Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 01:23 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,491 times

Advertisements

Moving from VA to NV in about 2 months. It's very humid here in VA, and I know NV is all about the dry heat. How do you stay cool on the hottest of days? This can range from anything from what attire to what time of day you go out and do errands. I am planning on buying seat covers for my car because my leather seats heat up terribly in the summer. Also, are triple digits usual this time of year? I see it will be around 100 Tues. and Wed. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2018, 01:46 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
I keep a space large enough in my garage for my car to fit in. I don't drive a black car. I do do a lot of my stuff in the morning if possible. I always keep ample water and a hat in my car. Choosing a destination with covered parking is a bonus. Inventory your car for items that will die from 150F plus (or minus) heat.

The average high hits triple digits in July. Hitting 100F plus before that is nothing unusual. It averages out. Temperature forecasting is one of the hardest things to get exactly right. It's one of the few jobs where you don't get fired for being wrong most of the time.

Climate Las Vegas - Nevada

Old 05-06-2018, 02:30 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusive Enchantment View Post
Moving from VA to NV in about 2 months. It's very humid here in VA, and I know NV is all about the dry heat. How do you stay cool on the hottest of days? This can range from anything from what attire to what time of day you go out and do errands. I am planning on buying seat covers for my car because my leather seats heat up terribly in the summer. Also, are triple digits usual this time of year? I see it will be around 100 Tues. and Wed. Thanks
Make sure you have a job lined up or at least one year of living expenses before you move. ($15k at least)

Old 05-06-2018, 03:23 PM

699 posts, read 2,220,111 times
Random thoughts:

"Hot" is a relative thing. Hot can range from 90-104 which is tolerable to 105+ which is when it's really blazing. I've seen 117 twice. It's not pretty. Brian Scofield, (channel 13 weather) actually opened that night's weather with "welcome to hair dryer weather!" And he's right. It feels like that when standing outside.

A double walled silver insulated drink bottle is too hot to pick up when left in a vehicle in covered parking in the worst of the heat. It was in there for about 2 hours. Buy a coated one instead. Plastic ones suck. In the heat, never travel anywhere without it and hydrate often. It's so dry, your perspiration evaporates so by the time your realize you're thirsty, you're verging into dehydration. In VA, you sweat more, which is your natural cue to drink. If you are in good health, one should aim to drink 1/2 of your weight in ounces a day to combat the dryness. Preferably water.

Never leave home without your lip balm. Wind will rip your lips off your face quickly. Don't leave your lip balm in the car.
Find a good face moisturizer with SPF. I use Aveeno. Same for body lotion. I use Ceravie.

Buy a quality sunshade for your windshield. Cheap ones are like cheap beach umbrellas. You get more shade with better quality.

If you live on the west side of town, towards Summerlin, your dwelling will come into the shade of the mountains first of all the valley. Invest in good window coverings for your western faced windows. Consider a mister for your patio.

Do your laundry or run your pool pump in the off-peak hours. Power costs are 3 to 1 for on-peak to off-peak use.

Sometimes I bring a cooler with some frozen blue gel packs to the grocery store and throw my cold stuff into it just to be safe. My ride can be up to 10-15 minutes home and my a/c is a little slow to cool a 100+ interior.

If you have a dog, please be aware that the concrete and roads are too hot for their feet. Some shoe. Some go to a park. Other dog owners can give you more info if you need it.

/random thoughts

Old 05-06-2018, 03:48 PM

2,026 posts, read 334,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
Random thoughts:

A double walled silver insulated drink bottle is too hot to pick up when left in a vehicle in covered parking in the worst of the heat. It was in there for about 2 hours. Buy a coated one instead. Plastic ones suck.

Buy a quality sunshade for your windshield. Cheap ones are like cheap beach umbrellas. You get more shade with better quality.
You are great, thanks! Could you recommend a drink bottle and sunshade? I drive a 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 if it helps. I cannot really find many sunshades for my specific car online, don't want to chance buying the wrong size.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:10 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,004,431 times
Quote:
You are great, thanks! Could you recommend a drink bottle and sunshade? I drive a 2006 Mercedes Benz ML350 if it helps. I cannot really find many sunshades for my specific car online, don't want to chance buying the wrong size.
At least your license plate won’t cost too much. About 150 a year. You may get robbed when you try to get the mb fixed

Old 05-06-2018, 05:46 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,150,490 times
Quote:
...recommend a drink bottle
Ozark Trail 20-ounce Double-Wall vacuum-sealed Tumbler - Walmart (as low as $7-8), or Amazon ($13 and change). Better than Yeti ($29 plus) and a fraction of the cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe2ofus View Post
If you live on the west side of town, towards Summerlin, your dwelling will come into the shade of the mountains first of all the valley. Invest in good window coverings for your western faced windows. Consider a mister for your patio.
This is a good point. We live in the southeast, and our master bedroom is located in the southwest corner, and since the sun rises in the east and sets in the west... This was before we got solar screens, and when we built a patio in the back this covered the late day sun and kept the room much cooler with the property wall and patio covering all of the sun hitting the room. Solar screens help out a lot in maintaining the cool AC air during summer months.

Also remember that the Las Vegas high temperature for the day, or Henderson high temp, are for the McCarran International Airport and Henderson Executive Airport respectively. Temps routinely get higher (or lower) than these official temps - especially at intersections, and other concrete jungle locales.

Old 05-06-2018, 05:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,570,019 times
Quote:
Just stay out of the sun. That's the major difference between humid and dry heat. You can't escape a really hot humid day. Here you just get out of the sun and it's usually tolerable. Unless its pushing 115. Then it's just flat out miserable. Mornings and evenings are where its at.

Old 05-06-2018, 07:43 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,809,749 times
Does anyone have an air bed cooler, like bedjet?

Old 05-06-2018, 08:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Covering windows.

We live in Summerlin close to the 215. Our windows are covered with sunscreens. Our worst is the morning sun. The mountains behind us (west) block the sun early in the summer so it's not so bad. We have a view of the strip, but that also means we get the full power of the sun in the morning.

Our master bedroom bay gets so hot in the mornings that I finally bought a couple of sheets of 1" Styrofoam and cut them to fit the windows. BIG difference! We also added the 90% (95%?) sunscreens there. In addition we added the plastic film that keeps the windows from being broken easily on all our windows, and had them put the darkest available there.

The rest of the east side has a covered patio so it's not as bad. We are considering something to hang between the pillars out there to block the morning sun so we can sit out earlier in the day.

Make sure your AC is in tip top shape; house and car. Drink more water that you ever did in VA. I'm still having to remind myself to drink water. Be cautious when grabbing the steering wheel. It will be surprising hot. You will see cloth wrapped around door handles at stores here. Your car door handles will get just as hot. Carrying a small towel is a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: