Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:42 PM

243 posts, read 238,326 times

Advertisements

Its a dry heat, much better than the humidity of Virginia or my native Florida. Use the air-conditioning and if you are fortunate, swim in the pool.

Keep your car in the garage. It is not that much hotter than the east, but the thing to be mindful of is the relentless sunshine from early in the morning until sunset. You'll miss the rain. We do have monsoon season in July, August and into September but it is hit and miss. Also, keep in mind that the humidity will be well below 10% except for monsoon season. You might want to tint your car windows and get a sunshade for your windshield when leaving the car parked outside for any length of time. You'll be in shorts and flip-flops until Thanksgiving. December and January are pretty much our winter and you will see some trees starting to bud in late January.

One think to keep in mind is that Las Vegas while hot is not like the summer heat in Iraq, Afghanistan Saudi Arabia, Kuwait. Stay away from Death Valley in summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 PM

243 posts, read 238,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
You are great, thanks! Could you recommend a drink bottle and sunshade? I drive a 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 if it helps. I cannot really find many sunshades for my specific car online, don't want to chance buying the wrong size.
Just to to Fletcher Jones or their Mercedes of Henderson location and they can order a sunshade. I have an 89 560SL with a sunshade but do not have tinted windows for that. The Audi came with a sunshade as did the Porsche.

If you drive to California in summer, DO take a case of water and put it in the trunk should there be car trouble. AAA is very quick and the worst parts of the 15 is between Baker and Barstow. There is cellular service the whole way. Keep the tank full as there can always be a long delay over the Cajon Pass, usually going down rather that up.

Old 05-07-2018, 06:51 AM

247 posts, read 254,419 times
and lastly hopefully you paid attention in school and don't have an outdoor job like I do lmao

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
It's not that bad, once you acclimatize. When you take the time to do that, you can do your outdoor activities, physical exercise, etc. at certain times of the day. Every now and then the NWS (National Weather Service) puts out heat warnings or advisories. Due to heat stroke or heat exhaustion, better to skip the bike ride that (those) day(s).

Excessive heat warning extended for Las Vegas Valley - last June 21st, 2017 - on the Summer Solstice.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:34 AM

799 posts, read 708,931 times
And don't forget the best method: the pool! Splashing around in the pool when it's 115 makes it feel like it's only 90. Best way to spend a hot afternoon for sure... Definitely looking forward to that soon...

Old 05-07-2018, 10:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,044,201 times
I try to go out early in the morning or late at night, after the sun sets. I bought some Arctic Cool shirts that really work too. https://arcticcool.com/

Old 05-07-2018, 10:35 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Arctic Cool shirts...
Thanks - going to try one. _____

Old 05-07-2018, 11:00 AM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Order custom-fit windshield shades at https://www.heatshieldstore.com/. I've had these for every car I've owned in the last 20 years.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:36 AM

2,026 posts, read 334,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
Order custom-fit windshield shades at https://www.heatshieldstore.com/. I've had these for every car I've owned in the last 20 years.
Those look really nice. How do they fold?

Old 05-07-2018, 12:10 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,864,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Those look really nice. How do they fold?
They roll up, and you hold them closed with a little velcro strap that is glued to the shade. Two problems though that can appear in the Las Vegas heat:

1) The adhesive that holds the strap on can get soft and lose adhesion and start to slide off the shade. The strap wraps around and attaches to itself, so there is no continuous tension on the strap though, so it's not a big problem.

2) The shade itself can get very hot, and can be uncomfortable to roll up right after removing it

It does fit perfectly though, since each one is custom cut for every vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: