Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:30 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Wow that was an amusing read
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 05:31 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Wow that was an amusing read
WHOA Big Mike!

Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM

30 posts, read 66,359 times
Traffic volunteer= mall trooper head case!

Old 08-19-2011, 04:33 AM

84 posts, read 166,324 times
Well, so far this is what we have obtained from this discussion...

1) There are property owners and taxpayers in Nassau County who want the dangerous traffic situation fixed.

2) The police not only do not have a solution to the problem they will not offer one either. Not only will they not solve the problem they will fight like hell to prevent anyone else from solving it.

So the basic problem appears to be denial on the part of police officers across Nassau County. Rejection of the statistics, rejection of the accident count, rejection of the vehicle related death count, rejection of the complaints of taxpayers and motorists, and rejection of any plan that involves a solution to it all. Hence I feel that instead of being part of the solution the NCPD will eventually have the solution forced on them by the county, at which time they will sit back and complain about not having a say in it all. Schizophrenia? Perhaps...

Just as one of the previous posters to this thread, I too have lived and worked in many different states in the U.S. and I will say without reservation that the Nassau County Police are the least visible of any police agency I have ever known. Regardless of what some of the officers on this thread have said, they are not out there... they are not pulling people over... they are not doing half their job AT ALL.

Being a police officer is not about hanging out in your car waiting for a call to come over the radio, it's about DEMONSTRATING THAT YOU ARE THERE! It's about demonstrating POLICE PRESENCE! It's about saying "Here I am, and I am ready to respond". But when there is no police presence, when people get the idea that there are no police around, they are going to behave like schoolchildren behave when the teacher leaves the classroom unattended. And that is the larger problem here, NO POLICE PRESENCE. No fear that a policeman will stop you for being an idiot. That is the problem... And having a large volunteer traffic enforcement officer program would give the average person the feeling that they are indeed being watched and monitored CONSTANTLY and not just once in a very great while. We need this program. We've needed it for over a decade. And it looks like we will have it because our police have no intention of doing what every other police agency in America does. Again, will will solve this problem regardless of the NCPD's inability to grasp the basis of the complaints or to respond to them.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:13 AM

87 posts, read 174,887 times
Default Off to Work

Old 08-19-2011, 06:31 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Didn't you know that photographing police is illegal??

Old 08-19-2011, 06:48 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylander View Post
Well, so far this is what we have obtained from this discussion...

1) There are property owners and taxpayers in Nassau County who want the dangerous traffic situation fixed.

2) The police not only do not have a solution to the problem they will not offer one either. Not only will they not solve the problem they will fight like hell to prevent anyone else from solving it.

So the basic problem appears to be denial on the part of police officers across Nassau County. Rejection of the statistics, rejection of the accident count, rejection of the vehicle related death count, rejection of the complaints of taxpayers and motorists, and rejection of any plan that involves a solution to it all. Hence I feel that instead of being part of the solution the NCPD will eventually have the solution forced on them by the county, at which time they will sit back and complain about not having a say in it all. Schizophrenia? Perhaps...

Just as one of the previous posters to this thread, I too have lived and worked in many different states in the U.S. and I will say without reservation that the Nassau County Police are the least visible of any police agency I have ever known. Regardless of what some of the officers on this thread have said, they are not out there... they are not pulling people over... they are not doing half their job AT ALL.

Being a police officer is not about hanging out in your car waiting for a call to come over the radio, it's about DEMONSTRATING THAT YOU ARE THERE! It's about demonstrating POLICE PRESENCE! It's about saying "Here I am, and I am ready to respond". But when there is no police presence, when people get the idea that there are no police around, they are going to behave like schoolchildren behave when the teacher leaves the classroom unattended. And that is the larger problem here, NO POLICE PRESENCE. No fear that a policeman will stop you for being an idiot. That is the problem... And having a large volunteer traffic enforcement officer program would give the average person the feeling that they are indeed being watched and monitored CONSTANTLY and not just once in a very great while. We need this program. We've needed it for over a decade. And it looks like we will have it because our police have no intention of doing what every other police agency in America does. Again, will will solve this problem regardless of the NCPD's inability to grasp the basis of the complaints or to respond to them.

What you don't know about police operations would fill a book. And your suggestions/recommendations to "fix" a "problem" that only you seem to experience: simply bizarre.

Tin foil hat time.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:34 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Lmfbo. . .

To the OP, really, well then i wasn't stopped yesterday for dark tint. . . .

I wish that NC wasn't around like you seem to think. . . . this was on school rd, maybe that's one of these speedway streets. . . .

Old 08-19-2011, 10:02 AM

151 posts, read 367,594 times
If you don't have a marked Police vehicle, I'm not pulling over for you anyway.

BUT,

WAIT!!!! I have a solution!!!

Have the OP leave Nassau County and he won't have to worry about the lack of police patrolling the roads

Old 08-19-2011, 12:05 PM

137 posts, read 249,370 times
Hmm, how'z about we give the Police new uniforms & prowlers. Day/Night Glow types.

Wherever they go, we'll see the glow. Ah, a reassuring glow in the distance.

Unless of course my tinfoil hat slips down over my eyes, in which case I'll prolly get a good connection to Alpha Centauri. What news from there lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island