Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

What was your choice of school? Was it worthy of slamming?

Regarding previous employer.. I would just be like "I had a good experience there" and leave it vague.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:08 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
You were being tested. They were trying to see if you would throw your WM job and school under the bus. The correct answers would have been "In my experience WM is actually a very good company with some very good employees.", and " I think any school is what you make of it, I worked hard there and learned a lot." They wanted to see how you worked under stress.

Ever notice how politicians answer questions by not answering questions ? You need to take a lesson from them. Treat this one as a learning experience and make the next interview better.

Don

Old 06-28-2013, 07:43 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
I don't know, the OP is saying this was the District Manager, not the HR department, that they had such a bad interview with. It could be the DM simply was an ******* and had no real knowledge of how an interview is supposed to go. But keep in mind, if that's the DM you will have to work under? I'd pass.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
They could have been testing your reaction to a long string of negativity and improper comments to see if you keep your cool under pressure. Or they could just be dicks. Hard to say.

I was thinking the same thing but it sure sounds kind of risky especially from an HR person.

Still, I would keep a thick skin. If this job is a really good opportunity (pay increase, responsibility, likeable), then put up with the interview BS. If you get the job, it will be worth it.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You were being tested. They were trying to see if you would throw your WM job and school under the bus. The correct answers would have been "In my experience WM is actually a very good company with some very good employees.", and " I think any school is what you make of it, I worked hard there and learned a lot." They wanted to see how you worked under stress.

Ever notice how politicians answer questions by not answering questions ? You need to take a lesson from them. Treat this one as a learning experience and make the next interview better.

Don
Yeah.....but......if they play games during the interview process.......gotta wonder how they act once you're on the payroll.......

I'm in a technical field, and when I'm interviewing for jobs that I'm qualified for, things are fairly cut & dry about the work involved. My potential boss usually can tell if I know what I'm talking about...or not.

It basically comes down to stuff like:

Would I fit in?

Do my new boss & I get along?

It's a chemistry thing.

I interviewed with a guy that was pretty sharp (owner), and he had this "WTF?" attitude about everything. I suppose it's a good thing in the sales industry, but I was really turned off by his motor mouth. Towards the end of the interview (I accepted an offer after a lengthy wage negotiation), he mentioned that if things don't work out, then he'll just fire me.

I rescinded my acceptance of the deal. He was considering terminating my employment before I even started working there.

Thankyouverymuch.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:47 AM

227 posts, read 745,717 times
I did not get the job. I'm glad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search