Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM

305 posts, read 611,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
Hello guys,
My husband and I are looking to purchase our first home. We wanted to place an offer on a condo in Holbrook, but the community (Woodgate) is not FHA approved, which makes the process for us and future buyers more difficult than it should be.

We've been pre-approved and we'd like to spend significantly less than what we can afford, especially because I am planning on going back to school at some point in the near future. Therefore, our budget is around $250k.

We have found some smaller houses in Farmingville and in Lake Ronkonkoma... we've also seen some in Ronkonkoma. Would these areas be suitable for a youngish couple just starting out? We need to be somewhere in between Stony Brook and Bethpage (within 30-40 minutes)

Also, does anyone know of any relatively safe-ish areas in that vicinity that are not too far and have houses in that price range? We don't need anything too fancy; our only requirement is that it has 1.5 bathrooms (or more) and it's not a short sale (we wouldn't have time for one to go through).

Thanks!
Did you look at Condo's in Nob Hill. That's right in your budget. It's a nice area. Right on the border of Nesconset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM

247 posts, read 511,740 times
We did, actually, and the problem with those is that they are not FHA approved, either. We have seen the same condos for sale for months and months, and I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that people are having a hard time getting non-FHA loans, which our mortgage guy said was difficult to do.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM

305 posts, read 611,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieDaphne View Post
We did, actually, and the problem with those is that they are not FHA approved, either. We have seen the same condos for sale for months and months, and I have a feeling it has to do with the fact that people are having a hard time getting non-FHA loans, which our mortgage guy said was difficult to do.
I can't imagine that there's a lot of FHA approved anything on LI. Did you try getting a loan from a credit union?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM

247 posts, read 511,740 times
Well, houses are FHA approved, but most condo communities are not... that's why we are going the house route.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:07 AM

426 posts, read 961,812 times
I would be careful with the FHA loans, as someone said.....they can have a lot of restrictions, in terms of what you are required to have in your house (as far as safety measures, since the gov't is guaranteeing the loan they want a lot of requirements etc) as well as the fact that it can be a big pain when you try to sell the house down the road.

And another downside is that condos are bascially out, bc a lot of them, as you know, are not FHA approved.

Would it be feasible for you guys to just wait a little bit, until you can get approved for a private mortgage?

Maybe consider renting for the time being so you can save some more money for a down payment so you don't need the FHA loan...

Just a thought....

Old 10-26-2011, 01:09 PM

195 posts, read 310,904 times
i just drove through new england village looking for the house that was 289..it was the smallest one..but certainly a very very nice community..however holbrook looks like it has NOTHING else.

maybe i just don't know the area but at least centereach has al the shopping you could ask for right near by and its closer to port jeff village and TOAST yum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
I agree, for SLIGHTLY MORE money I'd pick Holbrook (New England Village)/Holtsville

Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,062,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
i just drove through new england village looking for the house that was 289..it was the smallest one..but certainly a very very nice community..however holbrook looks like it has NOTHING else.

maybe i just don't know the area but at least centereach has al the shopping you could ask for right near by and its closer to port jeff village and TOAST yum.
Holbrook is the poster child for bad planning. Huge housing developments, no parks. Shopping actually isn't super far but there is no neighborhood grocery store or deli.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,344,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post

That community is completely residential without any traffic or shopping, sometimes I wonder if they wanted it that way. There is a strip mall down the road and a country club up the road.

But you are right.... apart from a small portion on Main street, I would just call it a residential town/hamlet/whetever. In that general area Patchogue down south or lake grove up north have the walkable delis/shopping/downtowns and traffic.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,999,160 times
Don"t know about Ronkokoma but don"t move to Farmigville unless you Like Mexico

Old 10-27-2011, 06:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,542,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
That community is completely residential without any traffic or shopping, sometimes I wonder if they wanted it that way. There is a strip mall down the road and a country club up the road.

But you are right.... apart from a small portion on Main street, I would just call it a residential town/hamlet/whetever. In that general area Patchogue down south or lake grove up north have the walkable delis/shopping/downtowns and traffic.
Yes, we like it that way. Keeps our TAX's down. My tax's are only $6200 and never went up since I bought my house exactly 5 yrs. ago.

1/2 mile to LIE and 1/2 mile to Sunrise. I dont think I can deal with Route 25 during rush hour in Centereach/Seldan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island