Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:25 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,187,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooven View Post
Are prices on new homes very negotiable? Or are builders firm on their prices there?

Thanks
Builders will move on their base price but pretty much only by moving the base price for everyone. Moving the base in a particular deal is a no win.

In a particular deal however builders will give on the spifs which can amout to the same as a direct cost reduction. For instance paying your HOA fees for two years...or your property taxes or buying down your mortgage rate.

They will prefer to offer soft spifs. Carpet upgrades/landscaping/deluxe cabinets...even, in the limit case, swimming pools.

All of these are heavily over-valued so you get 20 cents on the dollar in terms of resale value.

In a market like this one you will not buy new if you are financially driven. If however you must build your own dream house the way you want it...go for it. But expect to pay at least 15% for the priviledge.

Builders do provide deals on standing inventory. Banks provide much better deals on standing inventory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:47 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooven View Post
Are prices on new homes very negotiable? Or are builders firm on their prices there?

Thanks
VERY negotionable! They can't sell new houses in today's market. They will set a base price only to be dropped week after week!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
VERY negotionable! They can't sell new houses in today's market. They will set a base price only to be dropped week after week!
That is the base price. Not the particular instance price.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:12 PM

109 posts, read 532,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWestDude View Post
I just bought my brand new house on Nov/13/07 got a great deal. they paid closing cost and put down 3% as down payment, now they are building 8 more homes!! I think the lady at the model homes told me that they sold out on standing inventory thats why they are building more, and by the way they incresed the base value from 304's to 314's visit their web page.

If the O.P. wants to know how good Aliante is, why not drive up here? check it out by your self and see who is telling the truth.

My HOA's fees are $39 Master and 16 for sub division.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
Coolricks,
Is your neighborhood gated? I wonder if we pay more for having gates...which people break all the time anyway.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:00 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Coolricks,
Is your neighborhood gated? I wonder if we pay more for having gates...which people break all the time anyway.
Getting in...or getting out?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:41 AM

109 posts, read 532,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
Coolricks,
Nope our's is not gated, even so I haven't heard any complaints so far by being open. The sorrounding one's are gated and I always see people making lines waithing and going in just after a resident opens the gate.

I used to lived in a gated community and I tell you it was HELL just to keep it working, nobody cared.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolricks View Post
Nope our's is not gated, even so I haven't heard any complaints so far by being open. The sorrounding one's are gated and I always see people making lines waithing and going in just after a resident opens the gate.

I used to lived in a gated community and I tell you it was HELL just to keep it working, nobody cared.
Works well up market and in bad neighborhoods. Does not work well in the lower end of nice areas. The quality of the gate and mechanism makes quite a difference.

The big difference in HOA fees is not the gate only...it is who owns and maintains the roads. As soon as you gate the roads are owned by the development.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:35 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Works well up market and in bad neighborhoods. Does not work well in the lower end of nice areas. The quality of the gate and mechanism makes quite a difference.
Maybe they should just install those hydraulic tire spikes. Then each homeowner can use a card (or be scanned) to bring the spikes down to allow them to travel through and pop back up before the next car tries to enter. If the next car tries to piggyback, or someone tries to drive through without the proper credentials, it punctures their tires.

Old 01-17-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Maybe they should just install those hydraulic tire spikes. Then each homeowner can use a card (or be scanned) to bring the spikes down to allow them to travel through and pop back up before the next car tries to enter. If the next car tries to piggyback, or someone tries to drive through without the proper credentials, it punctures their tires.
Makes no difference. In fact you can keep the streets private without a gate. That lets you control entry. But it also means the streets are private property which the owners maintain. Any street with limits on public use has to be private and privately maintained.

Our four home cul-de-sac is private. And there is no right to pass through...only to enter to reach one of the homes on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas