Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:37 AM

864 posts, read 871,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Also, I've never heard the word "Shtusim" before.
It's amazing what one can learn on CD. TWIW "shtushim" preceded "shtuyot".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 09:46 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,664,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
It goes beyond the Yiddish community and has found it's way into "Pop Culture" I am finding it being used quite often.

From what I gather

No longer a foreign word. Basically a word with no specific meaning. Nonsensical Slang.

shtuism and variations have become common on twitter, facebook, youtube and other social media sources.

Pretty much a form of anonymous/unknown/nonsense

I do not think is has any specific meaning nor is intended to. Sort like saying (Insert your own nonsense here)

I think it has reached the point of being "American Slang" and is no longer limited to Jews.
There is no way it's common American English slang.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:09 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
There is no way it's common American English slang.
Not really common nationwide-- YET.

However I find it often on Facebook, twitter and youtube.

I am finding it to be quite widespread on the Social sites. It has now been introduced to C-D if it had not already been.

It has spread beyond the Jewish community and seems to be gaining in popularity. American English seems to absorb words rapidly.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:14 AM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
What I'm struggling with, is how did some posters here come to the "conclusion" that Yeshivish is an inferior dialect (and therefore it's speakers are inferior).

Can anyone give me an example in the Torah that belittles the way so many Jews speak in order to validate the opinion that Yeshivish is inferior and should not be spoken?

Old 06-02-2014, 10:31 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I knew what Iwish meant, and I'm a bit offended that a poster keeps criticizing my speech patterns. I wonder if he criticizes Americans who speak with a Mexican accent, or Black English too? Kind of feels racist.

I talk the way I talk, because my community talks this way. Should I separate myself from my people and talk a foreign way? Somebody help me please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
What I'm struggling with, is how did some posters here come to the "conclusion" that Yeshivish is an inferior dialect (and therefore it's speakers are inferior).

Can anyone give me an example in the Torah that belittles the way so many Jews speak in order to validate the opinion that Yeshivish is inferior and should not be spoken?
You're saying Yeshivish is at the same level as Ebonics and should be given the the same respect as is given to it. Do you really understand in which direction you're stepping in?

So you do not understand that an accent is not the same as slang?

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-02-2014 at 10:59 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Not really common nationwide-- YET.

However I find it often on Facebook, twitter and youtube.

I am finding it to be quite widespread on the Social sites. It has now been introduced to C-D if it had not already been.

It has spread beyond the Jewish community and seems to be gaining in popularity. American English seems to absorb words rapidly.

Links please.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Importance of Clean Speech
Mordechai Torczyner's HaMakor: Social Behavior: Clean Speech and Nivul Peh

Old 06-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwishiwerethin View Post
It's amazing what one can learn on CD. TWIW "shtushim" preceded "shtuyot".

"shtushim" is a combined word from Yiddish adding English to the end of it. Thus its Yinglish. While "shtuyot" is Hebrew. And you think this Yinglish word is older than the Hebrew word?

Well let's see; Shtuyot is plural for shtut which is singular. Shtut (folly) was first used by Rashi. and Rashi wrote is what language?

Last edited by Pruzhany; 06-02-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 AM

938 posts, read 1,515,614 times
All Torah True Jews speak Yiddish, and they have kept the same Judaism for over 3000 years since Matan Torah (giving of the Torah) without any changes, therefore Yiddish comes from Mount Sinai. Whereas Hebrew was invented by the evil Tzioynim only 100 years ago. Therefore "shtushim" is older than "shtuyot". Checkmate, apikorsim!

Last edited by usuario; 06-02-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-02-2014, 11:18 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Links please.
Just some general links. I am not going to give out my personal accounts

Youtube

Twitter

Facebook

Yahoo

Google Groups

Some clips from the above links

New York - NY Muslim Groups Decry Hostile Atmosphere
Vos Iz Neias?
Sep 1, 2010 - The group was joined by supporters including U.S. Rep. Charles Rangel. ... means; this shows your head is not in Shtusim. Look up in Google "Islamic Martyr 72" and you will get the point. Note that the result can't be posted ...

Google Groups
Google Groups allows you to create and participate in online forums and ... <p>That shokel-reminder alone ken potur machen fun ale andere shtusim.

New York - Yahoo Again Tops Google In US Web Visitors In ...
Vos Iz Neias?
Oct 21, 2013 - Yahoo was ahead of Google in July and August, too. The last time that ... Oct 21, 2013 at 08:09 PM What a bunch of Shtusim!? Says: Report as ...

Jul 1, 2012 - YAHOO NEWS. {Matzav.com Newscenter}. Email This Post · Print This ... Shtusim v'havolim! Nancy Pelosi is just as a “friend” to us as Obama, ..

Shtusim | The Daily Psychedelic Video
dailypsychedelicvideo.com/2010/05/13/shtusim/
by Ido Hartogsohn - in 274 Google+ circles
May 13, 2010 - here are some more older psychedelic yogurt ads: Shtusim, Psychedelic […] ... You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism