Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:11 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,545,765 times

Advertisements

quixotic59,

I seriously hope this has given you pause about any inkling you may have had regarding moving to Las Vegas or the State of Nevada, for that matter.

This is how the majority of Nevada residents think and this is why the schools are in the sorry state they are and why the economy of Nevada is so dependent on California tossing them scraps like a Tesla battery plant or an Amazon fulfillment center.

These people hate education, they hate educators, they resist any sort of social investment in their community and try to stick tourists with all of it through ridiculous taxes and "fees". What's worse, these people had to be convinced that UNLV should start a medical school. Re-read that: Yes! They had to be convinced. Because, you know, it's completely "normal" for a city of 2.5 million people to have football and hockey stadiums, but not a functioning medical school.

And, the cherry on top of this Sh** sundae is that they don't even want to pay for their own football stadium, so they stuck that to the tourists as well. They sit and whine and b**** about "Californians" in perpetuity when they rely so heavily on California money flowing over the border for their very existence. It's really pathetic, but to be expected I guess?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
Nice try, hater. Very good syntax from such a valued member of society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander666 View Post
But, he added value to society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
And yet there will be 10 more whiny posts just like all the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2019, 01:26 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times
You're confusing hatred for education with hatred for BAD education.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:36 AM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
You're confusing hatred for education with hatred for BAD education.
You keep going to the well with that one. Perpetual straw man.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:40 AM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
I'm not sure you know what a straw man is.

America ranks 36th in education while spending more per student than every country but Switzerland.
649 billion spent.
50.7 million students.
12,800 per student. 36th in the world.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:51 AM

779 posts, read 471,977 times
Quote:
I'm not sure you know what a straw man is.

America ranks 36th in education while spending more per student than every country but Switzerland.
649 billion spent.
50.7 million students.
12,800 per student. 36th in the world.
I knew you'd be up

The US system, while very flawed, is also under many legal mandates that many other countries ahead of us are not under. Additionally, many other countries are very homogenous and/or smaller than the USA.

And your 36th in education isn't a fact in stone.

But anyway, I know you'll be up to respond. You always are.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:55 AM
EA

Quote:
I knew you'd be up

The US system, while very flawed, is also under many legal mandates that many other countries ahead of us are not under. Additionally, many other countries are very homogenous and/or smaller than the USA.

And your 36th in education isn't a fact in stone.

But anyway, I know you'll be up to respond. You always are.
Beauty of self employment. Free time.

The reasons why the US system is bad don't interest me. I want to bulldoze them and start doing things right so we actually educate our kids properly.
That's what i care about. A future full of intelligent people instead of useful idiots.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:24 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Please explain what you think a 'straw man' is. I can guarantee in advance you are wrong.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:26 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
they don't even want to pay for their own football stadium
So, ... you wanted the government to pay for it?

Old 05-18-2019, 12:43 PM
EA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
This is how the majority of Nevada residents think and this is why the schools are in the sorry state they are and why the economy of Nevada is so dependent on California tossing them scraps like a Tesla battery plant or an Amazon fulfillment center.

Tesla and Amazon chose us because we don't rape people with taxes like commiefornia does.

Quote:
These people hate education, they hate educators,

No, we hate idiots. And our education system churns out idiots because it's not good. It's not an attack on teachers. It's an attack on the curriculum, which is demonstrably terrible.
We don't hate teachers, we hate waste spending, which is what ccsd does best.

Quote:
they resist any sort of social investment in their community and try to stick tourists with all of it through ridiculous taxes and "fees".
So I should want to be extorted? I should want to pay for things I don't want or agree with?

Quote:
And, the cherry on top of this Sh** sundae is that they don't even want to pay for their own football stadium, so they stuck that to the tourists as well. They sit and whine and b**** about "Californians" in perpetuity when they rely so heavily on California money flowing over the border for their very existence. It's really pathetic, but to be expected I guess?

Why the hell would I want to pay for a football stadium? I hate sports. I think it's a massive waste of money and resources.
But it is kind of funny that it's for a California team who wanted to leave because California wouldn't build them a stadium.

Lots of places are designed to suck up tourist money. There's nothing wrong with it. Do you think California would be so well off if not for tourists? You think all those people on the beach and boardwalks are from California? They're not. They're people from all over the world bringing money to California.
California gets 250 MILLION tourists a year.
You're up there on your high horse and I'm still looking down on you.

Old 05-18-2019, 02:45 PM

927 posts, read 883,306 times
Quote:
No, we hate idiots. And our education system churns out idiots because it's not good. It's not an attack on teachers. It's an attack on the curriculum, which is demonstrably terrible.
We don't hate teachers, we hate waste spending, which is what ccsd does best.
The curriculum is only one part to the problem, and something we can't fix without changing policy.

The district no longer allows administration to enforce any discipline in schools, largely due to the threat of a racial discrimination lawsuit as those who were being suspended were disproportionately Black and Hispanic. So now students are openly defiant knowing that nothing will happen to them.

The district decided about 5 years ago that they wanted to focus on improving graduation rates instead of test scores, which meant getting rid of any obstacles in a student's path to graduation. Passing an End of Course exam is no longer required to graduate. Doing classwork/homework or passing tests is no longer necessary with the Minimum F policies that many schools implement.

We could swap out my math class with a class on auto repair and maintenance, and you'd have the exact same issues.

You first fix education by sending disruptive students home and telling them to take classes on the online learning academy. It has to be OK to inconvenience parents if their children won't follow rules and procedures.

You then stop the practice of social promotion and retain students who aren't at grade level as assessed by standardized assessments, not by arbitrary letter grades. It has to be OK to hurt a student's feelings by holding them back.

Instead of focusing on increasing graduation rates, we need to shift our focus to the increased percent of college-ready graduates. Only 1 in 5 currently are considered college ready, yet we graduate nearly 90% of them.

Only then can we start talking about curriculum, which I agree, needs to be changed, since we are getting zero parent buy-in to what we're teaching students today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas