Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 11:25 AM

22 posts, read 69,219 times

Advertisements

I've Been Subcribing To The Johnson City Press On Line For A While As Another Information Resource Pending A Possible Relocation. I Have Noticed That There Have Been A Number Shootings Recently, One Near The Waffle House And Another In Front Of A Place Called Gatsby's. When I Visited In November There Was A Murder In The City. There Also Seems To Be A Lot Of Burglaries And Other Property Crimes In Each Days Police Blotter. I Understand That Johnson City Has 50,000+ People And With That Population You Should Expect Some Crime. There Are Several Cities In My Area((nyc Metro Suburban Area) With Similar Demographics That Dont Seem To Have Near The Level Of Violent Offenses Occuring. I Must Say That I Did Not Feel Unsafe When I Have Visited Johnson City But Reading The Local Paper Seems To Show Another, Lesser Side Of Jc. I Recognize The The Media Loves Bad News, It Sells. Anybody With Comments,opinions Advise, Ect. Thx Jm17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 AM

68 posts, read 251,200 times
I subscribe to the online newspaper also . We hope to be for our first visit , in September . I also read the police beat , but the section gives me a chance , to see the crime areas and what is happening . I do not have negative feelings on the area . Crime is everywhere , and it is just going to happen . Most serious crime seems to be drug related , and the night time , when most honest people do not go to these areas . The hometown that we live in Florida , has the same problems . Lol , just don't go to those areas when I know it is happening . We cannot wait to get to the Tri-City areas . Know this is where we will probably settle down , when our home sells here .

Old 07-11-2007, 11:47 AM

506 posts, read 1,474,805 times
It isn't bad. There has only been 1 murder this year and that was two homeless guys killing another homeless in the shelter.

Most crime is domestic.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure that the crime is isolated to certain areas at certain times. I didnt mention that I was a cop for more than 20 years. like most cops you develop a sense about such things. I have visited Johnson City 3 times in the past year like I said before I was very comfortable in Johnson City and still intend to move there. Just using the most basic of investigative skills, asking questions. Thanks again!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:43 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
Hello jm17, I won't critique your posts for spelling errors (not sure what the point of that post was!) But I will tell you I live in North Johnson City and I have 3 children. I used to live in South East FL. I feel very safe here! One thing I have noticed about any crime here in this area is it is usually domestic. If someone shoots a gun at someone, it is usually someone they know, are married to or related to. Other than that it is usually drug related. I agree, just stay away from the few bad parts that might have break in issues (again, you usually find out in the end, the person who broke into the home knew, or was related to the home owner). As far as doing day to day business and such, I can't think of a place in the Tri-Cities that it worries me to leave my car parked out front or such thing.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:11 PM

The Point Of My Post Was To Thank Those Who Responded To My Initial Question. I Thought I Would Mention My Own Experience Visiting Jc For The Benefit Michgoner And Others Who Have Apparently Not Visited Before. Since The Topic Was Crime I Cited My Past Career Experience. Not At All Different From Your Experience In South East Florida As Opposed To Johnson City. It Was Helpful And Informative. I Apologize If Any One Was Offened, It Was Not My Intent At All. Thx Once Again To All.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:54 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,315,676 times
You didn't offend me in the least.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:55 AM

64 posts, read 243,086 times
Default Crime

When I read of the first murder of the year in JC a few weeks ago, I put it in context with Buffalo, NY, which has a handful of murders by the end of each January. Most of the stuff I've read about the Tri-Cities recently involves employee theft or domestic violence.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,461 times
During my time at ETSU (recently received my M.A in Criminal Justice) we studied in depth crime in the area, and the crime rate is well below the national average, as well as below average for cities of similar size. I either personally know or have met many of the police officers in Johnson City, Kingsport, and Jonesborough, and I must say we have a very competent police force in this area. There is not a street in the Tri-Cities that I would feel unsafe walking down at night! The Johnson City Press, as well as the television outlets in this area give a great deal of attention to each individual crime, making it seem much worse than it is.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:18 PM

9 posts, read 34,886 times
I also wonder about the crime rate in Johnson City.....what the members on the forum here have to say differs from Sperling's Places Rated statistics. Johnson City numbers seem to be fairly high (violent crime) and way above the U.S. average.

I'm from a city in upstate New York that averages one murder a week, but it's numbers are lower or even with Johnson City. How many murders have there been in Johnson City to date (late October)?

harryr3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol