Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 05:50 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,983,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Are you in a village or area with parking restrictions?

Maybe you can go about it another way?
In a village, no real parking restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,192,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
In a village, no real parking restrictions.
Check on village parking ordinances....call publc safety etc.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:19 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,192,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Hey Crooks - where have you been?? Hope all's ok with you...

Im good Elke

Thanks for asking.Good to see you guys.

Crooks

Old 10-08-2010, 06:20 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,044,539 times
Are they driving both vehicles with one plate or just trying to avoid a summons for an unregistered vehicle in the street/on the property?

Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 AM

22,687 posts, read 36,870,810 times
Yes, I would call the police. But if you have village police I would start there, they will be much more responsive. If you can get the VINs, so much the better.

There's no point in letting their insurer know, even if you could find out who insures them. First of all, no agent is going to do that for you - it costs money to run a DMV check even for an insurance agent. Second, I'm quite sure the DMV is aware that one of these cars is not registered, but other than sending letters and suspending licenses, there's little they can do.

Best bet is alerting the police.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:24 AM

188 posts, read 416,880 times
I would call from a general telephone line so it cannot be traced back to you. This person is doing something illegal and could potentially harm someone. Do the right thing.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,983,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Check on village parking ordinances....call publc safety etc.
Nothing AFAIK -- we have NCPD in our area, no village police/public safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Are they driving both vehicles with one plate or just trying to avoid a summons for an unregistered vehicle in the street/on the property?
Both vehicles are driven daily. They park one all the way in the back of the driveway, to avoid suspicion, I guess? I snapped a quick picture of both cars having the same license plate #, for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, I would call the police. But if you have village police I would start there, they will be much more responsive. If you can get the VINs, so much the better.

There's no point in letting their insurer know, even if you could find out who insures them. First of all, no agent is going to do that for you - it costs money to run a DMV check even for an insurance agent. Second, I'm quite sure the DMV is aware that one of these cars is not registered, but other than sending letters and suspending licenses, there's little they can do.

Best bet is alerting the police.
I sent an e-mail to the NYS Insurance Board and got a reply this morning that they are forwarding my message to the fraud bureau. This will be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
I would call from a general telephone line so it cannot be traced back to you. This person is doing something illegal and could potentially harm someone. Do the right thing.
Yes, this is my issue... the complaint coming back to me, whether it's NCPD or whoever. I do not need these people screwing with me or my things.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:34 AM

316 posts, read 990,596 times
You are doing the right thing: 2 years ago an f-tard drunk driver destroyed the fence on my property. Fled the scene, leaving his totaled car behind. The plates belonged to a different car, no insurance either. Finally got reimbursed as result of the town suing him for guardrail replacement, and including my claim in the suit.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:56 AM

886 posts, read 2,650,252 times
Though I understand everyone's frustration here but truly is it your business that this guy is breaking the law? If he is your neighbor and has little regard for DMV law what else illegal does he do?There is an old saying: "Snitches get stitches or end up in ditches." Just be careful.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 AM

764 posts, read 1,555,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Though I understand everyone's frustration here but truly is it your business that this guy is breaking the law? If he is your neighbor and has little regard for DMV law what else illegal does he do?There is an old saying: "Snitches get stitches or end up in ditches." Just be careful.
What if one of the cars hits the topic creator? Then he is screwed. I say report them via a public telephone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island