Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,585 times

Advertisements

So I've started a new zen hobby, landscaping and gardening. I try to go over to the gardening forum but find that they don't really know so much.

Anyhow, just curious if there are any aficionado on here that know a thing or two. I myself am just a padawan learner. I would sort of like to use plants that are more native to the area since they would clearly do the best in this climate.

Not liking the Lllantanas though.

What do you guys have around the pools?

I don't completely mind going out of region, as long as it will deal with both the drought and the cold winters. Anyone else like working on their yard? I have some ambitious plans. Went out to the Springs preserve for a class from the SNWA. It was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times
Plant World. Charleston and Jones. You won't regret the trip.

Lantana is actually very popular here because it is tough to kill. I have bouganvalia (sp?) around the pool, but my passion is more for edibles. If you like green that just won't quit, grow herbs. Rosemary and Lavender do well here and draw the hummingbirds.

If you want to grow food, check out the tomato lady Sweet Tomato Test Garden - For Desert Gardening. The Real Scoop on Growing Big Tomatoes In The Heat!

As far as actual xeriscaping, good luck with that. We grow weeds, criminals, and politicians here, not flowers.

Old 04-21-2013, 12:58 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

Lantana is actually very popular here because it is tough to kill. I have bouganvalia (sp?) around the pool, but my passion is more for edibles. If you like green that just won't quit, grow herbs. Rosemary and Lavender do well here and draw the hummingbirds.

If you want to grow food, check out the tomato lady Sweet Tomato Test Garden - For Desert Gardening. The Real Scoop on Growing Big Tomatoes In The Heat!

As far as actual xeriscaping, good luck with that. We grow weeds, criminals, and politicians here, not flowers.

I'll check plant world out.

I like that plant. Is it this it?

Bougainvillea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very pretty and thorny, I can put that on my back fence. It has natural defense properties which I like.

It does well here in the winters?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,260,775 times
Bougainvilla is so pretty but most of the time won't make it through winter. I too am tried of lantana, especially since I have to replace most of mine each spring. I really want to plant tangerine beauty crossvine in my backyard along the walls.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
I'm a novice gardener. I really don't know what I am doing half the times except for what I research or remember seeing from my mom and grandma when I was younger. It's just a time killing hobby for now. We also save money by not having to shop at the stores for tomatoes, onions, garlic, Oregano, potatoes, grapes...etc. this stuff grows so easily out here all year long.

The best part of growing stuff out here is when people say "don't waste your time, that (fruit/vegetable) wont grow out here."

My neighbor told me Strawberries and grapes were impossible to grow out here. The first year was a failure for both, this year is looking like a success.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-21-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I'll check plant world out.

I like that plant. Is it this it?

Bougainvillea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Very pretty and thorny, I can put that on my back fence. It has natural defense properties which I like.

It does well here in the winters?
It looks dead, but it always comes back.

I have a bright purple one and a red one. I saw a pretty pink one at Plant World the other day. I think it has my name on it.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I'm a novice gardener. I really don't know what I am doing half the times except for what I research or remember seeing from my mom and grandma when I was younger. It's just a time killing hobby for now. We also save money by not having to shop at the stores for tomatoes, onions, garlic, Oregano, potatoes, grapes...etc. this stuff grows so easily out here all year long.

The best part of growing stuff out here is when people say "don't waste your time, that (fruit/vegetable) wont grow out here."

My neighbor told me Strawberries and grapes were impossible to grow out here. The first year was a failure for both, this year is looking like a success.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
My grapevines are so huge that they are almost a nuisance. You want grapes, I've got them. I've had zero luck with strawberries as the birds get to them before I do.

Right now, I have grapes, raspberries, asparagus (past it's prime) tomatoes (five varieties) cucumbers, zucchini, basil, thyme, oregano, chives, and various other plants.

A word to the wise, DO NOT PLANT MINT IN YOUR GARDEN. It is extremely invasive here. I wish someone had told me that before I planted two varieties of mint in my raised bed a few years ago. It takes hours to pull it out every year. The gift that keeps on giving. Like herpes.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:56 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,154,517 times
^^^
Nice. I am hoping my grape vine and newly planted raspberry plant cover my entire backyard wall. Are your vines covering a wall? If so, did you have to manipulate them?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-21-2013, 04:51 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post

100% agreement about Plant World, FAMILY business in the Valley for at LEAST 40 years.

i went to star ONCE,,,,paid a lot of mony for aphids....took em back and the said hmmmph....those are aphids.....nothing else....

flowers are tough, even bouganvilla....some parts of town yo can , some yi cant they are VERY cold sensitive...

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
^^^
Nice. I am hoping my grape vine and newly planted raspberry plant cover my entire backyard wall. Are your vines covering a wall? If so, did you have to manipulate them?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
Mine are on a trellis. I'll post some pics eventually. I didn't have to do anything to get them to climb. They get nothing but abuse. Raspberries will spread like wildfire. Blackberries also do very well here. I had so many a couple of summers ago that I had to make preserves and share them with co-workers.

Blackberries produce on second year wood though, so no instant gratification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas