Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM

815 posts, read 2,053,157 times

Advertisements

You said you don't get paid for vacation time... but what do you think christmas, winter recess, and spring break are? As for the summers, why would you possibly get paid for these 2 months when you don't work? You ask what other profession doesn't get a paycheck for 2 months - the fact is you don't get one because you don't work.

I don't understand why you don't understand. I don't want to get paid for Christmas, Spring Break, Winter recess and Summer, AND I DON'T.
These days are 'NO SCHOOL' on the academic calendar, no school, no work, no pay, no problem for me to understand this, why don't you. None of the checks issued to me contain any compensation for days that I don't work. Can you hear me now? I am perfectly okay with this scenario, as I would feel that being paid for days I don't work would be wrong.

As to this gem of a response:
Actually not all private sector jobs can go on strike

Really? Really? Most private sector jobs can't go on strike!!!

My response would violate the TOS of this board, and I don't want to shut down a perfectly informative thread, so I will not post it. In fact, if you make arguements of that caliber, I am through argueing with you.
Here is a quiz for everybody, one question, fill in the blank:

"Never argue with a(n) ______________________"

Old 02-16-2010, 11:29 AM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
You said you don't get paid for vacation time... but what do you think christmas, winter recess, and spring break are? As for the summers, why would you possibly get paid for these 2 months when you don't work? You ask what other profession doesn't get a paycheck for 2 months - the fact is you don't get one because you don't work.

I don't understand why you don't understand. I don't want to get paid for Christmas, Spring Break, Winter recess and Summer, AND I DON'T.
These days are 'NO SCHOOL' on the academic calendar, no school, no work, no pay, no problem for me to understand this, why don't you. None of the checks issued to me contain any compensation for days that I don't work. Can you hear me now? I am perfectly okay with this scenario, as I would feel that being paid for days I don't work would be wrong.

As to this gem of a response:
Actually not all private sector jobs can go on strike

Really? Really? Most private sector jobs can't go on strike!!!

My response would violate the TOS of this board, and I don't want to shut down a perfectly informative thread, so I will not post it. In fact, if you make arguements of that caliber, I am through argueing with you.
Here is a quiz for everybody, one question, fill in the blank:

"Never argue with a(n) ______________________"
Sorry fast rudy, but when I said that not all private sector jobs can go on strike, I don't mean they are forbidden from striking via the taylor law. They cannot go on strike because they are not unionized, or are a management employee. It's not as simple as "go on strike and you'll get what you want".

Your response was quite immature and borderline violates TOS. When you are willing debate instead of imply that I am whatever, I'll respond.

Until then, it's safe to say that teachers get paid a full time salary and benefits to work significantly less than full time.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:31 AM

964 posts, read 2,463,671 times
Moderator cut: Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums.

I went into the inefficiencies and waste from unions. I talked about the failures of the UAW and how non-union auto makers in the US thrived in the meantime.

I talked about the law of comparative advantage and how industrialized economies simply lose the ability to produce goods in a competitive fashion because of rising labor costs. Therefore, they have no choice but to import. If we made apparel, household goods, electronics, etc. here in the US, inflation would have skyrocketed. No one would have been able to afford what they have today, and then you would see real bread lines.

Then I went into an analysis of how we DON'T want to replicate Europe and all the struggles that continent now faces because of it's social welfare programs and union strangleholds.

Forbes had a timely article this morning on the very subject:

America's European Dream - Forbes.com

---------------
The bottom line? We can't afford to have a wasteful government and overpriced public sector.

I love teachers. My brother-in-law is one. However, the bottom line is that we are simply paying too much for them here on LI.

Someone on here was afraid to break down a teacher's salary by day worked or on an hourly basis. Why do you think that is? It's because the numbers are jawdropping when you do so.

Last edited by Keeper; 02-16-2010 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
quick question: what's the approximate starting salary for a LI teacher...and what's the approximate salary they earn in their last few years before retirement?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:13 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,044,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
quick question: what's the approximate starting salary for a LI teacher...and what's the approximate salary they earn in their last few years before retirement?

Depends on the district, usually start low to mid 40's, max out anywhere from 100K to 110-115 depending on credits past masters around the 25 year mark. Teachers with 10 years in the system are making between 65 and 85 depending on district and credits. It's in no way a 1 salary per household scenario like the police, but with a spouse with a decent job it makes LI affordable.

Then factor in all the time off and pension..that's where the comp comes in.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:16 PM

110 posts, read 225,888 times

Actually your wrong! U do get paid for these holidays...and there is nothing wrong with it either.....im a teacher, your a teacher, its part of the job description! Who really cares what other people think!??

By the way, im in my 7th year of teaching on LI and I make well over 80K...and my wife is in her 8th and she makes over 90K (we are both in our lower to mid 30s)....we worked/work our behinds off to get where we are today, and our compensations recognizes that...AND WE both LOVE our jobs and the children we work with!
GO FIGURE!

Old 02-16-2010, 12:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,765,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Depends on the district, usually start low to mid 40's, max out anywhere from 100K to 110-115 depending on credits past masters around the 25 year mark. Teachers with 10 years in the system are making between 65 and 85 depending on district and credits. It's in no way a 1 salary per household scenario like the police, but with a spouse with a decent job it makes LI affordable.

Then factor in all the time off and pension..that's where the comp comes in.
great gig. You get to double/almost triple your salary filling the same position and performing the same tasks year after year after year...lol.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but in the private sector, you get replaced a hell of a lot sooner than 25 years when you're making a certain salary and you have many applicants willing to do the same job for half.

Would it really be the end of the world if districts capped salaries at say 80k-85k but let the teachers keep the fat pension? Would the quality of education decrease? Would there be fewer applicants for teaching positions?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:33 PM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
great gig. You get to double/almost triple your salary filling the same position and performing the same tasks year after year after year...lol.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but in the private sector, you get replaced a hell of a lot sooner than 25 years when you're making a certain salary and you have many applicants willing to do the same job for half.

Would it really be the end of the world if districts capped salaries at say 80k-85k but let the teachers keep the fat pension? Would the quality of education decrease? Would there be fewer applicants for teaching positions?
According to some posters on this site, capping the teachers' salaries would lead to armies of illiterate children graduating from LI schools. To me, that says more about the teacher's motivations than anything else.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:46 PM

517 posts, read 2,485,874 times
So sick of this old argument! This is why I teach in NYC and will never teach in Long Island. I don't have kids, but I still pay my taxes, too. Yes, I make about ten grand less, but at least I don't have to deal with you people who want to bash me and my profession ad nauseum.

I'm so tired of hearing people compare education to business. Education is not supposed to be a For-Profit industry. Somehow people think that means that everyone should get paid crap. Yeah, that's a great way to get fantastic teachers. If schools were run by the business model, they'd probably ship the jobs to China, India, or Mexico where they could pay next to nothing for labor. I'm sure you'd all be so pleased with the education being provided by the folks who currently do the telephone customer service jobs.

Bottom line to those of you who won't let this argument die: Just like in EVERY OTHER PROFESSION, there are some teachers who work above and beyond for their salary, and some who do just enough to keep their job.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:54 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
So sick of this old argument! This is why I teach in NYC and will never teach in Long Island. I don't have kids, but I still pay my taxes, too. Yes, I make about ten grand less, but at least I don't have to deal with you people who want to bash me and my profession ad nauseum.

I'm so tired of hearing people compare education to business. Education is not supposed to be a For-Profit industry. Somehow people think that means that everyone should get paid crap. Yeah, that's a great way to get fantastic teachers. If schools were run by the business model, they'd probably ship the jobs to China, India, or Mexico where they could pay next to nothing for labor. I'm sure you'd all be so pleased with the education being provided by the folks who currently do the telephone customer service jobs.

Bottom line to those of you who won't let this argument die: Just like in EVERY OTHER PROFESSION, there are some teachers who work above and beyond for their salary, and some who do just enough to keep their job.

+1.

Rock on with your common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.