Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times

Advertisements

I had kids in elementary, and middle school....no problems there....the hs though??? As stated HORRIBLE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 06:25 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Yeah, cause only people from Central Islip go to Ducks games.
So the rest of the island look like rednecks? I've been here all my life - you can tell it's different there.

None of us were actually in the Ducks' stadium or even the road leading to it. I'm describing the people sitting around their cars outside (I already said this) across the street waiting for the show to start following the game.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:20 AM

46 posts, read 101,498 times
Sorry they didn't enjoy thier time there. How long ago did they attend? Who was the Supt at the time? My kids love it, do very well and have many great friends. In my view the District is very well run with hard working teachers and administrators who really care. They are very strict academically and a great example is just recently they did not allow thier star football player to play in the LI Championship game against Cary because of his academic performance in the first quarter. I bet not many Districts would take such a firm stance for a Championship game. Additionally, those who commented that its one of the poorest areas the community recently passed an 82 million dollar bond to update every school. That's hardly poor. We moved out here from a much better "percieved" district and had our concerns based on what we heard. However we were pleasantly surprised when our kids started in the district and have never looked back. One can gain a more honest perspective of Riverhead and our schools by paying a visit or checking out all the programs it offers on the schools website.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM

The above post is response to suzook.

Old 12-13-2013, 07:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,786 times
in my opinion, the worst towns are the towns where you spend $400k-700k and STILL get a small and/or piece of crap house. i mean i know they have "good schools" but the primary indicator of a child's success is the parents (whether it be their parenting style or their educational attainment)

Plainview, Jericho and New Hyde Park come to mind. no offense

Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I had kids in elementary, and middle school....no problems there....the hs though??? As stated HORRIBLE.
Can you explain for the uninformed?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,408,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
Can you explain for the uninformed?
The test scores are bad...along with behavior issues with the kids occuring frequently.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BH Fan View Post
Sorry they didn't enjoy thier time there. How long ago did they attend? Who was the Supt at the time? My kids love it, do very well and have many great friends. In my view the District is very well run with hard working teachers and administrators who really care. They are very strict academically and a great example is just recently they did not allow thier star football player to play in the LI Championship game against Cary because of his academic performance in the first quarter. I bet not many Districts would take such a firm stance for a Championship game. Additionally, those who commented that its one of the poorest areas the community recently passed an 82 million dollar bond to update every school. That's hardly poor. We moved out here from a much better "percieved" district and had our concerns based on what we heard. However we were pleasantly surprised when our kids started in the district and have never looked back. One can gain a more honest perspective of Riverhead and our schools by paying a visit or checking out all the programs it offers on the schools website.
Passing an $82 million dollar bond is merely pushing the debt off into the future. It doesn't matter how poor or wealthy the residents are. I forgot to mention NYS Building Aid which is reimbursing the school district about 66% of the cost as well.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 12-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Left off NYS building aid.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrie_Anon View Post
in my opinion, the worst towns are the towns where you spend $400k-700k and STILL get a small and/or piece of crap house. i mean i know they have "good schools" but the primary indicator of a child's success is the parents (whether it be their parenting style or their educational attainment)

Plainview, Jericho and New Hyde Park come to mind. no offense
Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
The test scores are bad...along with behavior issues with the kids occuring frequently.
The test scores may not be up to par with districts that have little or no diversity which is more attributed to family structure and resources. It's amusing how most folks who move to all white districts because of test scores are now opting their kids out of testing because they don't measure true learning. The bottom line is Riverhead gets the bad rap because its not all white. I'd respect folks more if they were honest. As far as behavior issues....hmm I guess your right because no other district has behavior issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island