Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times

Advertisements

I always see preferred as something they'd like, but if you don't have it, can learn it, and are a great match otherwise, then they'll give you a chance. Except when I see "bilingual preferred", I just pass. I figure if a job requires that much interaction with people who can't speak english, or speak it very well, I'll just get irate, so I move on.

Right now, a job I'm interviewing with prefers I know MS Access. I was honest, told them I haven't used Access in over 10 years, but database management was a core part of my degree so I understand the ins and outs of a database, but that I'd just need to relearn the 2007 software. That was good enough for them since they said, "we don't use it too often". I also had to take the test (I wonder what I scored) and they were happy with my results, so I may have done decent on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 04:55 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,215 times
yeah, i skip "bilingual preferred" jobs because being bilingual usually ends up being pretty important.

i am learning spanish though (beyond the very, very basic spanish i already knew), because when you want to work for social justice type nonprofits in the northeast, you really need to know it. it's not necessary at my new job, but if i want to move on in a few years i might as well be prepared.

Old 07-07-2013, 11:33 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
yeah, i skip "bilingual preferred" jobs because being bilingual usually ends up being pretty important.

i am learning spanish though (beyond the very, very basic spanish i already knew), because when you want to work for social justice type nonprofits in the northeast, you really need to know it. it's not necessary at my new job, but if i want to move on in a few years i might as well be prepared.

Yup whatever is preferred and I don't have it i just move on to the next ad

Old 07-07-2013, 11:48 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:

I have a feeling Spanish will be required in America more and more in the coming years. Possibly due to the illegal immigration deal (if it gets passed by the house and their conditions are accepted by the senate IF that happens)

Old 07-07-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Yup whatever is preferred and I don't have it i just move on to the next ad
that's not what i said. i said i only do it if it's bilingual preferred.

if i skipped ads that say they prefer a college degree (which i don't have), i wouldn't have gotten my new job.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:16 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,003,482 times
Quote:
that's not what i said. i said i only do it if it's bilingual preferred.

if i skipped ads that say they prefer a college degree (which i don't have), i wouldn't have gotten my new job.

Well you deserve an award for determination because not many would apply if they didn't have what the company preferred.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Well, they should, because it's preferred, not required.

People should also apply for jobs if they're just a little short of the requirements if they can make a good case that they're qualified anyway. I'd only do that for a job I was REALLY interested in, cause in this economy it's a long shot. But I've done it. And I've gotten interviews for those jobs, a couple of times.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
For people just entering the job market, it means you better have what is preferred or you stand zero chance of being hired. Hehe.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,032,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
"Preferred" is code for "an absolute requirement unless you can otherwise show that your accomplishments are on the level of curing cancer."
This.

In a sane world, it just means, "it would be nice to have these skills," but based upon my own experience and of others, what it really means is, "We'll just keep looking around, hiring nobody, until that magic purple squirrel shows up with everything we want - and he or she must be willing to work for peanuts."

Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
This.

In a sane world, it just means, "it would be nice to have these skills," but based upon my own experience and of others, what it really means is, "We'll just keep looking around, hiring nobody, until that magic purple squirrel shows up with everything we want - and he or she must be willing to work for peanuts."
Exactly what I've seen. The like to haves are now required unless you fit it to the T and are willing to work for their pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search