Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:07 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,295 times

Advertisements

^^^^^Kentucky is 40th in per capita income, let's get our facts straight please. And if you adjust for the cost of living, Hawaii is 41st, just so you know.

After adjusting for cost of living and quality of life, Kentucky’s ranking improves from 40th to 36th. Most of the improvement is due to the fact that Kentucky’s cost of living is lower than the national average. Its quality of life index, while above that of surrounding states, is only slightly different from the national average. Thus, the quality of life adjustment has only a small effect and the cost of living adjustment has a relatively large effect.

Visvaldis, I work in Chicago a long time and while Chicago has it's finer points, it has as many negatives. My advice is that if you don't like where you are at, move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2007, 08:10 PM

17 posts, read 60,936 times
Default You're Missing the Reason KY and the Rest of the South is Nice

Visvaldis,

I think you're missing the point of why so many of us look for places like KY, VA, NC, TN, AR, etc. The south is real and the people for the most part are very real. It's not a bad thing to be supportive of the milatary or even support the current administration. People who are great to be around, are great to be around, not because they're well read but because they're sincere. They've got a strong sense of Christianity and BEING a Christian. Morals are important. Its too bad more people don't think morals and ethics are not more important. Maybe DC would be a better place (from both sides of the aisle) if this was true. I grew up on SoCal and have been living for the past 10 years in Texas. I've also had the opportunity to work all throughout the south and midwest (as well as overseas). I work with folks who have have their doctorates and multiple degrees and with folks who didn't graduate from high school (like my Dad). I learn things from them all whenever I interact with them. I wouldn't trade the opportunity to live in the south for anything (with the exception of the humidity) .

Bottom line, some folks are seeking the simpler life and other prefer a more elevated society. I personally as seeking a much slower life with folks who share some of my outlook. But then, that's me and that's why I like these forums. They have confirmed what I believed in the first case.

Take care!

TX2TN

Old 06-02-2007, 08:25 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
It's not a bad thing to be supportive of the milatary or even support the current administration.

TX2TN[/quote]
Thanks for your thoughts. I am a Viet Nam era veteran of the US Army. Like most people I also want to see all the troops safe and unharmed. I am not against the troops. I don't think I wrote that.
To make any comments about President Bush would steer this forum into an unintended direction, so I won't comment.
Kentucky is the subject.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,512,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Wait... I think I'm having deja-vu... deja-vu.. oh wait.. nope just cut and paste...

Anyway.. I relocated from CA back in 1991 and never regretted it for a day! I was not a Southern CA native, but a Northern CA native. I grew up in Sacramento, Eureka, Auburn, Susanville and lastly Santa Cruz. I think KY hands down is almost every Californians dream.. without them knowing LOL..

If you love city life and amenities.. definitely stay closer to the Louisville side of Kentucky.. or even far Western Ky.. mentioned by another poster above..

I think once the initial "culture-shock" wears off and you actually settle down from the break-neck pace of life you are most likely used to and don't even realize it, you will be extremely pleased with your move to Kentucky. While many say Eastern Kentucky is about 20 years behind it's times.. I think if you consider Kentucky as a whole... in comparison to 95% of the rest of the US.. Ky IS behind the times.. but that is a GOOD thing... we live in relative peace (no gang wars), our housing is much cheaper than almost any other state as a whole, we have a LOT of undeveloped land/nature without having the crush of millions of people living on that land.. while we don't have an ocean... we ARE touted as the state with the most lakes/water in the lower 48. You can have "fairly" big-city life and amenities, to farmland, to rolling hills, to the Appalachian Mountains, whatever your preference, Kentucky offers it!

I've said this somewhere before.. forgive my deja-vu... er cut & paste, but I now consider myself a Califorkian... born in Cali, but Kentuckian by choice!!!
As of Friday.. I guess I'll be changing that again... how bout it Blue62.. I'm with you girl.. I'm gonna be a PROUD Appalachian American!!!! ;o
Desiree, like myself was not born and raised here, but as you can tell by our posts, we love it here. There are many other "transplants" like ourselves here, because we just got tired of the big city life and the pace of it. There are a lot of DRs, Corporate ceos,etc who had to transfer here and also decided to stay. We love to visit Lexington and Louisville now and then for a weekend of shopping or UK Basketball. I love the idea of knowing who my neighbors are for miles around. I enjoy going to the bank, super market, or just about anywhere else and people know each other by first names. I am not afraid to have a flat tire and have to change it myself. Someone will stop and do it Of course there is a drug problem here,and we are all working together to get rid of it, and I am proud of the job so far. Last I heard most of the meth labs are gone. There is a roundup of new dealers almost monthly, and we have a couple of really good drug rehab centers. But at the end of the day, there is nothing more peaceful than sittin on the porch , hearing the night sounds of frogs, crickets, and night birds, and watching the moon and stars over the tops of the mountains, and the smell of pine trees and earth from the fresh plowed garden. What a lifeI love East Ky.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Well we should fit in well in KY - we love sports, religion, morals, conservatism and dull food - yipee, KY here we come!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Well we should fit in well in KY - we love sports, religion, morals, conservatism and dull food - yipee, KY here we come!
You might want to reconsider, our food is really not all that dull ... sorry.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:39 AM

92 posts, read 500,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I grew up in Chicago.
City or suburbs? I live in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, so it is sort of an experiment I do to everyone who is "from" Chicago.

Quote:
Before moving I knew it would be different, but how big of a chasm between Louisville and Chicago became evident after the first year.
Yeah. Moving from an MSA of something like 10 million to an area of barely over a million is a HUGE difference! Not shocking really.

Quote:
The problems I find are; no window to the outside world;
To be terribly honest, I do not even know what that means. I am pretty sure Louisville has a newspaper with a large circulation, they get cable, satellite, and internet news in Louisville, the New York Times is available in Louisville, as is just about any periodical you'd want. Exactly what information, or "window" is not readily at hand?

Quote:
too much of a preoccupation with football and basketball;
Like much of America, Louisvillians love their sports! Up here I simply cannot understand why people love baseball so much! It seems people are crazy about the Cubs or the Sox right now! And the Bulls - people were just in knots when it looked like they had a chance of doing well in the playoffs. Too bad, I suppose.

Quote:
too many people who have guns;
I agree with you there. Too many guns in this country. Oddly enough though, Chicago has some of the strictest controls on guns in America, and a pretty high crime rate. I am not drawing a parallel, but what exactly is your complaint here, other than an ideological one?

Quote:
too much religion and constant talk of morals;
I am actually a liberal Episcopalian, and I too am sometimes disheartened by extreme conservatism in some Christian denominations. However, it is no worse in Louisville than anywhere else in the South. While I dislike it, I also think you're simply hypersensitive to it because you're atheist.

Quote:
too much blind loyalty to conservatism,
As a Democrat, I would hardly call Louisville conservative. Is it liberal? No. Is it conservative? No. It is a pretty middle of the road kinda place. If you want liberal enclaves in Louisville, you could find them easily - as much of the old city is fairly liberal. The "new" city and suburban places are conservative, but you can't convince many people that a city with a Democratic, Jewish mayor(with a 70 percent approval rating) and a Democratic City Council is crazy conservative.

Quote:
lack of interesting radio and TV stations;
Hmmmm. I am pretty darned sure that I get the same crappy Comcast cable channels here in Chicago that I did in Louisville. As for radio - well, considering that is a constant complaint from just about every person in every city, I'll take it with a grain of salt. Even here in Chicago I scan the radio tons looking for a decent song I like.

Quote:
scoffing at "book learning";
Louisville is just about as educated as any other mid sized city in America. In the latest data released, in fact, educational attainment in Louisville was growing faster than national average. Rural counties are sadly mired in thier ignorance and poverty, but you can hardly fault Louisville for it.

Quote:
little interest for culture (movies, music, arts, etc);
I dunno. The city does have an Opera, Orchastra, Ballet, several professional theatre companies including Actor's Theatre of Louisville which hosts the nationally renowned Humana Festival of New American Plays (Did you ever attend that?), has independant movie houses in the Highlands, has a burgeoning art gallery scene. Blah!

Quote:
dull food;
This one really shocked me. Honest. To. God. Louisville has one of the best restaurant scenes for a city it's size in the country! We can thank Sullivan University for that in large part - one of the best culinary schools in the US - and many of it's grads stay in town. If you're stuck in Louisville for a lot longer you should really look up Robin Garr's website about dining in Louisville...Louisville HotBytes I think it's called.

Quote:
lack of decent jobs that pay a liveable wage. The per capita income in Kentucky ranks 46th of 50.
Kentucky does have a low per capita income, but it also has a cost of living well below the national average. Were you unable to find a good job? Much of the drag on Kentucky's per capita income is the struggling Appalachian region.

Quote:
I've never lived anywhere where so many grown adults have such a problem with 5th grade english. I have nothing against the accent, sometimes I find it appealing, but it would be great to hear correct grammar.
Well, at least you can spell grammar correctly - but your formatting leaves a lot to be desired. It's too bad you have to come up with ridiculous things to say about Louisvillians, considering grammar skills are being eroded nationwide by several cultural phenomena; such as text messages, instant messages, and other electronic forms of communication. I've witnessed MORE than my fair share of grammatical errors in beautiful Chicago. SHOCKING.

Quote:
To me it seems absurd to drive thru the eastern part of Kentucky which has a poverty rate of 25%, to look at the run down trailers or small houses, but in front are flags, biblical quotes on signs, and vote Bush/Cheney stickers.
Agreed! If they were simply atheist Democrats then all would be right with the world! I mean, Kentucky has NEVER had a Democratic governor and legislature to take care off them! Oh, wait...........

Things are never quite that simple, are they? But you know better.

Quote:
But it's not all bad. I have met interesting people, but not very often.
Yes. In a city of 1.3 million people I cannot find anyone who is interesting!

Quote:
Most are friendly, but I avoid any conversations about politics or religion.
Ummmmm. Did you mother not actually teach you that very thing? Never discuss politics or religion in polite company. Kentuckians call it manners. I am pretty sure Chicagoans do too becasue I haven't met anyone who has discussed those with me until we became friends. A pretty standard cultural folkway in the US. (Not in France though, WHICH I ADORE. I majored in French in college, and the French people love to talk about politics and religion with complete strangers)

Quote:
I have been to France several times and like the country, but I wouldn't dare mention that in Kentucky.
Are you sure you're not living in America circa 2002? You know as well as I do that France and the US have an incredibly complex relationship. We love each other and hate each other. Kentuckians pretty much reflect the general attitudes of the nation as whole.

Quote:
I don't vote Republican,
Good, Neither do a lot of Louisvillians. Kerry carried Louisville. It is represented by a Democrat in Congress. The city council in controlled by Democrats and the mayor is a Democrat. The Kentucky House is controlled by Democrats, and the governorship is very much up for grabs this November.

Quote:
don't own guns,
Good for you!

Quote:
I am an aethiest,
Best of Luck!

Quote:
don't believe Rush,
Most thinking people don't (it is sad some people think being called a "dittohead" is a good thing; they don't realize it is becasue they only repeat like a parrot what Rush says) - A lot of Kentuckians don't believe him either.

Quote:
don't drink Bud Light,
Um. Ok. I am pretty sure Bud Light is common throughout the US - I know I see a lot of people ordering that here in Chicago at least. And California. And Florida. Hmmmmmm.

Quote:
don't desire to own a Harley,
Okay. A lot of very decent people ride motorcycles. And a lot of decent people don't ride motorcycles. Your point being...?

Quote:
and all that indicates that Kentucky is not for people like me. But I'm stuck here for a while.
DRAT!

Quote:
If anyone remembers, the media spectacle called Justice Sunday happened in Louisville. The newly built Creation Museum is in Kentucky.
Creation Museum is a privately funded enterprise, and Justice Sunday was a complete disgrace to Christianity. But it could have just as easily been held anywhere else.

Quote:
In 2008 the NRA will hold its annual convention in Louisville.
I generally disagree with the NRA, but I sure do love their money! Louisville has the hotel rooms and the convention center to hold the event - and it will pump millions into the local economy. All ideological slants aside, it is simply business.

Quote:
One thing I've noticed is that music groups don't have concerts in Kentucky, other than Country, Southern Boogie or Kid Rock.
There is actually a very simple explanation for it - it is called Freedom Hall; and it sucks. No one wants to play there, it's that simple. Out of the top 50 metros in America, Louisville was 50th in the number of big name concerts. That has nothing, however to do with the citys political slant, and more to do with the fact that there is no decent arena. Thankfully there are TWO new venues coming - the downtown arena and a large ampitheatre, a la Verizon Music Center in Indianapolis, at the Kentucky Fairgrounds. Write back in 5 years and let me know how it goes then.

Quote:
Art exhibits detour Kentucky.
Really? I mean, I do realize the Speed Art Museum (which is, by the way, currently designing a major renovation and expansion) is small, but I know I see traveling exhibits in Louisville often. Museum Plaza is going to contain an artkunst, a la European style, for such large modern art exhibits downtown, and the Frazier History Museum is the only museum in the US to have a permanent presence from the Royal British Armories. Of course, these are all small stones in comparison to Chicago, but again, the scale is also much different. And if you have actual inside knowledge of travelling exhibits snubbing Kentucky because it is Kentucky, and not becasue the Speed Museum is not currently able to handle them, then by all means, please share!

Quote:
How Louisville can financially maintain a symphony orchestra is beyond me.
I dunno really either. I know no one goes to it.

Quote:
The guest list for the recent Kentucky Derby was mostly pro athletes and run-of-the-mill actors from TV shows, such as soap operas. Even the Louisville Courier-Journal termed it a b-list of guests.
Yeah. But I fail to see how this means anything? Although the Queen of England was somewhat cool.

Quote:
If you are interested in world events and like culture you'll be disappointed. For lack of culture the Features section of the Courier-Journal has little more to report other than recipes and fashion tips.
Hmmmmm. It is a mid-sized city. What were you honestly expecting? You came to Louisville because of beautiful scenery and you liked to camp. Sadly, not everyplace can be everything. Tradeoffs were too much for you in Louisville.

Quote:
Once, as I purchased a copy of the New York Times, the clerk sneered at me.
Can you actually prove he/she sneered because you bought the New York Times? If Louisvillians are as ignorant as you want to portray them to be, why or how would they be smart enough to begrudge you for buying the Times?

Quote:
The people are not mean and nasty, they are easy to engage in pleasant conversation, but I have become cautious about what I say. Make it easy on yourself...Don't knock Bush, don't criticize guns, under no circumstances don't ever say any negatives about the war in Iraq, also do not defend minorities or stick up for other religions.
Some of this is simple manners when talking to strangers, and some of it you pushing your own agenda, and some of it is ignorance from Kentuckians, no doubt. But ignorance is not a special thing only found in Kentucky.

Quote:
This caution goes double when in rural Kentucky. Be very careful. Make sure you know who you're talking to.
Again. If you're polite to strangers, they're polite to you. I certainly would never barge down into Southern Illinois blathering on about liberal Chicago - it's called being self-aware.

Quote:
Most people are honest

Generally, I agree with that statement about all Americans

Quote:
To my surprise, the poorest counties have the lowest crime rates.
There are different dynamics at work in relation to poverty and crime in urban and rural areas of this country. This statement is factual, but what is the point of it? It'd say there are a lot of counties in Southern Illinois that are poorer than Cook and have almost no crime - it's not surprising.

Quote:
I have also met Kentuckians who were very informed about current world events, thought the Bush administration was corrupt, that the war was a mistake, appreciated the arts, and had thorough knowledge of foreign films.
Yes. I am sure those people love being your token Kentuckians! You know, the smart few among the ignorant, poor masses.

Quote:
I'm sure there are many Kentuckians who cringe at being unfairly stereotyped, and I sincerely apologize to them. I only wish I could meet more of you.
Whenever someone has to "sincerely apologize" they should probably delete what they've written. I dunno, just the manners I learned in backward Kentucky.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:22 AM

Well said, LouisvilleJake ... to bad I'm a illiterate, uncultured, backwoods, dye in the wool Conservative-Christian Kentucky because I'd love to know what Visvaldis meant.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:36 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Default To Davart and Louisvillejake

I appreciate your thoughts and comments to what I've written. They give me something to ponder. I actually welcome contra opinions and I'm not offended.
I grew up and lived in the Logan Square area of Chicago. After almost 40 years of residence I know quite a bit of the city's history. Many years ago I spent five years driving a taxi, so the city map is still in my head.
Responding to the thoughts of my quotes would lead into other themes such as morals, religion, and politics. And would require several pages.
But here's a starter...
I have nothing against sports of any kind. My preference is for baseball, especially the Cubs. I casually follow their rank in the standings, may read an article about them, and even watch a game on TV. I don't mind meeting people who talk about the Cubs, but I think that a few comments about the team is enough. I'm not interested in hearing an in-depth analysis of what ails them, who is to blame, etc. I don't wear any Cubs apparel. If the Cubs win a game, that's fine, if they lose, it doesn't ruin my day. If the Cubs win the World Series or if they have a dismal season I don't push the panic button, feel depressed, nor demand an accounting and immediate action to improve. My life doesn't revolve around the Cubs. However the Cubs perform will not have any impact on my life. I treat it as such. I know many Chicagoans like the Sox. I have no hostility for them. Baseball is only a sport.
As for the dull food...
I have no doubt that Louisville has some very fine restaurants. I'm sure that if was willing to spend $40+ (or even more) at restaurants per meal, 2-3 days per week I could enjoy some delicious food. That would probaly be the case in any city. By that comment I was thinking more in the realm of grocery shopping. In Chicago a deli is more than different ways to prepare ham and they offer more than five varieties of cheese. Also the prices are within reach of the worker's wages. Do you prefer your Oscar Meyer pre-packaged or sliced while you watch?
If you like I can write several negative things about Chicago. There's plenty.
Davart suggested I move. That is the obvious solution to my problem. Life can be much easier just about anywhere to one who earns an annual income at or near six digits. That's not me. I'm working on moving and it's not as easy in my situation. Moving would certainly help you get rid of me and maybe I could be happier somewhere else. Appealing thought?

Old 06-03-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Davart suggested I move. That is the obvious solution to my problem. Life can be much easier just about anywhere to one who earns an annual income at or near six digits. That's not me. I'm working on moving and it's not as easy in my situation. Moving would certainly help you get rid of me and maybe I could be happier somewhere else. Appealing thought?
There are many, neigh 1000's of places you can live for less than a 6 digit income, however you will have to make compromises such as accepting you don't make a 6 digit income and can't live in a urban high-rise on Michigan Ave. or Lakeshore. We call these around here a reality check, you can have a Champaign taste on a beer budget, but odds are it will only be a taste and you'll drink beer. Metaphorically (Is that a 5th grade word?) speaking course.
Sounds to me that you are just not happy were you are at in life or the hand life dealt you thereof, that my friend has nothing to do with Kentucky. Embitterment does have a way of tainting ones views and perception. You choose to be happy or not, it has nothing to do with your surroundings or location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky