Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

Much as I enjoy the Plaza, I really do hesitate to refer to it as a full-fledged "entertainment district." I still associate it primarily with shopping, which, I realize to some is high entertainment, but not to me. It has shopping and a movie theatre, which to me is pretty basic, in terms of entertainment. It has bars, but not really a notably higher concentration of them than some other areas in town. It has a sprinkling of street performers, and sporadic artsy events/fairs, but not enough to consider it a true entertainment district. The only worthwhile music venue there, to me, is Jardine's, and it's even a bit off the Plaza proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who goes to the Landing besides people from KC haha.
Every bachelorette party in the Midwest where the people are closer to STL than they are to Chicago or KC.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
P&L seems to have more diversity in terms of bar options.
Diversity in P&L establishment options? Do tell! Honestly. I seldom go there, but in part that's because in my experience, it's more or less pretty much all the same place. Am I really missing out on a diverse array of offerings that has heretofore escaped my notice?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:15 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Every bachelorette party in the Midwest where the people are closer to STL than they are to Chicago or KC.
I'm sure. It's where suburbanites (or really just out of towners) go. I have always avoided the Landing and don't know of many locals that have ever gone there.

Let's see Spaghetti Factory or any one of the many places on the Hill...

As far as the Plaza being an entertainment district, I consider it entertainment to people watch, listen to live sidewalk music, dine on a sidewalk cafe etc. and there are still some night spots. It's more mixed use, but it's still an entertainment district that is going to be more active more often. P&L is dead outside fri-sat nights.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:19 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Diversity in P&L establishment options? Do tell! Honestly. I seldom go there, but in part that's because in my experience, it's more or less pretty much all the same place. Am I really missing out on a diverse array of offerings that has heretofore escaped my notice?
Well lets see
You have Johnny's, Former Ragland Rd, Willies kitty corner to P&L, McFaddens, flying saucer those are more sitting with the guys, watching sports kind of places.

All the other places are more dancy but i would say but they aren't the pretentious clubby places you see in large cities where you need to look really nice to get in and where sometimes the bars need a higher girl to guy ratio before they start letting in more dudes.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:22 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,623,677 times
You're absolutely right that the Loop should be included kcmo-- I used to not count it in the city options, but the East loop has built up so much in the last decade, so it really hugs the city line these days!

Wash Ave has actually relatively few clubs these days -- as the neighborhood has gotten better, they've gone away. The neighborhood has every kind of everything at this point. Definitely make a point to discover it! I've never been to a Wash Ave club (not my scene) but I still heart the 'hood.

And honestly, CWE and the plaza have just about nothing in common other than both being walkable. Plaza and Clayton are more synonomous to me. I don't think KC has a CWE.

And I should have included Waldo and Martini Corner, but they're just so small I tend to forget they exist. I actually think my bigger issue with Waldo is that it feels so suburban and unwalkable -- probably because Wornall is such a big road and the parking lots are all in front of the buildings. The Grove has more than twice as many establishments even if it is still a work in progress.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:24 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
I would have to disagree. The real estate prices are higher in STL especially in west county, and the housing stock really can't compare with Kansas City or Johnson County. Zoning is poor in many areas. The STL medical and academic communities are far superior to KC, and the city's amenities are awesome, the Zoo, Missouri Botantical Garden, Forest Park. Many would agree that St. Louis is the "better" city, but I feel that Kansas City trumps St. Louis in livability and definitely in friendliness and acceptance of transplants. From my experience only, as I know many of the regulars on this forum are young singles with a different agenda and perception of the two cities. That said, STL is a great vacation destination for singles and families.
Are you implying singles have an agenda? WOW It's no wonder that KC has issues retaining and growing a larger single professional demographic outside of the already established core areas of the city and metro.

Housing prices? Negligible... They are both cheaper than the national average. MO has lower property taxes. KS has much higher taxes overall. 10% SALES TAX on food items! No thanks

Old 10-17-2011, 10:25 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Who goes to the Landing besides people from KC haha.

Lots of St. Louis people go there unless things have changed in the year and a half since I was last there.

I have been to the Landing tons of times and most of the time it was because a St. Louis friend of mine took me there. Every single time I have been it has been packed with people.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Wash Ave has actually relatively few clubs these days -- as the neighborhood has gotten better, they've gone away. The neighborhood has every kind of everything at this point. Definitely make a point to discover it! I've never been to a Wash Ave club (not my scene) but I still heart the 'hood.

I can only think of one place on Washington Avenue that I would classify as a club. Most of them are bars.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:27 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxontwinz View Post
I think St. Louis is the better city for tourists and single people who live and work in the core. But I think Kansas City is very family-friendly in terms of quality living.
How would it be any more family-friendly than most other metro areas? Please provide examples. I wouldn't immediately start pointing to JOCO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City