Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:14 AM

638 posts, read 594,687 times

Advertisements

As a foreigner here I'm interested in a few things you wrote, so forgive me for quoting you and picking at lots of things, I'm genuinely curious about them, and in part they are aimed at the general USA, not you in particular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessikahchloe View Post

5. He is a hibachi chef, and the tips are a joke. We recently got transferred to a restaurant at the Lakes and his tips dropped by 75% as opposed to the east or “ghetto” side of town. People stroll up in Ferrari’s and stiff him. What a Joke. How come the majority of Las Vegans (that appear wealthy) don’t tip?
Does the hibachi chef get a share of the regular service tip that people leave? If not, and you tip the hibachi guy would you reduce the tip on the service line since the hibachi guy has done the work? -If no, doesn't tipping at a hibachi then become like 30% which is getting a bit ridiculous?

Quote:

Tipping someone for a service isn’t giving a way money- it’s paying for a service.
I'm curious why you think the customer is the one that should be "paying for service". I dont write him a pay check, employ him, check his INS status or set up his 401k. His EMPLOYER does that, a tip is just supposed to be a little extra for a job well done and it is quite literally by its definition giving money away. Sure, in the USA servers etc have come to rely massively on their tips, but coming from someone that is a 20% tipper when in the USA, I find it quite an interesting phenomenon where it is directly the customers that have to foot this guys living, particularly since you say "on top of a great salary". And, as contentious as it may be I dont particularly think it is my (and by 'my' I mean collectively the customers) job to be elevating every server, waiter, cocktail waitress and hibachi chefs salary to the $100k++ per year level.

Its the same interesting thing where if I order a $100 bottle of wine in a restaurant vs a $20 bottle, well, on one I'm supposed to be tipping $20 and the other one I'm tipping $4, what the hell extra has the server done for that difference in money. Sorry, it doesnt really make sense.

Quote:
I was raised in Texas oil field wealth and just didn’t experience the same type of mentality about tipping and greed. But also Vegas /LA wealth is much more showy and in your face so it seems more insulting for the Ferrari’ guy to stiff you. Lots of rich Texans could afford luxury cars and homes but they would rather drive a ford pickup and live modestly and you can’t always tell the rich from the middle class. People here are like screaming at the rooftops ... looooook at meeee... I have tons of money. Gucci blah blah lol 😂
I generally find the ones screaming about how much money have, generally have the least and are financed up to their eyeballs.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:32 AM

628 posts, read 398,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
In Vegas, 18 is a very good wage...may be the average for management positions in retail (aside from Walmart and such)
I am stunned to hear that 18 an hour is a good wage here. It's hard for me to envision anyone affording an apartment in a good area on that salary. I make east coast wages here and would be quite depressed if I was at 18 an hour and I don't consider myself as high income by any means. I made 18 back in 2007 and I expect employers to match my expectations at this stage of my life and career. When I did make 18, my rent was only 350.00 per month so it was proportionate to the cost of living.

Although tips could very well be the great equalizer. (I don't earn tips).

Old 11-12-2018, 09:37 AM

241 posts, read 143,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
I am stunned to hear that 18 an hour is a good wage here. It's hard for me to envision anyone affording an apartment in a good area on that salary. I make east coast wages here and would be quite depressed if I was at 18 an hour and I don't consider myself as high income by any means. I made 18 back in 2007 and I expect employers to match my expectations at this stage of my life and career. When I did make 18, my rent was only 350.00 per month so it was proportionate to the cost of living.

Although tips could very well be the great equalizer. (I don't earn tips).
Dude people live off 18/hour in Southern California! You can get a 1bdr apartment on the west side of Henderson making that and not break the bank.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuterion View Post
Dude people live off 18/hour in Southern California! You can get a 1bdr apartment on the west side of Henderson making that and not break the bank.
Fascinating. I guess I'm just the quintessential mid west tightwad. I was actually going to sell plasma to make more money but was disqualified due to my blood pressure medicine.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:12 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Median household income in LV is around 60K. Average salary around 47K. So more like $22 an hour.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Median household income in LV is around 60K. Average salary around 47K. So more like $22 an hour.
That does sound a bit more realistic. I had thought 60k was the average salary per person.

Is it true that Obama care caps your income at 64K in order to qualify for any assistance with the cost of health insurance? I may exceed this if I can sustain both jobs that I now have.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:40 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
The scammers are the police and Muni workers getting frequent overtime. I'll bet the median is closer to the 18 mark... The free school lunch numbers say a lot, too. As well as a large number of people on subsidized housing....Obama had a lot of luck with a shrinking workforce to boost the numbers. Many, are not even considered part of the workforce, but would take a decent job, if available.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
The scammers are the police and Muni workers getting frequent overtime. I'll bet the median is closer to the 18 mark... The free school lunch numbers say a lot, too. As well as a large number of people on subsidized housing....Obama had a lot of luck with a shrinking workforce to boost the numbers. Many, are not even considered part of the workforce, but would take a decent job, if available.
Poverty numbers are relatively low in Las Vegas in comparison to other similar sized cities. It is a pretty robust economy.

I am still curious where this view on subsidized housing comes from. It is actually rare here. The Section 8 waiting list has not been open in a decade.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Poverty numbers are relatively low in Las Vegas in comparison to other similar sized cities. It is a pretty robust economy.

I am still curious where this view on subsidized housing comes from. It is actually rare here. The Section 8 waiting list has not been open in a decade.
Doesn't Las Vegas have housing "projects" as well? I thought there was one down on Owens somewhere.

Someone told me that a hospitality manager on the strip only makes about 18 an hour.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
Doesn't Las Vegas have housing "projects" as well? I thought there was one down on Owens somewhere.

Someone told me that a hospitality manager on the strip only makes about 18 an hour.
Yes but relatively few and have closed a number over the years.

The income of Hospitality Managers is multi-faceted. I would not begin to determine what they make but I suspect it runs over a 10 to 1 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas