Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 01:53 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,047,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
Thanks - going to try one. _____
You will be surprised. Worth every penny! But no FABRIC SOFTENER ever! I hang mine to dry outside and it takes about 10 minutes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 03:06 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
more random thoughts...

if you plan to explore the great outdoors anytime in the spring, summer or fall, you may want to consider a water backpack. it's much more efficient than stuffing multiple individual bottles into a standard backpack. (zion, bryce, grand canyon, yosemite, sequoia, joshua tree, great basin, valley of fire, mt charleston, lake mead, lake havasu, red rock rec. area. ...etc)

as one previous poster said, your vehicle needs to be attended to as well. check your tires, all the hoses, look for plastic components deteriorating, seals, coil packs/wires, etc. dry rot is common. tighten up when you can as swings between hot and cold sometimes can loosen connections. when my upper coolant plastic port busted off my radiator, it was toast. we upgraded to a moroso high performance radiator.

buy a harder tire. the heat chews up softer ones, imho.
buy as good a battery / alternator as you can. we can easily chew up a middle to higher tier of battery in 2-3 years. consider a jump box if you don't have AAA.

touch your car before fueling to discharge any static electricity. be safe while fueling.

Old 05-07-2018, 04:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,590,597 times
These are the custom ones I use. They are rigid and have a foam core they significantly reduce heat inside the car as well as protect the dashboard from cracking. Also because they are rigid they go into place in seconds using the sunvisors to hold them in place. They have ones for just about every kind of vehicle.
https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/pro...m-sunscreen.UV

Also consider Llumar Air Blue 80 for the window tint. All of the properties of the dark colored window tint but you can see out of them both day and night.

Also for out by the pool this Arctic Cove mister that goes on top of a 5 gal bucket works great. The secret is to dump a bag of ice in the bucket along with the water to get ice cold mist.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arctic-C...0181/205744083

Old 05-07-2018, 10:26 PM

553 posts, read 1,209,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
You are great, thanks! Could you recommend a drink bottle and sunshade? I drive a 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 if it helps. I cannot really find many sunshades for my specific car online, don't want to chance buying the wrong size.
My first summer in LV, I learned an expensive lesson about my 2006 MB and the heat. Your car has a computer that basically runs all of the features on the car. The computer is not happy in high heat. I had parked my car in a small garage, but the garage would get to be over 120 degrees on some of our really hot days. My on board computer fried, and it cost about $2k to replace it. So beware of the heat on your car.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:58 AM

2,026 posts, read 334,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco6163 View Post
My first summer in LV, I learned an expensive lesson about my 2006 MB and the heat. Your car has a computer that basically runs all of the features on the car. The computer is not happy in high heat. I had parked my car in a small garage, but the garage would get to be over 120 degrees on some of our really hot days. My on board computer fried, and it cost about $2k to replace it. So beware of the heat on your car.
That’s scary! Hopefully that won’t happen this summer. Thanks for the forewarning!

Old 05-08-2018, 03:45 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
You are great, thanks! Could you recommend a drink bottle and sunshade? I drive a 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 if it helps. I cannot really find many sunshades for my specific car online, don't want to chance buying the wrong size.
I picked up two Klean Kanteens at REI. One wide mouth silver and another blue coated narrow mouth. 20-ish ounces.

Maybe it's our preferences after the hot incident but we like narrow for cold and wide for hot drinks.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
https://www.weathertech.com/techshade/

Old 05-08-2018, 07:24 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Regardless if you are renting or buying, take a good compass with you and avoid anything with significant glass on either the west or east. Glass on the south is OK so long as it has an architectural feature to provide shade to the glass in the summertime when the sun is high in the sky, but allows sun in the winter win the sun is low in the sky.

Do you have a job lined up? If so, tell us the rough location and we may be able to give you some pointers. Try to minimize your commute. Population keeps going up but capacity of the roads doesn't keep up, so rush hour can be somewhere from annoying to much worse than annoying.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:05 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Regardless if you are renting or buying, take a good compass with you and avoid anything with significant glass on either the west or east. Glass on the south is OK so long as it has an architectural feature to provide shade to the glass in the summertime when the sun is high in the sky, but allows sun in the winter win the sun is low in the sky.

Do you have a job lined up? If so, tell us the rough location and we may be able to give you some pointers. Try to minimize your commute. Population keeps going up but capacity of the roads doesn't keep up, so rush hour can be somewhere from annoying to much worse than annoying.
If you are referring to a house facing west, mine faces directly west and my bills are super reasonable, and I would never add solar

Old 05-08-2018, 09:22 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,492,383 times
For those looking for homes in Spring Valley or Enterprise, Red Rock Canyon and the mountains in the area will be considered WEST, all afternoon the Sun will be on that side of the valley, obviously East will be on the opposite direction so morning sun will be on that side of the valley.

Easiest to remember using the Strip as median, West is Red Rock Resort/Red Rock Canyon, North would be Stratosphere/Dowtown, South would be the Southpoint/M Resort and East would be, lets say Sams Town/Sam Boyd Stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: