Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 11:03 PM

396 posts, read 998,666 times

Advertisements

My sons and I went down to Science City for a while last week. Then hopped on the Streetcar to see my wife at her work in the loop. Afterward we took in the rest of the route through the river market before heading back down to Union Station where we got off. The kids loved it as did I. It was fun to see how much downtown has changed in the last 10 years. Things I knew and had experienced in first fridays and just being out and about downtown but for some reason seeing it from the trolley gave it a new perspective. It's exciting to think what the next 5 years will look like downtown and along main street in particular. Also, the train was packed. Not annoyingly so but well used as it should be. There's a lot of great energy in this city and it's a really exciting time to live here. The streetcar will just add another piece to that puzzle imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 07:30 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,975 times
It was kind of insanely smart to make the Streetcar free to ride. There's absolutely no amount of revenue from fares that could compete with the enthusiasm generated by a no-hassle hop-on-hop-off won't-cost-you-a-dime ride through the city.

Ridership would have easily been cut in half, even if the fare was only $.50, plus it's expensive to maintain and enforce a ticketing system. Kudos, KC!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:29 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,252,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
It was kind of insanely smart to make the Streetcar free to ride. There's absolutely no amount of revenue from fares that could compete with the enthusiasm generated by a no-hassle hop-on-hop-off won't-cost-you-a-dime ride through the city.

Ridership would have easily been cut in half, even if the fare was only $.50, plus it's expensive to maintain and enforce a ticketing system. Kudos, KC!
That is what I was going to say - that being FREE definitely is a factor in the number of riders there are.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That is what I was going to say - that being FREE definitely is a factor in the number of riders there are.
I will savor this moment :-)

Old 06-30-2016, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 1,896 times
Default Kansas city's streetcar will be a failure

Twenty years ago this month Dallas opened the first two segments of its light rail system, which is now the longest light rail system in the United States. The service was instantly popular and has been expanded incrementally many times with extensions and new routes. It now carries over 100,000 passengers daily. It had all the trappings of a successful light rail system from the day it opened, June 14, 1996. A starting principal for good light rail starter line is to take people to jobs, go from somewhere to somewhere, and operate on a realistic schedule. If there is one thing important in transit planning it is this -- start SOMEWHERE and end SOMEWHERE! The starter Red and Blue lines (20 miles in length at opening) in Dallas took people from park and ride lots to jobs downtown with a realistic schedule and span of service. A half a loaf is not good enough -- you can't take people to jobs from nowhere. And that is what the Kansas City streetcar does. Union Station is nowhere.

The public has never in recent times embraced light rail in Kansas City, where the foundation for what I think would have been an excellent light rail service is in their very lap: the old Country Club line corridor from Waldo and points south, Main Street north of the Plaza, past Crown Center and Union Station and through the downtown Business District. It could even be extended to North Kansas City or, in a dream world, to the airport. But, no! This has all been rejected many times over. Kansas City decided to embrace a short (2 mile line) which is no more than a gimmick that might, at best, attract decent loads during some special event. This is not the stuff of a successful light rail line or even a promising starter line and it is certainly not the kind of base that is worth $102 million as an investment in future expansion. Here is my prediction. The Kansas City Streetcar, as it is branded, will never grow into anything but a free tourist trolley, tootling slowly around in mixed traffic for two miles, usually empty. Probably, the main attraction of the trolley is that it is free. This means taxpayers are paying a lot -- $102 million -- for a joke. The Mayor and City Council -- not to mention KCATA -- should be downright embarrassed.

Old 06-30-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post
Twenty years ago this month Dallas opened the first two segments of its light rail system, which is now the longest light rail system in the United States. The service was instantly popular and has been expanded incrementally many times with extensions and new routes. It now carries over 100,000 passengers daily. It had all the trappings of a successful light rail system from the day it opened, June 14, 1996. A starting principal for good light rail starter line is to take people to jobs, go from somewhere to somewhere, and operate on a realistic schedule. If there is one thing important in transit planning it is this -- start SOMEWHERE and end SOMEWHERE! The starter Red and Blue lines (20 miles in length at opening) in Dallas took people from park and ride lots to jobs downtown with a realistic schedule and span of service. A half a loaf is not good enough -- you can't take people to jobs from nowhere. And that is what the Kansas City streetcar does. Union Station is nowhere.

The public has never in recent times embraced light rail in Kansas City, where the foundation for what I think would have been an excellent light rail service is in their very lap: the old Country Club line corridor from Waldo and points south, Main Street north of the Plaza, past Crown Center and Union Station and through the downtown Business District. It could even be extended to North Kansas City or, in a dream world, to the airport. But, no! This has all been rejected many times over. Kansas City decided to embrace a short (2 mile line) which is no more than a gimmick that might, at best, attract decent loads during some special event. This is not the stuff of a successful light rail line or even a promising starter line and it is certainly not the kind of base that is worth $102 million as an investment in future expansion. Here is my prediction. The Kansas City Streetcar, as it is branded, will never grow into anything but a free tourist trolley, tootling slowly around in mixed traffic for two miles, usually empty. Probably, the main attraction of the trolley is that it is free. This means taxpayers are paying a lot -- $102 million -- for a joke. The Mayor and City Council -- not to mention KCATA -- should be downright embarrassed.
Very funny, Clay Chastain. We all see right through your "Meth Child" disguise. Better luck next time.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 AM

80 posts, read 111,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Very funny, Clay Chastain. We all see right through your "Meth Child" disguise. Better luck next time.
This ^

Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,880,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechthild View Post

I actually agree with most of what you say here. However, with or without light rail, the streetcar is a good fit for the urban core of KCMO.

It's too bad that KC is basically making the streetcar pretty much "it". The streetcar should be a component complementing a regional light rail system. But it's better than nothing.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I actually agree with most of what you say here. However, with or without light rail, the streetcar is a good fit for the urban core of KCMO.

It's too bad that KC is basically making the streetcar pretty much "it". The streetcar should be a component complementing a regional light rail system. But it's better than nothing.
I get why you mostly agree with this. But there's a big difference in Kansas City between what "should" be doable, and what actually is. That's why the streetcar is so instrumental. It bridges that gap.

And we can fantasize all we want about a light rail network from Waldo to the airport and points between, but you know better than anybody that the (lack of) density will not support it.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:54 AM

Can I just point out that this is MethChild's very first post on C-D, and his listed zip code is for middle-of-nowhere southern Pennsylvania?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City