Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,045 times

Advertisements

I have the same degree as you - found out that there's virtually nothing out there in that field when it was too late. My fellow classmates and I commiserate on that. I was in the running for an internship at a magazine, but my husband was military and we had to leave the country. I decided to go for a bachelors in a related field so I could find work. Oh but goody, I'm in the same boat. No one wants to hire someone without 5+ years experience. I can't believe it when I see internships requiring 2 years experience. Internships? At this point I'm begging for a receptionist job (no luck there either!)

I was excited about design and multimedia too, but freelancing seems almost impossible. It's a saturated market where I live, freelancing is very competitive. There's tons of freelancers, so you pretty much have to forget it. But hopefully you can pick things up. I know you said freelancing was a last resort, but it can help build your portfolio and experience level, and get you noticed. I don't think you should give up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Without knowing anything about you and not judging, I will say that interviews are more than just "certifications", education etc. There is a likability factor, an appearance factor, a chemistry factor and more that I'm sure others on this forum can address. Somehow, you have to stand out in a crowd. I assume you have a portfolio of your work. Do you have a You Tube video? Have you set up your own website so that anyone can go to it and see your effort without having to have you in for an interview? Include the website on your resume and application. Networking is also essential. Do you have a social network other than facebook peers? Join a Toastmasters Club and learn to speak, meet people. The old thing of sending a resume, showing up for an interview is not enough.

Keep us posted on things.

If you give up, you will find it virtually impossible to get started again. You will condemn yourself to some minimum wage job with fewer than 40 hours.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:15 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
Not to be snarky, but as soon as your 'wants' (throughout your post) turn into 'needs', you will develop a whole new level of ambition. Once the need to have a pay check in order to buy potatoes and rice so you can stay alive materializes, you will discover a level of resourcefulness that you never knew existed inside of yourself.

Maybe it would be wise to get in front of it. Get the burger and fries job, start donating your design work to not for profits and see if someone picks up on your work.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Without knowing anything about you and not judging, I will say that interviews are more than just "certifications", education etc. There is a likability factor, an appearance factor, a chemistry factor and more that I'm sure others on this forum can address. Somehow, you have to stand out in a crowd. I assume you have a portfolio of your work. Do you have a You Tube video? Have you set up your own website so that anyone can go to it and see your effort without having to have you in for an interview? Include the website on your resume and application. Networking is also essential. Do you have a social network other than facebook peers? Join a Toastmasters Club and learn to speak, meet people. The old thing of sending a resume, showing up for an interview is not enough.

Keep us posted on things.

If you give up, you will find it virtually impossible to get started again. You will condemn yourself to some minimum wage job with fewer than 40 hours.
I've read about networking when I was reading up on freelancing guides. I have a facebook account, a twitter account, and linkedIn account, all of which I don't even know how to use, let alone have any followers/likes.

I don't know how to network

Old 08-07-2013, 03:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
What is wrong with freelance? Many people are freelancers for a living. My friend actually left his job as a graphic designer and only does freelance now because the money and flexibility are both better for him. And someone mentioned that most designers do freelance on the side---I have found this to be true.

Do you have an awesome portfolio? That matters.

Have you interned or volunteered anywhere for the time being? Another friend of mine volunteered to do social media work and now after about six months, he's applying and getting interviews for paying social media positions.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:26 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I'm growing very frustrated. I graduated from school with a certificate in Multimedia Design Technology. I have certifications in Adobe Dreamweaver and Photoshop which according to my advisors should be enough to land me a job. I worked my ass off taking these tests and passing them and now these tests, and these certificates in Adobe mean nothing now.

I go through many interviews and got turned down on each attempt. I got rejected from 2 Graphic/Web Design jobs, and 2 internships. It's been especially hard to find a job that doesn't say "Need 8 years of Graphic Design Experience + 4 year degree." Even Entry level jobs require 2 years of experience. [ What's the purpose of entry level again?!]

I got rejected for not passing an aptitude test which consists of solving 40 math questions in 12 minutes.(Mostly College Algebra) What the hell does that have to do with creating websites or designing art for clients?

I want to create art to wow my audience. I want to create mind blowing websites. But I want a job. I want to eventually get out of my parent's house and make a living. And at this point, I'm on the verge of giving up finding work. I feel like traveling up to 20 miles from my house to a job interview where I have no guarantee of finding work becomes a big waste of time. I got huge rejection calls / letters where I just want to cry, yell at a toddler and kick someone's car. I've been doing this for one year, and I'm on the verge of throwing the towel.

Going back to college is out of the question, because I cannot afford college.

I need help on what to do before I break down and cry.

Have you considered relocating? Jobs in other parts of the country?

Old 08-07-2013, 03:28 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,436,140 times
Quote:
I have a facebook account, a twitter account, and linkedIn account, all of which I don't even know how to use,
Probably not the best thing an aspiring web designer would want to publicize.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:33 PM

305 posts, read 724,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Have you considered relocating? Jobs in other parts of the country?
No money to relocate. Live with parents

Old 08-07-2013, 03:36 PM

156 posts, read 447,478 times
Think of the people you know. Then think about ones that would want a website, either for themselves, a non-profit they work with or for a small business. It's probably easier than you think. Anyone you know active in a religious congregation, Catholic school, PTA, bakery, lawyer, realtor, etc.

Then offer to make them a really good website for free. This way you: A) gain experience, B) build a portfolio and C) get a word of mouth thing going.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,120 times
Quote:
I've read about networking when I was reading up on freelancing guides. I have a facebook account, a twitter account, and linkedIn account, all of which I don't even know how to use, let alone have any followers/likes.

I don't know how to network
It makes a difference if you live in a more urban area. If you are living in the backside of Oklahoma, then you have a bigger challenge. So, assuming you live in a city area or have access to one I'd suggest joining Toastmasters. Usually they are a more upscale group of people with a common interest. You might run into a mentor which evidently you don't have currently. You need one.

If not Toastmasters, then other civic clubs. If not that, then a sizable local church though many seem to have adverse opinions about religious groups. Still, you might try it if nothing more than to perhaps gain some peace in this storm you are in.

Other possibilities are volunteering perhaps at a hospital or some other institution where you come into contact with people. You never know who you might meet and who might know someone who knows someone etc. But you have to always be prepared to show your work in the most professional light as possible.

If you are desperate to leave home, then consider the military option unless you are overweight in which case you are more likely to be turned down by the services.

Lastly, having some sort of job, any job, is important. First to have a bit of income. Second, to have a bit of self-esteem. Three, to show employment on a resume.

Very few people actually wind up doing what they trained for. Sad but true. I've known very few in my 6 plus decades. Nice work if you can get it but most don't.

You sound as if your engine has stalled and you need a jump. You must become a "self-starter". No one is going to come knock on your door or send an email asking you to come to work for them. Wish it were not so, but that is the reality today.

Best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search