Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:14 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times

Advertisements

I am so very happy that this has all worked out for you, bbkaren. It has been a long struggle, I'm sure. Perserverance can certainly pay off in the end.

Isn't it wonderful to meet not just one, but a collection of people who were so willing and able to help you figure something out for your septic on that happy sliver by the lake.

It sounds like you found a winner with the septic contractor. Enjoy your tent for awhile, and a nice house later on. I hope that your NJ house goes quickly and you have enough $$ to move on to a new life - without a mortgage and with a bathroom!!

Congratulations on your success. It will inspire others who know what you have gone through to keep the faith and get through their own "what do we do next?" situations.

Hope we are Tennessee neighbors someday soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'm happy to report that, with some creative house placement and septic design, we're going to be able to put a house on our little sliver of pie near Watts Bar Lake.

We thought it would be simpler, but we just couldn't determine whether or not the lot is buildable until now.

We've had extensive involvement with the zoning gal, the dirt guy, the groundwater guy, and now the septic contractor, to determine if in fact a septic can go on that land and finally we have the right combination to make it work! We're only going to be able to put in a 2 bedroom septic but that'll work for us by the time we move down.

I've also heard that banks won't finance a home with less than 3 bedrooms but Lord willing, we'll be selling this place in NJ once the market improves and hopefully we won't be mortgaging.

I have to say, what a bunch of really nice people I've been exposed to during this transaction--from the Zoning Officer, the Tax Assessor's Office, Groundwater Department, the TVA people, not to mention the surveyor and soil consultant...everyone has been just terrific! I have yet to meet or speak with anyone who sounds or seems suspicious of me, or isn't just as friendly and helpful as can be.

The septic contractor made a special trip all the way out to the site then spent an hour and a half with me on the cell phone discussing how to make the septic work today. When I asked him to let me know what I owed him for his time, he said, "Ma'am, you don't owe me a dime. It's been nice talking to you and I hope you'll consider using my company when the time comes". This after giving me step-by-step instructions on what to do after we acquire the property.

We'll be closing in a couple days and will at that point (and for the next couple years until we're ready to build), have a terrific new place to pitch a tent on our upcoming vacations!!

We're so excited to be (almost) Tennessee landowners! hooray! What a journey this has been...and we're not even there yet--
That's great news! I'm so happy for you, and I'm glad you've had such good people working with you. Please keep us posted on how things develop with your new house. Remember to take some pictures for us!

And best of luck to you as you sell your home in NJ. A bunch of us down here are rooting for you!

Old 09-25-2007, 01:51 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Wow, bbkaren! Congratulations!

I'm so glad everyone was nice and it all worked out for you!

Old 09-25-2007, 07:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Congrats Bbkaren! That is great news! So glad everything seems to be working out just the way you hoped it would.
( oh and just a side note, it is only 1 bed rooms and under certain sq footage that have a hard time with a mortgage )

Old 09-25-2007, 07:36 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Thanks everyone! We're not living there yet and won't for a few years (got to get the big kids out of the nest first). But it feels good to know we have somewhere to go that's ours!

Mouse, yeah, actually the soil consultant told us that anything under 3 bedrooms a mortgage company won't touch. Not sure if he knows that for sure, but whatever; we can't afford a mortgage with our $3500 a month payment now anyway. We'll have to wait for a real estate upswing here in NJ and pray for a profit off this place to build in TN.

It'll take a while to figure out but we have a few years to work out the details!

Old 10-03-2007, 08:45 AM

22 posts, read 52,597 times
I have read that any town west of Knoxville has a high crime rate, mostly because of the lack of education and jobs. Is there any truth to this? Dandridge sounds too good to be true. Before we plan our research trip we'd like to eliminate cities/towns with higher than normal crime rates. Also, how far away are medical facilities and shopping
areas? If you have any other ideas on a small town with lots of trees and close to some water, could you drop us a hint or two?
Any help would sure be appreciated

Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
gayle, if you've read this thread, you've followed our journey and know what we've learned.

And, I just wanted to say that it's official, we finally closed Wednesday on our little slice of Tennessee and couldn't be happier!

Can't wait to come back down and visit "our place"!

Thanks to all of you for your wonderful support and help--Lord willing we'll be Tennessee bound for good, in a few years. In the meantime we visit!

Last edited by bbkaren; 10-05-2007 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Congratulations, bbkaren. What a feeling that must be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Thanks everyone! We're not living there yet and won't for a few years (got to get the big kids out of the nest first). But it feels good to know we have somewhere to go that's ours!

Mouse, yeah, actually the soil consultant told us that anything under 3 bedrooms a mortgage company won't touch. Not sure if he knows that for sure, but whatever; we can't afford a mortgage with our $3500 a month payment now anyway. We'll have to wait for a real estate upswing here in NJ and pray for a profit off this place to build in TN.

It'll take a while to figure out but we have a few years to work out the details!
Congratulations on closing, bbkaren. It is great that you have a few years to work all the details out. You will be in fine shape by the time all of the children are off on their own. (Just don't count too much on all that "leaving the nest" thing. Those little dickens find a way every once in a while to wiggle back into the nest! Be tough!!!! You can do it - maybe.)

Enjoy your many returns visits to your homestead over the next few years. Best wishes to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville