Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 09:11 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalshPA View Post
You said "The most I pay in dead of winter with heat pump is $220 a month, but then again, been almost that high this summer!"

How much square footage are you heating? (And I assume AC in summer?)
Almost 1600 sq ft and I can honestly say, my family is NOT on the conservative side when it comes to that dang thermostat!
I am freezing now, hubby says he's hot and the thermostat is set at 65.
We also have several computers, 2 fridges and an up right freezer (feeding 3 growing boys) and son plays electric guitar, stereos and TV's on a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 PM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
65??? Oh my word!

Old 09-09-2007, 07:40 AM

36 posts, read 148,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWalshPA View Post
You said "The most I pay in dead of winter with heat pump is $220 a month, but then again, been almost that high this summer!"

How much square footage are you heating? (And I assume AC in summer?)
We have 1900 square feet, thermostat set on 72 in winter and 78 in summer. In the last 16 months our highest winter bill was about $90, and for our recent record hottest August, it was $58. Everything is electric.

-dan z-

Old 09-09-2007, 12:32 PM

27 posts, read 59,647 times
Thumbs up Thanks MB & DanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielz View Post
We have 1900 square feet, thermostat set on 72 in winter and 78 in summer. In the last 16 months our highest winter bill was about $90, and for our recent record hottest August, it was $58. Everything is electric.

-dan z-
"Almost 1600 sq ft and I can honestly say, my family is NOT on the conservative side when it comes to that dang thermostat!
I am freezing now, hubby says he's hot and the thermostat is set at 65. We also have several computers, 2 fridges and an up right freezer (feeding 3 growing boys) and son plays electric guitar, stereos and TV's on a lot too. - MB"

Wow! Thanks to both of you for those rates...will be a welcomed savings for us.

Our 3600 sf home demands $500 -$900 electrical bills during the summer (with thermostat set at 78 -80). In winter, it drops to around $300, but we turn off the thermostat to NOT use furnace.

We're not all electric, so propane adds another $200 - $500 monthly, depending on the amount of dryer use and occasional furnace.

I think last winter we turned the furnace on for parts of about ten days during our freeze...rest of the time we use our fireplaces. Of course, if the tree huggers get their way, we may not be able to burn NATURAL stuff in the fireplace, and our bills will "heat up" (pun intended ).

MB...you and my better half will get along well! She freezes when the ceiling fan blows with AC at 80! If it wasn't so expensive, I'd keep it at 65...easier and more flattering for her to put on extra clothes to keep warm than for me to remove any more...I already live in tank tops, shorts and California shoes (sandals or tennies)!

Phew! I'm sweating just typing about this!

Take care, and thanks again to both of you.

In CA.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
I'm considering a move to Johnson City. Thanks to all for the winter weather info. But I'm interested in the summer weather; particularly humidity levels? I know Johnson City has some elevation which would seem to make it cooler than the 'lowlands' like Knoxville, etc (been there in summer and it was pretty humid). Was in JC in April last year and it was perfect.

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:51 AM

8 posts, read 50,465 times
Default Tri-Cities Area: Kingsport

I am expecting a job interview invitation from a facility in Kingsport, TN. As interesting as the weather info is - I am really interested in hearing about what summers are like, I would also appreciate some info about "life" in the area is like.

Is there a general acceptance of diversity & tolerance?

How favorable is the cost of living?

Outdoorsey 'stuff' to do?

Restaurants & nightlife?

Good place/safe place to raise children?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Last edited by DWKelley; 10-21-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: Forgot to include items

Old 10-21-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avignon490 View Post
I'm considering a move to Johnson City. Thanks to all for the winter weather info. But I'm interested in the summer weather; particularly humidity levels? I know Johnson City has some elevation which would seem to make it cooler than the 'lowlands' like Knoxville, etc (been there in summer and it was pretty humid). Was in JC in April last year and it was perfect.

Thanks for any info.
Hello, see answers below. You both asked the same questions so I figured I would answer once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWKelley View Post
I am expecting a job interview invitation from a facility in Kingsport, TN. As interesting as the weather info is - I am really interested in hearing about what summers are like, I would also appreciate some info about "life" in the area is like.

Is there a general acceptance of diversity & tolerance?

How favorable is the cost of living?

Outdoorsey 'stuff' to do?

Restaurants & nightlife?

Good place/safe place to raise children?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Hello,

As far as summers, it can get hot and humid but it usually doesn't last long. This past summer however, was VERY hot and humid, we had and still have a drought. This has been a very abnormal year. The average summer temps I believe are in the high 80's and humidity is usually mid to low. But as the saying here goes, "if you don't like the weather now, wait a few minutes, it will change." hhahahahaahha It usually warms up to the 70's in early May, back to the 70's in October. Again, this year, not so much.

Is there a general acceptance of diversity & tolerance? For the most part yes, you get out to the more rural areas in the county, I mean way out, maybe not so much.

How favorable is the cost of living? Depends where you are coming from. I see you are from N.H. We have MUCH higher sales tax. 9.75% on everything except groceries which are taxed at 8%...yes, all groceries are taxed. But as far as property taxes, you will get a good giggle over your first bill and happily write the check. Mine for example are less than $600 a year for a about 1500 sq ft house. It is a bit more for city and county taxes, in Kingsport city limits for the same 1500 sq ft I would say around $1,000 a year.
Electric rates are very cheep in Kingsport, I'd say right around the $100 a month for a family of 4. Water should be about $50 for the same.

Outdoorsey 'stuff' to do? A BUNCH. In the summer Kingsport has several festivals and on every Friday and Saturday nights there is music in the street kinda thing in downtown. There is the Holston River that runs through town and there is the Holston Lake on the east side where Warriors Path State park is where there is swimming, boating, fishing and other water sports. Playgrounds and picnic area. There is the "Green belt" that runs through Kingsport as well which offers bike and walking paths.

Restaurants & nightlife? There are a lot of restaurants in Kingsport and JC, see the several other threads on here about the favorites.

Good place/safe place to raise children? I believe so and I have 2 children, I feel safe and so do they. I moved out of FL for this reason, I did not feel safe there and did not like the schools at all. It took me 3 moves within TN in the past 10 years to find just the right place for us but it is the Tri-Cities. We live in Gray, my office is in Kingsport, hubbies is in Elizabethton, we shop in JC and we love it here.

Hope that helps!

Old 10-23-2007, 10:52 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
mb, that feller sounds like a dagnabbed yankee. If he's lookin fer good food though, he should try McPossum's Roadkill Grill. Also come down to Limestone on Sat. nite for the "Barn Hoedown".

Old 10-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
mb, that feller sounds like a dagnabbed yankee. If he's lookin fer good food though, he should try McPossum's Roadkill Grill. Also come down to Limestone on Sat. nite for the "Barn Hoedown".
Oh Williboy, you are AWFUL!!! LOL!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM

57 posts, read 153,530 times
Sugar Mountain and Beech are fun but Sugar is expensive and Beech doesn't have the greatest snow. We love going to Appalachin to snowboard. It has smaller slopes, but that means that the snow is more like powder and less like ice. It also has a great park for the more experienced boarders and skiers. We usually go on Friday or Saturday nights and only pay $17/person. I think when my husband went to Sugar it was $60/person. Also, Sugar is alot more crowded and the lift lines are alot longer. These Ski Resorts are in the Banner Elk/Boone area of North Carolina and are about an hour drive but they are worth going to instead of Wolf Laurel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol