Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 AM

2,981 posts, read 2,934,530 times

Advertisements

- I thought it was interesting that the link stated 'Easter' as being celebrated 550 yrs before 'Passover'.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:01 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,866,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Thanks, but I don't celebrate the dead saint holy-days of the catholic church.

It's why I came here.

And should it come up? I don't eat pork either.
That's nice and all, but it doesn't change the fact that Easter has nothing to with us.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:21 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Easter has nothing to do with Judaism. At all.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:30 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
The Torah was given to the Jewish people over 3300 years ago. The founder of Judaism (Avraham Avinu) was born over 3800 years ago. Christianity was started about 2000 years ago. It was only 1700 years ago that Christians established the date of Easter; the bunnies and eggs of secular Easter are rooted in the pagan fertility festival related to the spring equinox.

neither secular Easter (pagan) or religious Easter (Christianity) have anything to do with Judaism.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-23-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 03-23-2016, 09:54 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What's Easter have to do with Pesach is what I meant....

That's what I am thinking, what does Easter have to do with Passover?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:59 AM

23,165 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelationWriter View Post
- Thanks, but I don't celebrate the dead saint holy-days of the catholic church.

It's why I came here.

And should it come up? I don't eat pork either.

If you keep Easter, you keep a Babylonian Holy day of Tammuz, the Messiah of Babylon. Constantine and the church hated the Jews so much that they rejected anything Jewish and accepted anything Babylonian. The church went into persecuting anyone who kept Passover over Easter, and Easter was planned so that it would never fall on Passover.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:52 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,758,648 times
What is it with you people in this sub-forum. We have a member of the CD community who placed a simple question here. Instead of being a mensch and answering the question as one, a few of you gave antagonistic remarks. This is not YOUR private sub-forum. Anyone can post anywhere on CD. If you don't care for the question, then don't answer it.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Tzaphkiel is right. Easter has NOTHING to do with Judaism. It is the most holy day in the Christian religion. The only connection it could have, tenuous at best, is that what is called The Last Supper before the crucifixion of Christ was a Passover meal. Christians are not Jews, however, so although some Christians like to hold a "Seder" on Holy Thursday, it is not authentic. I participated in one such meal one year, and I felt uncomfortable at the readings about what God did for "us". The Exodus is not MY history, it belongs to the Jews, and I don't think Gentiles should claim it. Christians are Christians and Jews are Jews and that's the way the one true God intended it to be, in my sole opinion, of course. Respect one another.

The Orthodox/Eastern Christian Church bases its Easter date on the Jewish Passover, so theirs is in May this year. The Western Christian church bases the Easter date on the first Sunday after the first full moon after the first day of Spring. There was a full moon this week, and the first day of Spring was last Sunday; hence, the early Easter date in the Western Church. It's rare when there is no Easter in April on either calendar.

Obviously, nothing to do with Judaism. Also, the date (or the name) doesn't have much to do with Christianity either, but supplanted a pagan spring fertility observance in Europe. That's carried over in the secular bunny/egg symbols of the day. Fundamentalist Christians do not use the term or indulge in any practices carried over from paganism, instead preferring the label "Resurrection Sunday".

Here endeth today's Cultural Lesson.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
What is it with you people in this sub-forum. We have a member of the CD community who placed a simple question here. Instead of being a mensch and answering the question as one, a few of you gave antagonistic remarks. This is not YOUR private sub-forum. Anyone can post anywhere on CD. If you don't care for the question, then don't answer it.
As always...Good point...

Old 03-23-2016, 12:23 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Just giving my opinion as a person who is neither Christian nor Jewish.

Passover is a Jewish celebration.

Easter is a Christian Holiday.

The 2 events are not related. It is actually more of an accident when they do occur near each other. Just as there will be occasions when Easter and Passover will occur at about the same time as Eid ul-Fitr. It happens because we use different calendars Each with it's own unique dating method none of which correspond to the Gregorian secular calendar.

To make even more confusion not all Christians use the same calendar. For example this year Easter will be May 1 for The Greek Orthodox Christians and the Coptic Christians.

When one is trying to compare events in one religion with events in another religion it is like trying to compare doorknobs with whales. There is no relationship even if one claims there is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism