Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 07:08 PM

20,158 posts, read 20,945,478 times

Advertisements

Pop an Alka Seltzer in your mouth, wait til it gets nice and foamy, and then sit on the front lawn on a really beat up lawn chair and just stare into space. Make sure you are holding a copy of NYS vehicle and traffic law pamphlet in plain sight either in your lap or in your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 05:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,983,108 times
No word yet from the NYS fraud dept, and they are doing it with a third car now.

Jeez, I must be the idiot for paying for 2 vehicles. I should just swap plates.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,826,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Again, what idiot would do that? Why would you pay what, five times as much for the same damned insurance? Theres a reason you see alot of Florida plates here; it makes sense if you can do it!
The idiot respecting the law would do it, I guess. One who teaches their kids that they aren't special, and that you should do the right thing, even when no one is looking...

Old 10-12-2010, 02:56 PM

15 posts, read 40,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal workshop View Post
It is unlikely that their scheme will be discovered during a normal traffic stop. Police officers do not typically verify that the VIN number of the stopped vehicle matches the registration.
I'm told they do on Civics and Integras, these cars are very high on the most stolen list. Also the VIN stamp on the engine gets checked to make sure it isn't a stolen engine installed in the car. Buddies of mine that have owned these cars have confirmed this.

Hopefully things work out as anticipated for the OP, my previous car was hit by an uninsured vehicle that had plates on it, was NOT a fun experience.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 AM

305 posts, read 1,005,704 times
I honestly wouldnt say anything, but since you have already reported the issue, why not leave it be.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but seriously, if these people were your friends would you be compel to rat them out then, and even more, would you be so obiligated to make sure something was done, I doubt it.

Now before you say it, maybe you wouldnt befriend anyone like that, then just leave then alone. People will do enough to get them in trouble by themselves, and I am sure you like all of us have done some wrong.

If they have FL plates then they only have 1 plate, and if they live in FL and NY then they can have insurance that covers both areas, and I would hate to turn in someone I didnt like not knowing what they are facing financially.

What I mean is how many people live in the home? maybe they have several people working just for them to survive in this day in age, you never know what goes on behind close doors, these can be struggling people trying to make it and doing what they have to do.

There is another saying, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, if they stood by judging all the wrong that you did waiting to see you fall into the ditch how would you feel?

I once lived next door to a family that was in the situation financially, they left kids in the home for hours at a time, and the kids would come to my home hungry and dirty. My first thought was I am going to report this asap, and then I thought about it.

What good would it do to the children to have them snatch out of the home they know to be home, it is not the best home, and the parent is wrong, but it is the kids home and they love there parents the same.

So I went to the parents and told them I am not trying to be noisy but I see these things take place and you might want to address them so that you dont get in trouble.

Well they was doing the best they could with what they had, so I took the kids to my home and watch them for free, I did there laundry, helped them with there homework, and they even called me mom and my husband dad at times because that what we became to them second parents.

When the family got on there feet they was able to correct the wrong and make it right , why because someone was decent enough to care to help out and make things right.

Maybe you cant insure there cars, I sure wouldnt, but maybe as a neighbor you can help?

Whatever happen to the days when we did that her on LI? I guess this is second nature to me because I grew up here and my parents helped everyone on the block.

We had a family that lost there house they lived with us, we had neighborhoods who couldnt pay the lights we paid it for them if we could and truth be told we ran an extension cord if we couldnt. What I am saying is they are neighbors, havnt we all heard these words before " Love thy neighbor"

Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I honestly wouldnt say anything, but since you have already reported the issue, why not leave it be.

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but seriously, if these people were your friends would you be compel to rat them out then, and even more, would you be so obiligated to make sure something was done, I doubt it.

Now before you say it, maybe you wouldnt befriend anyone like that, then just leave then alone. People will do enough to get them in trouble by themselves, and I am sure you like all of us have done some wrong.

If they have FL plates then they only have 1 plate, and if they live in FL and NY then they can have insurance that covers both areas, and I would hate to turn in someone I didnt like not knowing what they are facing financially.

What I mean is how many people live in the home? maybe they have several people working just for them to survive in this day in age, you never know what goes on behind close doors, these can be struggling people trying to make it and doing what they have to do.

There is another saying, do unto others as you would have them do unto you, if they stood by judging all the wrong that you did waiting to see you fall into the ditch how would you feel?

I once lived next door to a family that was in the situation financially, they left kids in the home for hours at a time, and the kids would come to my home hungry and dirty. My first thought was I am going to report this asap, and then I thought about it.

What good would it do to the children to have them snatch out of the home they know to be home, it is not the best home, and the parent is wrong, but it is the kids home and they love there parents the same.

So I went to the parents and told them I am not trying to be noisy but I see these things take place and you might want to address them so that you dont get in trouble.

Well they was doing the best they could with what they had, so I took the kids to my home and watch them for free, I did there laundry, helped them with there homework, and they even called me mom and my husband dad at times because that what we became to them second parents.

When the family got on there feet they was able to correct the wrong and make it right , why because someone was decent enough to care to help out and make things right.

Maybe you cant insure there cars, I sure wouldnt, but maybe as a neighbor you can help?

Whatever happen to the days when we did that her on LI? I guess this is second nature to me because I grew up here and my parents helped everyone on the block.

We had a family that lost there house they lived with us, we had neighborhoods who couldnt pay the lights we paid it for them if we could and truth be told we ran an extension cord if we couldnt. What I am saying is they are neighbors, havnt we all heard these words before " Love thy neighbor"
Their financial situation is not my problem. Stop buying cars if you can't afford to insure them (they just bought another car and put one of the plates on that one to drive it around).

I would honestly hope that if someone was gaming the system and driving around with a 2000+lb car without insurance/registration/inspection that someone would report them. Like it's been said before, who knows how these people drive. I know when they first moved in, a cop was chasing one of the guys because he was flying around the neighborhood, through stop signs, in the middle of the night.

I don't see how we should pass pity off on people for doing illegal things just because they are "only just getting by" these days. Not my problem.

And if these people were friends, I would call them out on it anyway. I routinely tell my actual acquaintances to stop being jerks on the road.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 AM

Got an e-mail from a deputy fraud investigator asking for address and plate #s.

fwding them the info.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:37 AM

142 posts, read 265,656 times
As I've said in some of my previous posts, there is a general sense of individual entitlement on Long Island. Some of the replies on this thread as well on others with people asking for advice on troublesome neighbors, landlords, etc.... have basically stated "so what?" and then called the person wanting to report problems a rat. Ridiculous.
It has to start somewhere. If one person gets away with it, then the next person does...and the next....and soon you have a problem of people starting to think "Well, if he can do it, why can't I?!" At that point, why have laws?
Sure, judge each situation individually. Maybe they have a good reason for doing this....but I'm a big believer in individual responsibility and this just doesn't seem like a case where the offending people are doing their part (especially if they just bought a new car).

Book 'em, Danno.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
As I've said in some of my previous posts, there is a general sense of individual entitlement on Long Island. Some of the replies on this thread as well on others with people asking for advice on troublesome neighbors, landlords, etc.... have basically stated "so what?" and then called the person wanting to report problems a rat. Ridiculous.
It has to start somewhere. If one person gets away with it, then the next person does...and the next....and soon you have a problem of people starting to think "Well, if he can do it, why can't I?!" At that point, why have laws?
Sure, judge each situation individually. Maybe they have a good reason for doing this....but I'm a big believer in individual responsibility and this just doesn't seem like a case where the offending people are doing their part (especially if they just bought a new car).

Book 'em, Danno.
They didn't buy a new car, none of the cars are "new" -- they just keep buying these old busted cars and leave them on the property. they have a total of 7 or 8 cars, and 1 of them is unregistered/uninsured and kept in the back yard, and now we have the situation of swapping 1 plate between 3 cars, leaving potentially 2 more cars uninsured.

If this was something minor, like just having an unregistered car on the property, I wouldn't be calling anyone, but they are committing fraud, and it will hurt someone in the end. It is not a victimless crime.

We complain that we are paying for drug addicts on welfare, but we don't complain that we pay for uninsured motorist coverage on our car insurance. How am I in the wrong for not agreeing with the situation?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:48 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,959,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post

Wow you did/do all that but complaint relentlessly on another thread about a a kid running around above your apartment ~ Remember "love thy neighbor"

There's so much wrong here, I don't have the time or the patience to get into it You complain about noise but say nothing when children are neglected, maltreated or abused
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island