Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:38 AM

142 posts, read 265,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
They didn't buy a new car, none of the cars are "new" -- they just keep buying these old busted cars and leave them on the property. they have a total of 7 or 8 cars, and 1 of them is unregistered/uninsured and kept in the back yard, and now we have the situation of swapping 1 plate between 3 cars, leaving potentially 2 more cars uninsured.

If this was something minor, like just having an unregistered car on the property, I wouldn't be calling anyone, but they are committing fraud, and it will hurt someone in the end. It is not a victimless crime.

We complain that we are paying for drug addicts on welfare, but we don't complain that we pay for uninsured motorist coverage on our car insurance. How am I in the wrong for not agreeing with the situation?
I was agreeing with you. These people sound like dirt bags. My point was that they don't sound like they are doing their part to be individually responsible. Again, if we let one person get away with it, more and more people will see this and say "Why can't I get away with it too?"
As I said.....BOOK 'EM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
I was agreeing with you. These people sound like dirt bags. My point was that they don't sound like they are doing their part to be individually responsible. Again, if we let one person get away with it, more and more people will see this and say "Why can't I get away with it too?"
As I said.....BOOK 'EM!
Oh I know you were agreeing with me -- was quoting to follow up with some of your points.

I think we all forget that we all pay for supplementary uninsured motorist insurance when we pay our car insurance premiums. Surprised this isn't more of an outrage.

In any case, a deputy fraud investigator is looking into it now and has my contact info.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:11 AM

305 posts, read 1,004,449 times
Quote:
They didn't buy a new car, none of the cars are "new" -- they just keep buying these old busted cars and leave them on the property. they have a total of 7 or 8 cars, and 1 of them is unregistered/uninsured and kept in the back yard, and now we have the situation of swapping 1 plate between 3 cars, leaving potentially 2 more cars uninsured.

If this was something minor, like just having an unregistered car on the property, I wouldn't be calling anyone, but they are committing fraud, and it will hurt someone in the end. It is not a victimless crime.

We complain that we are paying for drug addicts on welfare, but we don't complain that we pay for uninsured motorist coverage on our car insurance. How am I in the wrong for not agreeing with the situation?

How do you know they are purchasing these cars?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Got an e-mail from a deputy fraud investigator asking for address and plate #s.

fwding them the info.
Auto Unit - investigates individuals who fraudulently report their cars stolen or who possess fraudulent auto insurance identification cards, as well as auto body shop operators suspected of enhancing auto damage and related fraudulent activities

The NYS fraud dept investigates individuals for the following:

1 report their car stolen- Do you have any proof these people have report these vechicles as stolen ?

2.Who posses fraudulent auto insurance identification cards? Do you have any proof these people have fake insurance cards

3. are these people committing fraud under a body shop, and any activity related to auto body work that could or would be consider fraud?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Their financial situation is not my problem.

Them switching plates could possible do you harm, however, if they had NY plates and hit you you could have experience harm as well- So the fact they dont have plates is not your problem either.

Stop buying cars if you can't afford to insure them (they just bought another car and put one of the plates on that one to drive it around).

How do you know they are purchasing these cars?

I know when they first moved in, a cop was chasing one of the guys because he was flying around the neighborhood, through stop signs, in the middle of the night.

My husband has been a cop for 18 years in the state of NY and is currently one now that we returned back home, and if the cops was speed chasing these people around you wouldnt have to report them they would be knocking at your door looking for them because they was last seen in your neighborhood on your block.

I don't see how we should pass pity off on people for doing illegal things just because they are "only just getting by" these days. Not my problem.

If you really want to stop illegal activity in Nassau county why not take a ride down prospet park to the neighborhood of some bloods and crips and tell them how you feel about illegal crime

And if these people were friends, I would call them out on it anyway. I routinely tell my actual acquaintances to stop being jerks on the road.
Do you even have "proof that these people are driving these cars around town? Right now it is your word against theirs.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
Auto Unit - investigates individuals who fraudulently report their cars stolen or who possess fraudulent auto insurance identification cards, as well as auto body shop operators suspected of enhancing auto damage and related fraudulent activities

The NYS fraud dept investigates individuals for the following:

1 report their car stolen- Do you have any proof these people have report these vechicles as stolen ? No, I have no clue if these vehicles are even theres -- even more of a reason to get investigated

2.Who posses fraudulent auto insurance identification cards? Do you have any proof these people have fake insurance cards By law, your vehicle must be insured to be operated on NYS roads. So, they are violating the law.

3. are these people committing fraud under a body shop, and any activity related to auto body work that could or would be consider fraud? No.

Quote:
Do you even have "proof that these people are driving these cars around town? Right now it is your word against theirs.
I see them every day driving in and out of the property. I could easily snap a video with my phone proving they are operating both vehicles with 1 license plate. Right now I have pictures of two cars with 1 license plate each, both #s matching. Also have pictures of these vehicles parked on public roads.

EDIT: Also, I am not trying to bring a court case against them, so it is not "my word against theres" -- I am simply reporting fraud to the proper authorities, who will do the investigative work that they are trained to do.

You saying "if I wanted to stop illegal activity I should go confront a gang" is laughable too. I guess we can only care about huge problems and not stop smaller ones?

And, are you honestly arguing with me how this should be acceptable????

Last edited by kayfouroh; 10-13-2010 at 10:47 AM..

Old 10-13-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I see them every day driving in and out of the property. I could easily snap a video with my phone proving they are operating both vehicles with 1 license plate. Right now I have pictures of two cars with 1 license plate each, both #s matching. Also have pictures of these vehicles parked on public roads.

EDIT: Also, I am not trying to bring a court case against them, so it is not "my word against theres" -- I am simply reporting fraud to the proper authorities, who will do the investigative work that they are trained to do.

You saying "if I wanted to stop illegal activity I should go confront a gang" is laughable too. I guess we can only care about huge problems and not stop smaller ones?

And, are you honestly arguing with me how this should be acceptable????

the most that will come from this is maybe they will get a town fine but you having pictures of them driving a car down the street is not going to cut it sorry.

I ask you did you have this type of proof, because this is the evidence that NYS fraud Department will be looking into while performing the investigation, not because you would have a court case but because if they decided to dispute the matter THEY would have a court case and it would be based on the information in your report.

Which by the way cost NYS citizens more money in taxes to perform, because you do realize these investigations cost the state money, right

I am not arguing with you at all, just stating the facts and telling you that before you get all gun hoe to dig a ditch for these people and to be part of Nassau county finest, there is several illegal activity that you could be reporting such as gang, activity, this activity can also be reported without no one knowing it is you, you can simple pick up the phone a call. They would be happy to have you pictures of gangs selling drugs ect... trust me

The police is out on the street risking their life to do just that serve and protect, and we have citizens that are truely trying to do just that report illegal activity.

Crime is crime dosnt matter if it is driving a car illegal or reporting gang activity. The police cant say that they will not answer that call because it is more dangerous than the other call they answer all and the fact remains from a critical stand point that is how the state agency is going to look at this matter. Can we prove this person is committing a crime, or are we as the State going after someone we will not be able to prosecute due to lack of evidence.

Because if they are it will only benefit you and not the public, and since you are doing this to prevent illegal activity the underlining cause will not be successful

So if you are truely concern with illegal activity in your neighborhood and not just concern with the illegal activity that THEY are doing why not report it all that is all that I am saying.

Then no one including myself can interupt your intentions as being a rat or otherwise, nor would you result to coming on to city data to ask the opinion of others if you should rat these people out or not

Old 10-13-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
the most that will come from this is maybe they will get a town fine but you having pictures of them driving a car down the street is not going to cut it sorry. I am not the one that is going to give them a ticket so I do not get to "provide evidence" -- this isn't Law & Order.

I ask you did you have this type of proof, because this is the evidence that NYS fraud Department will be looking into while performing the investigation, not because you would have a court case but because if they decided to dispute the matter THEY would have a court case and it would be based on the information in your report. Their job is to collect what evidence they need, not mine. I am just reporting fraud.

Which by the way cost NYS citizens more money in taxes to perform, because you do realize these investigations cost the state money, right Everything costs money, especially uninsured motorists getting in accidents. One of their cars has a smashed front bumper so I feel bad for whoever they hit.

I am not arguing with you at all, just stating the facts and telling you that before you get all gun hoe to dig a ditch for these people and to be part of Nassau county finest, there is several illegal activity that you could be reporting such as gang, activity, this activity can also be reported without no one knowing it is you, you can simple pick up the phone a call. They would be happy to have you pictures of gangs selling drugs ect... trust me I am not "gung ho" about this, I am just doing what is right.

The police is out on the street risking their life to do just that serve and protect, and we have citizens that are truely trying to do just that report illegal activity. If I knew of other illegal activity you can be sure I would report it if it affected anyone else.

Crime is crime dosnt matter if it is driving a car illegal or reporting gang activity. The police cant say that they will not answer that call because it is more dangerous than the other call they answer all and the fact remains from a critical stand point that is how the state agency is going to look at this matter. Can we prove this person is committing a crime, or are we as the State going after someone we will not be able to prosecute due to lack of evidence. Here, I don't get what you are saying. You say crime is crime, but previously you said that there are more important things like pictures of gangs selling drugs. Fact is, there is a crime being committed, whether you like it or not.

Because if they are it will only benefit you and not the public, and since you are doing this to prevent illegal activity the underlining cause will not be successful Who knows if these are stolen cars with switched plates to hide from police. Integras are high on the most common stolen car list, if you didn't know. Most Frequently Stolen Cars

So if you are truely concern with illegal activity in your neighborhood and not just concern with the illegal activity that THEY are doing why not report it all that is all that I am saying. Like I said, if I saw other illegal activity affecting other people, I would report it and I would hope that any other proper person would do the same. Smoking a joint on your steps, IDGAF, but defrauding the state? You can be sure I'll call.

Then no one including myself can interupt your intentions as being a rat or otherwise, nor would you result to coming on to city data to ask the opinion of others if you should rat these people out or not Glad you're resorting to calling names now. Stay classy.

Responses inline. I don't appreciate being called "a rat" -- I'm not breaking up a huge drug circle, I am reporting auto insurance fraud and potentially more.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Responses inline. I don't appreciate being called "a rat" -- I'm not breaking up a huge drug circle, I am reporting auto insurance fraud and potentially more.

Your first post was this below:
Annoying neighbors are switching plates between cars.. meaning they have 2 of the same car (2 Acura Integras) with 1 license plate each... both license plate #s match.

Can I be that guy and call NCPD and report it? One is parked in the driveway and the other on the street.

It seems to me that the moment someone disagrees with you, the actions of your neighbors seems to get worst, and worst, almost like you want them to look bad to justify your actions. I dont know that for a fact so I will not accuse you of anything.

Futhermore, I hope you didnt think I was calling you a rat because I am not, I am saying to you that reporting them to be comitting insurance fraud and you not knowing this to be true has other on the forum that may look at you as being a "rat"

- I cannot be responsible for the results of life, but smoking a joint on the street corner cost taxpayers money as well, because it is illegal activity and it cost Long Island and the State of New York more money to prevent it from happen so yes it should be reported.

But most importantly is this, if I ask you these questions and it makes you upset then how are you going to handle NYS fraud department asking you these same questions.

Every crime in New York State is not enforce, nor is every complaint looked into because it would cost NYS more money to run after every complaint, and like it or not your neighbors have the same rights that you have.

It is one thing to place a call but another to take pictures, send emails, follow up with State Departments.

At first these people were parking cars in the driveway and switching plates.
Then the cops was chasing them on another occassion
Then the cars could be stolen
Then they are purchasing other cars
Then no the other cars may not even be purchase they could be stolen.

Just seems like a lot to me, but maybe because I have been married to a cop for 20 years so I know how police and State officials handle these type of complaints.

But regardless how you may feel about me, the fact still remains that if these people are comitting these crimes you still do not have enough evidence for the State of New York to pursue the matter and your cause to fight crime would be better serve using that same intiative to fight gang members in Nassau County were it is more prevalent and easy to file a complaint and have something done about it.

But then again I dont know what you may really be trying to say to me is that I should mind my business

Silly me it should take that much for me to see it uh

Old 10-13-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Your first post was this below:
Annoying neighbors are switching plates between cars.. meaning they have 2 of the same car (2 Acura Integras) with 1 license plate each... both license plate #s match.

Can I be that guy and call NCPD and report it? One is parked in the driveway and the other on the street.

Okay? It was background info

It seems to me that the moment someone disagrees with you, the actions of your neighbors seems to get worst, and worst, almost like you want them to look bad to justify your actions. I dont know that for a fact so I will not accuse you of anything. Just because I didn't divulge all of the info at once doesn't mean I am in the wrong.

Futhermore, I hope you didnt think I was calling you a rat because I am not, I am saying to you that reporting them to be comitting insurance fraud and you not knowing this to be true has other on the forum that may look at you as being a "rat" How is this to be considered false? If they were insured, what is stopping them from just getting plates? It is highly more likely that the premiums of insurance are more than the 50$ fee for the plates.

- I cannot be responsible for the results of life, but smoking a joint on the street corner cost taxpayers money as well, because it is illegal activity and it cost Long Island and the State of New York more money to prevent it from happen so yes it should be reported. How is it costing taxpayers money, other than the "drug war" going on? It is not hurting anyway.. that is my point. If you are doing something that only affects you and not anyone else (ex: parking a commercial van in your driveway (which, surprise, the neighbors do this too but you don't see me complaining) I don't think someone should be calling it in as it does not hurt anyone. We are paying SUM insurance because of dirtbags like these people thinking they can game the system.

But most importantly is this, if I ask you these questions and it makes you upset then how are you going to handle NYS fraud department asking you these same questions. I have already answered the NYS fraud investigator's questions and he said he would take it from here. He did not seem like I am stringing them along, because I'm not.

Every crime in New York State is not enforce, nor is every complaint looked into because it would cost NYS more money to run after every complaint, and like it or not your neighbors have the same rights that you have. I have the right to report illegal activity, they do not have the right to perform such illegal acts.

It is one thing to place a call but another to take pictures, send emails, follow up with State Departments. You were asking if I have evidence that they are doing such acts, yet now you belittle me for doing it? The cars are parked right outside my door, it's kind of hard not to see and be annoyed.

At first these people were parking cars in the driveway and switching plates. Yes -- they are still doing this.
Then the cops was chasing them on another occassion Like I said, this is when they first moved in. I heard the story: the one guy was racing down the sidestreets and ran from the cops, thinking if he got home he would be safe. I woke up at midnight with flashing lights outside my window because of this.
Then the cars could be stolen Who knows?
Then they are purchasing other cars They are obtaining other cars. I do not know if they are stolen, but unlike you, I am not jumping to conclusions.
Then no the other cars may not even be purchase they could be stolen. I am not jumping to conclusions, I am simply stating that they are cheating the system so it wouldn't surprise me if they were not completely legit other than the plate issue.

Just seems like a lot to me, but maybe because I have been married to a cop for 20 years so I know how police and State officials handle these type of complaints. So you're admitting that the police don't take complaints seriously, and you're okay with it?

But regardless how you may feel about me, the fact still remains that if these people are comitting these crimes you still do not have enough evidence for the State of New York to pursue the matter and your cause to fight crime would be better serve using that same intiative to fight gang members in Nassau County were it is more prevalent and easy to file a complaint and have something done about it. Again, I am just reporting what I am seeing. If I saw gang activity outside my window I would do the same thing I am doing now.

But then again I dont know what you may really be trying to say to me is that I should mind my business Maybe you should.

Silly me it should take that much for me to see it uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island