the position in question, or not enough. But it certainly has got me thinking.

Good luck in the future.

There are so many reasons for someone not getting a job right now, though. I've had quite a few where I was considered "overqualified." One was a part-time job in PR/social media. The Director of Communications called me personally to apologize that I wasn't chosen, and even gave me leads on other jobs. Though she didn't say it outright, I'm pretty sure the issue was that the job was part-time and because I have a master's degree she thought I would be better suited for a higher paying position; I drew this conclusion based on the job leads she gave me, which were TBH much better jobs than the one she had to offer. In another case, the job was with one of the publications for which I freelance. My editor called me after being informed that they went with another person because she wanted to let me know that they felt I was waaay overqualified for the position. That's nice to hear I guess, but it's not putting money or a health insurance card in my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
There are so many reasons for someone not getting a job right now, though. I've had quite a few where I was considered "overqualified." One was a part-time job in PR/social media. The Director of Communications called me personally to apologize that I wasn't chosen, and even gave me leads on other jobs. Though she didn't say it outright, I'm pretty sure the issue was that the job was part-time and because I have a master's degree she thought I would be better suited for a higher paying position; I drew this conclusion based on the job leads she gave me, which were TBH much better jobs than the one she had to offer. In another case, the job was with one of the publications for which I freelance. My editor called me after being informed that they went with another person because she wanted to let me know that they felt I was waaay overqualified for the position. That's nice to hear I guess, but it's not putting money or a health insurance card in my wallet.
There is also good old-fashioned odds to consider. For every interview, the OP is only one of ___ people to have reached that stage of the process. That doesn't change, no matter how many interviews one gets.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
There is also good old-fashioned odds to consider. For every interview, the OP is only one of ___ people to have reached that stage of the process. That doesn't change, no matter how many interviews one gets.
I started this thread from pure frustration going to an interview needlessly. That day I had taken off from work, paid for parking, walked in heels for a mile (my own fault), and was just pissed. I spoke to the interviewer and was not really thrilled about the position. She said it was perfect for me and talked me into going.

The simple fact was the job involved me going into an dangerous urban setting where I would see people with crack pipes, guns, drugs etc. As soon as I sat down, I am sure the Director knew I wasn't. right for the job. It wasn't just a waste of my time, it was of theirs as well.

Today I was screened for an interview next week. I was shocked I got a call because I didn't have the right experience. The company has you send your resume, and follows up with another application you fill out with more specific detail. She called asked a few questions and said "Sorry you aren't right for this position, but we'll see if anything else matches up with you".

To me? Perfect. We both spent thirty minutes talking on the phone, realized it wasn't the right fit for me or the company and moved on!

Old 09-13-2012, 07:34 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I started this thread from pure frustration going to an interview needlessly. That day I had taken off from work, paid for parking, walked in heels for a mile (my own fault), and was just pissed. I spoke to the interviewer and was not really thrilled about the position. She said it was perfect for me and talked me into going.

The simple fact was the job involved me going into an dangerous urban setting where I would see people with crack pipes, guns, drugs etc. As soon as I sat down, I am sure the Director knew I wasn't. right for the job. It wasn't just a waste of my time, it was of theirs as well.

Today I was screened for an interview next week. I was shocked I got a call because I didn't have the right experience. The company has you send your resume, and follows up with another application you fill out with more specific detail. She called asked a few questions and said "Sorry you aren't right for this position, but we'll see if anything else matches up with you".

To me? Perfect. We both spent thirty minutes talking on the phone, realized it wasn't the right fit for me or the company and moved on!

My friend let someone talk her into taking a job and then was miserable once she started.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 PM

1,128 posts, read 3,481,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToHaveALife View Post
yes, so if they were not interested in me they would not have wanted to waste time interviewing me, since time is money
That's not logical. Interviews are a way of testing you to see if you're a good fit for their company. Without interviewing people, they would not be able to determine that, save for basic education and work requirements.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlesseden View Post
i found that if you also try to qualify them, you will have better chance of getting a job. If you don't want to go to interview at 8am, tell them no.
You don't want to "drove two hours each way in horrible traffic for an hour interview". Pick a time that's good for you and no traffic.
But if the rush hour traffic is that bad (two hours each way), then perhaps it's not a good idea to even work where that company is located. So asking the interviewer for a more convenient time could put a negative mark on the application.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But if the rush hour traffic is that bad (two hours each way), then perhaps it's not a good idea to even work where that company is located. So asking the interviewer for a more convenient time could put a negative mark on the application.
No one is going to say "That is rush our traffic, I don't want to drive in it can I come at noon?". For me it wasn't rush hour, it took two hours because the traffic was horrible. If I was making the commute every day, I would go in early to avoid this!

Old 09-16-2012, 01:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,606,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolSocks View Post
That's not logical. Interviews are a way of testing you to see if you're a good fit for their company. Without interviewing people, they would not be able to determine that, save for basic education and work requirements.
testing as in how? are job interviews just to determine a person's attitude, personality? what you mean by "Fit"? doesn't the resume/application already display the applicant's skills?

Old 09-16-2012, 01:58 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
OP,

Have you tried interviewing with your friends for honest critique? It's always good to get a trusted opinion than some filtered BS from a company or no response.

I used to get a quite few interviews with no jobs. Several years ago, I did some speed interviewing sessions at a charity sponsored career class. Every 10 minutes, we would be scored and given advice on areas of improvement. After a few rounds, my score steadily improved. I killed my next interviews. I had interviews for $12.5k raise at company A and $15k/raise at company B. They both wanted to hire me. Company B called back and offered $25k raise, because the manager was very impressed with the interview. I was shocked, when they came back with more money. I asked them to repeat the numbers, since I did not hear them correctly the first time. Another classmate increased their salary from $14/hr to $18/hr. It was in 2008-09 and everybody was being laid off. Competition was tough.

The free class was absolutely worth it. I was always so close, but I couldn't close the deal. I learned that you can read all the career advice in the world, but the fastest path to improvement is honest feedback.

Last edited by move4ward; 09-16-2012 at 02:36 PM..

Old 09-16-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
OP,

Have you tried interviewing with your friends for honest critique? It's always good to get a trusted opinion than some filtered BS from a company or no response.

I used to get a quite few interviews with no jobs. Several years ago, I did some speed interviewing sessions at a charity sponsored career class. Every 10 minutes, we would be scored and given advice on areas of improvement. After a few rounds, my score steadily improved. I killed my next interviews. I had interviews for $12.5k raise at company A and $15k/raise at company B. They both wanted to hire me. Company B called back and offered $25k raise, because the manager was very impressed with the interview. I was shocked, when they came back with more money. I asked them to repeat the numbers, since I did not hear them correctly the first time. Another classmate increased their salary from $14/hr to $18/hr. It was in 2008-09 and everybody was being laid off. Competition was tough.

The free class was absolutely worth it. I was always so close, but I couldn't close the deal. I learned that you can read all the career advice in the world, but the fastest path to improvement is honest feedback.
I haven't, I feel really stupid doing that with a friend. However I may look into classes, excellent idea.

My other thought is to take a break from the rat race completely for a couple of years. I am too stressed out and this may be coming across and I don't know if I can give a company my all right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search