Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 05:59 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

the line is very thin between agreesive panhandling and strong arm robbery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,813,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
^^^^ He's updating his FB status...bragging about all of the suckers that funded his high for the night.
you forgot to say he was alson on twitter tweeting about who funded his high last night as well

Old 06-30-2013, 06:37 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
I've had some interesting conversations with local panhandlers.

One asked me for a buck at a gas station because they had two hotdogs for a dollar. I gave him five and told him to grab a beer as well. He came back out with his hotdogs and beer and pointed out the lot he was sleeping in next to his job at Jack In The Box. He had an interesting story. The kid had made some bad decisions for sure, but he was working , and waiting for his first paycheck so he could get a weekly rental. He didn't ask me for anything else, he just wanted to talk once he some food in him. If I was sleeping in an empty lot, I'd want a beer too, which is why I told him to get one.

Another one I met was mildly retarded, and the person he was staying with would beat him up if he didn't bring home enough cash each day. That one was very sad. This is all several years ago.

It has gotten out of hand now, when you can't go to the grocery store without someone wearing nicer shoes than you are, hitting you up.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 13,203 times
I can't stand them. Mentally disabled or not, asking for money on the side of a busy street is not something that I want to condone by giving out change.

They must be making pretty decent money from doing it as well. Let's say every time the light turns red they make $.25. So 4 red lights would be $1. Depending upon the light timing, let's say that a light turns red every 2 minutes. That's 30 red lights per hour. Based on my assumption of an average of $.25/red light, that's about $7.50 per hour, which is just a little shy of minimum wage.

Yes, I'm bored.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:13 AM

1,376 posts, read 3,083,667 times
I think you'd be way, way off at minimum wage.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:51 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
Back in the early nineties, Paula Woodward, an investigative reporter in Denver set up a camera crew watching one of these guys. They assumed every bill handed over was a pne even though it could've been a five or higher. The bum got over $200 before calling it a day!

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 07-01-2013 at 05:04 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 06:20 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,126,981 times
^^ which just goes to show you that people are kinder and more generous in spirit than most imagine. ( including you, so don't try to tell me otherwise)

I've known people who have become temporarily homeless. They were not panhandlers. I saw a guy yesterday who was out washing car windows for spare change. He looked like he was going to keel over from heat exhaustion. It's not a job, but at least he wasn't standing around in nice shoes holding a stupid , foldable sign.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
but at least he wasn't standing around in nice shoes holding a stupid , foldable sign.
That's fine with me, if people get fooled, they get fooled but at least he wasn't coming through someone's living room window at night.

I'd rather see a thousand panhandlers than people breaking in homes or robbing stores.

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I'd rather see a thousand panhandlers than people breaking in homes or robbing stores.
It's not like those are the only two options. Society acts like that's it, though. "I give them spare change so they don't become burglars."

Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,161,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
It's not like those are the only two options. Society acts like that's it, though. "I give them spare change so they don't become burglars."
But I don't give them spare change. I direct them all to the nearest food bank or shelter so if they turn that down then they are just lazy and the outcome will always be what is the easiest way to make a few bucks. Panhandle or commit a crime.

90% of these people have been in this position for long periodes of time and do not want long term help. In four years I have told one homeless lady about a foodbank close to her location. Her eyes lit up and she told me "God bless", must have been the best news she heard all week. The rest just tell me "thanks, I already know that", and keep it moving.

They just want the quick money. Do you know any other ways to make a quick buck or two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas