Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:20 PM

151 posts, read 88,299 times

Advertisements

Xians need Judaism as a basis for their religion. If Judaism is false, then their entire system fails. Judaism on the other hand does NOT need xianity, we stand perfectly well alone. WHY then do they spend so much time trying to convince themselves (and us) that we don't know the meaning of our prophecies, that we don't understand our Holy books and generally try to rewrite everything we already know is true?

xian: The "Old Testament" says this, proving xianity!

Jew: Actually, no it doesn't. Read this, look here and oh, by the way, that word means something else in Hebrew and was mistranslated.

xian: WRONG! If all that is true, then my faith system falls apart, so you are WRONG! MISLEAD! LIED TO!

Jew: *rolls eyes so hard they may get stuck that way*

~Yes, I realize I have answered my own question, but it is irritating to me. Lets call it a vent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2019, 12:58 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
Xians need Judaism as a basis for their religion. If Judaism is false, then their entire system fails. Judaism on the other hand does NOT need xianity, we stand perfectly well alone. WHY then do they spend so much time trying to convince themselves (and us) that we don't know the meaning of our prophecies, that we don't understand our Holy books and generally try to rewrite everything we already know is true?

xian: The "Old Testament" says this, proving xianity!

Jew: Actually, no it doesn't. Read this, look here and oh, by the way, that word means something else in Hebrew and was mistranslated.

xian: WRONG! If all that is true, then my faith system falls apart, so you are WRONG! MISLEAD! LIED TO!

Jew: *rolls eyes so hard they may get stuck that way*

~Yes, I realize I have answered my own question, but it is irritating to me. Lets call it a vent.
Ironic, isn’t it?...

Old 05-26-2019, 01:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
This only applies to Christians for whom the Bible is seen as the literal Word of God.

You are surely aware (I know that Richard1965 is because he hangs out in Christianity all the time ) that there are Christians who know about the mis-translations/mis-interpretations made in an attempt to cut the foot to fit the shoe. We acknowledge and understand that it was done, and we aren't going to argue about it because it doesn't change our spiritual outlook.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-26-2019 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: Fixed typo

Old 05-26-2019, 01:29 PM

4,143 posts, read 1,875,814 times
Quote:

Shalhevet, is somebody giving you a hard time for having become a Jew by choice? I imagine that those who choose to be Jews are going to be faced with criticism from some family members and old friends. If that's the case, don't let it get you down.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This only applies to Christians for whom the Bible is seen as the literal Word of God.

You are surely aware (I know that Richard1965 is because he hangs out in Christianity all the time ) that there are Christians who know about the mis-translations/mis-interpretations made in an attempt to cut the foot to fit the shoe. We acknowledge and understand that it was done, and we aren't going to argue about it because it doesn't change our spiritual outlook.
Awww, thanks, you made me ten years younger...

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 05-26-2019 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Edited my error

Old 05-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Awww, thanks, you made me ten years younger...
Haha, thanks for pointing out my typo. It's OK, I've still got 7 years on you.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Shalhevet, is somebody giving you a hard time for having become a Jew by choice? I imagine that those who choose to be Jews are going to be faced with criticism from some family members and old friends. If that's the case, don't let it get you down.
Thank you. You are a sweet person.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:

Actually, I don't hear a lot about this side. Glad to know these folks are out there!

Old 05-26-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Actually, I don't hear a lot about this side. Glad to know these folks are out there!
Thanks. A lot of thought and discussion has gone into the relationship between Christianity and Judaism in recent years. Even in my first Episcopal church back in the late '90s, when another Christian denomination announced its intention to focus on proselytizing to Jews, the EC came up with an official statement at their next convention to the effect that the Gentiles' covenant with God through Christ in no way cancelled out God's covenant with the Jews. Other discussions went to the next level and surmised that therefore attempting to draw a Jew away from Torah is an affront to God.

I'm in agreement with that theological position.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Thanks. A lot of thought and discussion has gone into the relationship between Christianity and Judaism in recent years. Even in my first Episcopal church back in the late '90s, when another Christian denomination announced its intention to focus on proselytizing to Jews, the EC came up with an official statement at their next convention to the effect that the Gentiles' covenant with God through Christ in no way cancelled out God's covenant with the Jews. Other discussions went to the next level and surmised that therefore attempting to draw a Jew away from Torah is an affront to God.

I'm in agreement with that theological position.
Thanks, MQ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism