U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:03 AM
 
2,031 posts, read 1,505,539 times
Reputation: 4408

Advertisements

This is a terrible tragedy. We have to do better to stop this insanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:27 AM
 
674 posts, read 481,153 times
Reputation: 1109
I'm booked for Mandalay Bay this week, and still intend on going.

I've sometimes wondered about this type of event. There is no security check at The Delano (Which is the northern tower at Mandalay). The elevators are very close to the entrance. I don't know how feasible it would be anyway if there were security, I can't see them going through people's suitcases. What stops other individuals from doing something similar to what this guy did, especially since this event publicizes how exposed the hole in security is? When I am in Vegas I can look down and there are usually 100's of people merrily walking along the strip and exposed. This week me and my family are going to be a part of those exposed people walking the street. I don't know what should be done, but it is worth considering, especially if a copycat decides to take advantage of the same hole in security as this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Reputation: 2575
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
This is a terrible tragedy. We have to do better to stop this insanity.
Sadly that is not possible and this wont be the last time it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,432 posts, read 24,199,022 times
Reputation: 24745
I have seen it reported in several news outlets that the shooter's brother and 90yo mom have been interviewed in Florida. They say he has no political or religious affiliations and he must have just 'snapped'. I am sure there is more to come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:40 AM
EA
 
Location: Las Vegas
5,472 posts, read 4,661,911 times
Reputation: 5911
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have seen it reported in several news outlets that the shooter's brother and 90yo mom have been interviewed in Florida. They say he has no political or religious affiliations and he must have just 'snapped'. I am sure there is more to come!


Sure sure. Family is always the most blind to our demons. This was a pretty planned out thing. It's not a snap and go do something type of thing. Something drove this dude to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:47 AM
 
9,290 posts, read 11,138,237 times
Reputation: 12464
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I have seen it reported in several news outlets that the shooter's brother and 90yo mom have been interviewed in Florida. They say he has no political or religious affiliations and he must have just 'snapped'. I am sure there is more to come!
Not too many mass murderers call their mom to check in before they go at it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:48 AM
 
5,721 posts, read 4,326,333 times
Reputation: 4299
Great just great let's see what bs the hotels/casinos come up now as another excuse to raise their prices and fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,370 posts, read 4,522,982 times
Reputation: 2575
Im curious if many of the victims were visiting for this festival or mainly locals. The tourist industry will take a hit if that is the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 08:56 AM
 
27,441 posts, read 44,934,740 times
Reputation: 14033
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I'm booked for Mandalay Bay this week, and still intend on going.

I've sometimes wondered about this type of event. There is no security check at The Delano (Which is the northern tower at Mandalay). The elevators are very close to the entrance. I don't know how feasible it would be anyway if there were security, I can't see them going through people's suitcases. What stops other individuals from doing something similar to what this guy did, especially since this event publicizes how exposed the hole in security is? When I am in Vegas I can look down and there are usually 100's of people merrily walking along the strip and exposed. This week me and my family are going to be a part of those exposed people walking the street. I don't know what should be done, but it is worth considering, especially if a copycat decides to take advantage of the same hole in security as this one.
Yes--and it is not like someone needed military training as sniper to achieve the same result
Plenty of examples of how to kill lot of people from a fairly protected vantage point
Especially if you don't mind not walking away alive

I am really surprised Vegas has not been a target for jihadists--not that this shooter was a jihadist--
Since it espouses so many aspects of a "hedonistic" culture that rabid Islam decries...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
 
1,525 posts, read 844,820 times
Reputation: 1158
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

I am really surprised Vegas has not been a target for jihadists--not that this shooter was a jihadist--
Since it espouses so many aspects of a "hedonistic" culture that rabid Islam decries...
Guess again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top