Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:15 AM

338 posts, read 778,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchBlackSS View Post
what intersection was this?

I was sitting at Rt112 and Woodside today, watching the camera flashing away at people making LEGAL left turns with the green arrow.
the camera can flash but its up to a cop to review the footage now to determinte if a law was broken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 05:06 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,175,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyfuture View Post
same here, but i didn't know there was a red camera on that intersection when i did it, i just found out only recently.
Does this mean you only do what is safe driving if you know there is a camera?
Right on red means STOP and then proceed with caution. It doesn' mean you have the right of way over cross traffic and can just roll through the turn without regard to your own safety or the safety of others.
Camera or no camera, it is just common sense to stop and LOOK especialy with motorcycle riding season coming soon.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:34 AM

764 posts, read 1,554,797 times
Default hmm

Everywhere that I have seen a red light camera has a no turn on red sign . So i am thinking people ARE running the red lights.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:31 AM

939 posts, read 1,846,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
the camera can flash but its up to a cop to review the footage now to determinte if a law was broken.
Nope. In Nassau, the camera footage is reviewed by employees of the County Traffic and Parking Violations Bureau -- not cops. They make the determination if the car has passed the red light.

This issue has been discussed here before. It is not necessary for a police officer to review or witness this violation because it is a civil violation, not a criminal violation. (The difference is that a police officer must personally witness a violation and personally serve the driver of the vehicle with a ticket in order for it to be considered criminal.) The red light camera violation does not appear on your driving record.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM

150 posts, read 298,111 times
My wife got one of these making a right on Middle Country Road in Centereach.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:14 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,348,245 times
I work with a guy who was ticketed for making a legal right on red. He brought up a good point, which is that you have to stop at the line but in the case of this particular intersection you cannot see becasue the line is set very far back from teh intersections As you move up to get a good sightline (To be safe) the camera nails you.
So they knowingly installed these cameras at intersections where it is not possible to follow the letter of the law.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 AM

53 posts, read 204,777 times
I just received a red light ticket for making a right turn on red at Marcus Ave & Lakeville Road in Nassau County.

It was a red turn arrow, but there was no signs indicating no right on red. Guess its just a way to fund our wonderful State.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 AM

53 posts, read 86,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neneloco View Post
I just received a red light ticket for making a right turn on red at Marcus Ave & Lakeville Road in Nassau County.

It was a red turn arrow, but there was no signs indicating no right on red. Guess its just a way to fund our wonderful State.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM

53 posts, read 204,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baabaabooey View Post

I just read this online:

In some states, such as New York, a right turn on red is prohibited when a red arrow is present.

DOHHHH....guess I learned my lesson.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:18 PM

5,532 posts, read 7,123,271 times
Just cake some mud on your rear license plate, problem solved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island