Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisconsinVegasHeights View Post
Great info. I see that siegel suites, rubix, and eagle trace apts. have horrible reviews. (Around Nellis and Craig).

From what I have read, you could not pay me enough to ever stay at siegel or budget suites.
Eagle Trace has gotten some reasonable reviews on here though again the neighborhood is awful.

We have had clients and friends stay at the Budget Suites on Trop and Rancho without trouble. One older French Lady did a month on the one on Rancho and actually liked the place.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:23 AM

628 posts, read 397,569 times
I appreciate that perspective. The weeklies engage in bait and switch in my opinion and the monthly cost is really not a good value especially when I can rent a clean room in a house for 400 - 500 dollars.

Seeing condos in that triangle area to the north. I'm sure there are apartments, I just need to dig a little.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Fresh topic

Are there ever any "meet ups" for new members on city data. I hope I am using the correct phraseology.

I believe the posters here used an acronym but I can't recall what it is.

Can a 47 year old still have a lot of fun in this town?

Def Leppard said that it is better to burn out than fade away. What does everyone think?

Old 07-09-2018, 06:06 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Quote:
I appreciate that perspective. The weeklies engage in bait and switch in my opinion and the monthly cost is really not a good value especially when I can rent a clean room in a house for 400 - 500 dollars.

Seeing condos in that triangle area to the north. I'm sure there are apartments, I just need to dig a little.
If you're moving here without a job, you may have no choice but to rent a room in a house, as so many of these apartment companies want 2-3X income to rent an apartment.

I was going to rent an apartment when I moved to Tucson and given my social security income of 1201, 1077 minus the Medicare adjustment, I was being rejected repeatedly because I didn't have the income. One place even wanted 6 months rent in advance to rent there. I sent over my financial statements but little good did that do. One agent told me: Well how do we know you're not going to spend that after you move in?

Sheesh! To put all that weight on someone employed, when someone could lose their job tomorrow!

Old 07-09-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you're moving here without a job, you may have no choice but to rent a room in a house, as so many of these apartment companies want 2-3X income to rent an apartment.

I was going to rent an apartment when I moved to Tucson and given my social security income of 1201, 1077 minus the Medicare adjustment, I was being rejected repeatedly because I didn't have the income. One place even wanted 6 months rent in advance to rent there. I sent over my financial statements but little good did that do. One agent told me: Well how do we know you're not going to spend that after you move in?

Sheesh! To put all that weight on someone employed, when someone could lose their job tomorrow!
Fascinating reply. I actually moved to Las Vegas without a job and I too receive Social Security. You should apply for help from Arizona to see if they will pick up that medicare deduction. The State of Nevada is paying for my Medicare deduction which helps a lot. Wisconsin did not offer that, although I did also have Medicaid in Wisconsin but I do not qualify for Nevada Medicaid.

I did rent a room and also will be using my "ticket to work" to attempt a return to the labor pool. I managed to find a position at Nellis as a contractor. Good pay, but not a lot of job security. Nothing to lose since I can keep the social security for up to 12 months while working.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:31 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Are there ever any "meet ups" for new members on city data. I hope I am using the correct phraseology.

I believe the posters here used an acronym but I can't recall what it is.

Can a 47 year old still have a lot of fun in this town?

Def Leppard said that it is better to burn out than fade away. What does everyone think?
Had one earlier this year. Not so much for new members only, though. Some old timers and other like us who have been here just shy of four years.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM

Aquaman and LVdrunk had some meet ups, but I believe that was years ago and their circumstances have changed.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Logistics question (commuting concern)

So I am starting a new position as a civilian at Nellis AFB on Monday. My Las Vegas experience is limited to a short stay of about a month in 2008 when I had the privilege of driving around this city and my current stay which began on May 19th. I really did not mind driving around Las Vegas after having been dipped in the fire of east coast driving.

I am in the MLK/Lake Mead/Carey/Revere area and it will be two buses and 50 minutes to the gate.
Does anyone know about the walk from the gate to 4700 North Las Vegas Boulevard which is the medical center? I'm worried about a potential 30 minute walk each way according to google maps.

Also anyone familiar with Uber's policies as far as going into Nellis and/or picking me up inside the base?

Appreciate any insight or suggestions. Thanks.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
Quote:
So I am starting a new position as a civilian at Nellis AFB on Monday. My Las Vegas experience is limited to a short stay of about a month in 2008 when I had the privilege of driving around this city and my current stay which began on May 19th. I really did not mind driving around Las Vegas after having been dipped in the fire of east coast driving.

I am in the MLK/Lake Mead/Carey/Revere area and it will be two buses and 50 minutes to the gate.
Does anyone know about the walk from the gate to 4700 North Las Vegas Boulevard which is the medical center? I'm worried about a potential 30 minute walk each way according to google maps.

Also anyone familiar with Uber's policies as far as going into Nellis and/or picking me up inside the base?

Appreciate any insight or suggestions. Thanks.
Uber picks up at the gate. They don’t go inside. I hope it’s a very well paying job 40k + otherwise it’s definitely not worth it. You need a car here

Old 07-10-2018, 08:55 AM

The job pays in the high fifties. My DL is suspended and so I will not be driving anytime soon.

"You need a car here" does not help. I'm looking for constructive feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas