Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:20 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
KC is never going to be the kind of city that compares to a European city. I don't expect it to ever compare to a coastal city either. At least I hope not!
KC would be wise to emulate some aspects of Eurpoean cities in order to reverse the obseity epidemic. More Walkable, bikable, human-scaled developments are what is needed for KC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
In all honesty, I moved to Kansas City (and to Missouri) three years ago, and prior to moving here, had no preconceived notions of the city one way or another...it was a big question mark to me. I had no image in my head, positive or negative, simply knew nothing about it and it hadn't even been slightly on my radar (I was, however, aware of it being a MO - go, primary grade geography!). And I've lived all my life in the upper midwest, I'm not some person from one of the coasts with little working knowledge of flyover country. The city just wasn't on my radar enough to warrant the formation of a preconceived notion. Having moved here, I have to wonder why. I consider it an underrated and well-kept secret, and think it's a great place to live.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,865,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
KC would be wise to emulate some aspects of Eurpoean cities in order to reverse the obseity epidemic. More Walkable, bikable, human-scaled developments are what is needed for KC.
Wise, yes. Willing, no. The culture (at least those with enough money to make a difference) won't allow for it.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Wise, yes. Willing, no. The culture (at least those with enough money to make a difference) won't allow for it.
The Upper Midwest is just more wise and "progressive" in that regard. I think inclusivity as well as high education/high income in places like MPLS are reasons why proaction to solve problems is common.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,986 times
Yep, Kansas City is composed soley of unwise, unnprogressive, grade school dropouts with low incomes. Nary a PhD to be found. Can't compare to Minneapolis, which one must assume was either too hard or long for you to spell.

Instead of moaning and groaning about how Kansas City needs to emulate Minneapolis, why don't you just live in Minneapolis and forget all about Kansas City and quit slamming it's unprogressive, undereducated, unwise, low-income people?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:25 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Why would those landed-class people even care, let alone not 'allow for it'?

Sure you're not confusing them with 'The Market', that ubiquitous thing that substitutes the judgment of the many for the few?

Old 06-20-2010, 09:37 PM

Kansas City is what it is. It's very diverse economically and in the education level of the people. There seems to be a bit more of an even mix between the poor, the rich, and the middle class than other places I've seen.

A quick observation I've made about KC is that it won't ever move in the direction other cities go in. Oddly, I think it's worked for them. The attitude here has tended to leave gaping holes in once-developed areas yet people here shrug it off like it's normal. I don't get that. I refuse to get that.
Jobs remain steady, housing market steady, nothing ever booms or busts. Those are good traits. KC attracts a certain kind of person which is okay.

It was the job thing that brought me here personally. It has not been a good experience for the most part, though a highly educational one. Now I'm anxiously looking for the opportunity to move on. The sooner the better.
Yep, Minneapolis is high on the list if I end up moving to another big city (if I have to). Not because it's a rich, educated town, but it just seems more... well..... I'll be nice and just say it's more to my liking (but not at the very top of my list).

Last edited by northbound74; 06-20-2010 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Why would those landed-class people even care, let alone not 'allow for it'?

Sure you're not confusing them with 'The Market', that ubiquitous thing that substitutes the judgment of the many for the few?
Okay, forget the money. It's the overall culture of KC that will never allow it to be anything different than what it is today. That works for people here and that's great.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:14 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,240,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I went to Portland, OR a few months ago and I was amazed at what a walkable, urban city it was with a great light rail system. Downtown was busy, great restaurants and shopping, and you could literally walk from downtown into neighborhoods. The Portland metro area is pretty close to the same size as the KC metro area, so it's really not about population, but how the urban environment is built and used. You could add a million people to the KC metro area and it probably wouldn't improve urban KCMO at all - they'd just build more spread out 'burbs further out to accommodate more people. I just personally prefer denser and more urban cities.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Yep, Kansas City is composed soley of unwise, unnprogressive, grade school dropouts with low incomes. Nary a PhD to be found. Can't compare to Minneapolis, which one must assume was either too hard or long for you to spell.

Instead of moaning and groaning about how Kansas City needs to emulate Minneapolis, why don't you just live in Minneapolis and forget all about Kansas City and quit slamming it's unprogressive, undereducated, unwise, low-income people?
Minneapolis/St. Paul does have a more highly educated population with a higher percentage holding advanced degrees. Also, even the urban counties in Minneapolis as a whole have a substantially higher median income than Kansas City. You can easily find this on the quickfacts census state lists. Minneapolis is also known for having a huge amount of biking and walking trails along the lakes. It does not have the obesity problems to the extent that the Lower Midwest and South do. The job market has better long-term performance than KC. The job market in KC is often highly overrated except for a few career fields. Jackson County, MO combined with Johnson County, KS have only experienced a net 2% gain in non-farm employment between 2000-2007.
I much prefer Minneapolis to KC even with some of the issues they have. It is also close to the Northwoods which is high on my priority list as well.
So, KC WOULD BE WISE to emulate the things that have worked very well there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City