Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 10:12 PM

34 posts, read 117,702 times

Advertisements

Does such thing exist amongst the Hamptons? As an outsider, we have heard of Southampton, Westhampton and Easthampton. But there are more to the Hamptons than just those three, right?

What's the general perception on the pecking order?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 11:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
There's also Bridgehampton

Old 09-05-2011, 11:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post
Does such thing exist amongst the Hamptons? As an outsider, we have heard of Southampton, Westhampton and Easthampton. But there are more to the Hamptons than just those three, right?

I would say:

East
South
West
Bridge

Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toffee123 View Post

I think you have been watching too much of the Housewives of NYC. I saw that one with my wife and 1 was too many. There is no pecking order. Westhampton is rich and stupid partying punks. Southampton is rich and they like to show it and frequently use these homes as 2nd(seasonal) homes. East is rich and like to live in their own world; alot of celebrities.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:17 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I would say:

East
South
West
Bridge

We gotta get you east of 110 Elke.

; )

OK...here's my list.

Amagansett
East
Bridge
Water Mill
South
Sag Harbor
The Quogues etc
Remsenberg
West
Montauk
Springs
Hampton Bays

Old 09-06-2011, 05:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
Anything west of the canal doesn't count to the real Hamptonites. Celebrity wealth and some old money can be found in east Hampton(and a slightly more laid back vibe)the new uber wealth can be found in Sagaponack, Water Mill and Bridgehampton (with a sprinkle of old money), Southampton Village has some mega wealth in the estate area but the majority of Southampton is year round people and summer homes for the successful but not ultra wealthy. There totally is a pecking order, it doesn't matter as much by town as it does by north or south of the highway. Anything with a south of the highway address is considered more prestigious by far.
My husband builds luxury homes, both contract and spec in the Hamptons and address does mean everything. There are even specific streets that are known as the big money/most desired homes, they do compare notes socially. It's rare that I don't hear them telling each other details about their home in the Hamptons and which street their apartment in NYC is on when we attend social events.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, that mentality is what keeps the market out there strong.
Our friend is a top producing broker, she has 3 houses in contract for 15 million plus right now.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Anything west of the canal doesn't count to the real Hamptonites. Celebrity wealth and some old money can be found in east Hampton(and a slightly more laid back vibe)the new uber wealth can be found in Sagaponack, Water Mill and Bridgehampton (with a sprinkle of old money), Southampton Village has some mega wealth in the estate area but the majority of Southampton is year round people and summer homes for the successful but not ultra wealthy. There totally is a pecking order, it doesn't matter as much by town as it does by north or south of the highway. Anything with a south of the highway address is considered more prestigious by far.
My husband builds luxury homes, both contract and spec in the Hamptons and address does mean everything. There are even specific streets that are known as the big money/most desired homes, they do compare notes socially. It's rare that I don't hear them telling each other details about their home in the Hamptons and which street their apartment in NYC is on when we attend social events.
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, that mentality is what keeps the market out there strong.
Our friend is a top producing broker, she has 3 houses in contract for 15 million plus right now.

Im not so sure about that.I would say that WHB/Dune rd counts more than Hampton Bays but Old money...yes.

Forgot Sagaponack.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,449 times
All this is why I prefer the more....real North Fork to the tourists and Weekend at Bernies mentality that hits the South Fork. Which stinks because the people who actually live out there are really nice.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Beginning with the Hamlet of Hampton Bays in the Town of Southampton, and moving west to east ...

Hamlet of Hampton Bays
Hamlet of Shinnecock Hills
Hamlet of Tuckahoe
Village of Southampton
Hamlet of North Sea
Hamlet of Water Mill
Hamlet of Noyack
Village of North Haven
Village of Sag Harbor*
Hamlet of Bridgehampton
Village of Sagaponack

Continuing west to east in the Town of East Hampton:

Village of Sag Harbor*
Hamlet of Wainscott
Hamlet of Northwest Harbor
Hamlet of East Hampton North
Village of East Hampton
Hamlet of Springs
Hamlet of Amagansett
Hamlet of Napeague
Hamlet of Montauk

* The Village of Sag Harbor is partly in the Town of Southampton and partly in the Town of East Hampton.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Remsenburg is the most exclusive area of the Hamptons. 2 bedroom houses for 700k +.

West or east of the canal does not change the township a hamlet or village is in. The Hamptons start at the Southampton side of Eastport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island