Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:08 PM

109 posts, read 359,371 times

Advertisements

You guys were not kidding about the beauties of TN...WOW..that is how I can describe this town....Anyone who is considering relocating to this area I give this city TWO THUMBS UP!!!! I am staying at the Mainstay Suites in Alcoa and I have to say, from what I have toured so far IT HAS BEEN absolutely wonderful!!!!...It is nice to see what is discussed in these threads about relocating here..I mean see it all with your own eyes...I will be staying here until Memorial Day, and then unfortunately I must return to Miami...I did pretty well on my job interview, but as I suspected it involves sales and 100% commission..I cannot look for any jobs like this until I am familiar with the area..plus I need a solid base job before moving here...can't live for free ...We went to the smokey mountains in Maryville and what a MARVELOUS, WONDERFUL, OUTSTANDING view ; and seeing the sun go down from the mountains ..WOW...I still have a lot to see before I leave, but I thought I would share some things with ya'll... My future neighbors...hehehe..Any suggestions on what I MUST SEE before I go??? Tomorrow we will be touring East TN , we have already toured West TN...Also I would like to know your opinion on East or West Knoxville?? which one is better???
Thanks for your help...I am taking lot's of pictures and will post as soon as I develop them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
East Knoxville is a LOT of ghetto. WEST is a lot of congestion.

Go to Cade's Cove. Go down 321 and into the national park. You will love it.

I'm here if you have any questions.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:31 PM

4 posts, read 21,877 times
Default We are looking in some of these areas

My husband it trying to avoid a huge commute while he interns at the Department of Justice downtown, do you have any suggestions? One neighborhood we were looking at was Historic 4th and Gill?

Old 05-24-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
East Knoxville is a LOT of ghetto. WEST is a lot of congestion.

Go to Cade's Cove. Go down 321 and into the national park. You will love it.

I'm here if you have any questions.
Thanks Hiknapster....We'll do that on Sunday....I am absolutely loving this town!!!! I am going to check out the Cedar Bluff area and then will head to East Knox...let me know if I miss out on any good places to visit

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Okay. Keep in touch and I'll try to help you out.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM

31 posts, read 135,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzycue View Post
You guys were not kidding about the beauties of TN...WOW..that is how I can describe this town....Anyone who is considering relocating to this area I give this city TWO THUMBS UP!!!! I am staying at the Mainstay Suites in Alcoa and I have to say, from what I have toured so far IT HAS BEEN absolutely wonderful!!!!...It is nice to see what is discussed in these threads about relocating here..I mean see it all with your own eyes...I will be staying here until Memorial Day, and then unfortunately I must return to Miami...I did pretty well on my job interview, but as I suspected it involves sales and 100% commission..I cannot look for any jobs like this until I am familiar with the area..plus I need a solid base job before moving here...can't live for free ...We went to the smokey mountains in Maryville and what a MARVELOUS, WONDERFUL, OUTSTANDING view ; and seeing the sun go down from the mountains ..WOW...I still have a lot to see before I leave, but I thought I would share some things with ya'll... My future neighbors...hehehe..Any suggestions on what I MUST SEE before I go??? Tomorrow we will be touring East TN , we have already toured West TN...Also I would like to know your opinion on East or West Knoxville?? which one is better???
Thanks for your help...I am taking lot's of pictures and will post as soon as I develop them..
Have you been to the Sevierville-Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg yet?
I think you will love it. We have a lot of tourist things here,but don't let that scare you away. Matter of fact you might like some of it. There are plenty of out of the way, in the country stuff things here to. Git2know.com well help fill you in on what to expect.

I love Maryville. My "allergy doctor" is there..he he
Barry

Old 05-25-2007, 06:11 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,191 times
Please keep sharing the information and more details. I'm also in discussions for a job transfer and had 3 short visits so far.

I would like to suggest you to visit Holston Hills on East Knox, some beautiful homes there and easy access to I-40. I'm exploring more the East side because there's where I have to live due to the job being in Morristown.

There is a nice restaurant on I-40 (exit 398 I believe - Strawberry Plains Exit) called Puleo's (we loved it).

Good luck ! I wish I was there now :-(

Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,188,672 times
I work in west Knoxville and live in Maryville.

Things to see in Maryville. Park downtown and take a walk on the beautiful greenways. Go up to the Foothills Parkway and take a drive down it, looking at the mountain laurel in bloom and the views of the area from there. Go down to Louden (sp?) County and check out the beautiful lake. Go on over to the Smokies through Townsend and take a ride down Little River Road into Gatlinbury (but be prepared for the traffic on the Gatlinburg side this holiday weekend). I would say to go to Cades Cove, but there's been a fire over there, not sure how smoky smelling it is.

West Knoxville is my favorite part of Knoxville so far. We lived in Powell, and enjoyed the eclectic town of Powell.

Have fun! We love it here. Have never regretted our move.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Git2know View Post
Have you been to the Sevierville-Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg yet?
I think you will love it. We have a lot of tourist things here,but don't let that scare you away. Matter of fact you might like some of it. There are plenty of out of the way, in the country stuff things here to. Git2know.com well help fill you in on what to expect.

I love Maryville. My "allergy doctor" is there..he he
Barry
....Actually that was my trip today...First, we went to check out the Cedar Bluff area ( I saw a lot of companies there and an executive park area), drove around there for a bit...checked out some homes too..etc...I chose cedar bluff because that is the area where I had my job interview, so wanted to check out the companies located in that area for any future job possibilities...Then, we got on I-40 heading east and took 66 to Sevierville, toured the area a bit..BEAUTIFUL!! loved PIGEON FORGE AND GATLINBURG, these are small towns, however; but gorgeous!!! We stopped to check out the largest outlet mall called Tanger Five Oaks Outlet Center...Man , I'll tell ya, you have nothing to envy about big cities...You have it all here in Knoxville!! There is nothing that I can possibly miss from Miami other that the maybe the beaches...After the mall, we took 441 south to tour all other cities around the area to then take 321 south back to Maryville and Alcoa...We drove through the Smokey Mountains, viewed the beautiful homes located in the mountains, cabins, we were about to go horseback riding , but we continued driving and just enjoyed the great views and air quality you guys have...We have been filming and taking lot's of pictures..we even found our dream home on Lyon Spring Road...there was a one story brick house for sale and it was so beautiful!!!!..It was located in a very nice area, however I am not sure I could live there cause where the hell do you work there??? It was a nice future dream...... maybe ..... Tomorrow we are heading to Weaverville, North Carolina...we are just visiting a friend for a couple of hours, and then we are heading back to downtown Knoxville to check out the night life It has been an amazing experience! Everyone here is so nice, friendly and happy...I sooooo look forward moving here!!! Now I am just going to chill in the hotel I am staying at and go to bed early to wake up very early to continue my adventure here in East Tennessee......I LOVE IT...I LOVE IT...I LOVE IT...You really have to see it with your own eyes and that is when you realize that everything you imagined it to be it is absolutely true!!!!!! WOW

Old 05-25-2007, 07:34 PM

12 posts, read 48,146 times
I have an idea what you're experiencing having relocated from Miami.

Exiting Florida has its advantages. All that Florida sunshine and social interaction (some negative) may have given you some advantages. I can remember how impressed people were with me and my family. To some degree my ablitity speak good English rather than the self-proclaimed "lazy English" of most Knoxvillians, resulted in lots of interest. Also, when I unloaded my Miami experience (all the foreigners, crime, over-rated beach, etc.), it validated certain core conservative beliefs about city life.

Now, after several years, it's funny how SOME of the very things that irritated me are the very things I miss...go figure! I have posted two photos to illustrate a contrast. The first photo is one I took in Cades Cove. The second was a non-copyright photo post of Miami.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x231/BringontheSun_2007/CadesCove.jpg (broken link)

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...2007/Miami.jpg

Last edited by BringontheSun; 05-25-2007 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Correct photo url
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville