Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:05 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times

Advertisements

My husband, son and I have been trying to move for a few years. My husband tried all the traditional applying for jobs but nothing has been forthcoming. Finally we went on a vacation to Vermont/NH last month (more of a scouting out) and decided we wanted to move there. We know the area is not 'dead' and it has jobs, even if we don't have any yet.

Now we are getting flack from people. They keep saying 'why would you move THERE?' I suppose unless you only run to somewhere warm and cheap like NC, AZ or Florida you are bound to get funny looks/comments.

I wish people I knew on Long Island were more open minded. There is like BEYOND Florida and North Carolina and yes, some people DO like cold weather over hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 07:20 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
New England is a far better choice for Long Islanders than the south - thats just my opinion. Vermont is beautiful as is New Hampshire.

I think several places in Vermont and New Hampshire have been consistently been rated among the best places to live by MONEY magazine. From what I understand the schools are good, there is very little crime and the towns are neat and orderly. I don't think there would be much of a cultural transition for Long Islanders.

The south on the otherhand is booming, but is that a good thing? Especially if you are trying to get away from crime, traffic and overcrowded schools. All boom towns in the south are growing fast with all the associated issues. If I had to go south I would choose North Carolina over Arizona or Florida.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:28 AM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
For me I couldnt live with that much snow. I like the tropics,but Florida is very expensive now with the taxes an home owners. new england on the other hand is beautifull and I would go there if I could deal with the snow.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:47 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,303 times
Because of health reasons and a desire for mild winters we are going to move where there is very little humididty so our list consists of Reno, Albuquerque (where there are many ex New Yorkers), south west Oregon & Prescott, Arizona.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:04 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
That's sort of an unfair comment. We considered many areas east of the Mississippi River before deciding on North Carolina. We seriously considered eastern PA and western NY during the process.

However you can't easily dismiss longer warm weather seasons, particularly when you have young children who love to play outside. While I love the cold and snow I'm sure in the long run I'll be glad to not have to deal with it as I get older. We'll use our vacations to play in the snow (Smuggler's Notch).

Old 08-25-2007, 08:10 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Couldnt agree more....off to Tolland county CT.
Heart of NE.
1 Hour to Bpt. Ferry
C

Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 AM

672 posts, read 906,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
That's sort of an unfair comment. We considered many areas east of the Mississippi River before deciding on North Carolina. We seriously considered eastern PA and western NY during the process.

However you can't easily dismiss longer warm weather seasons, particularly when you have young children who love to play outside. While I love the cold and snow I'm sure in the long run I'll be glad to not have to deal with it as I get older. We'll use our vacations to play in the snow (Smuggler's Notch).
It has been over 90 degrees every day for two months now in SW Florida. Kids play outside? My husband and his boss went to play golf. He got heat stroke. It was 97 degrees with a heat index of 105. The WATER temperature is now 90 degrees.

I am 58. I would rather shovel over a foot of snow, and I have ALONE, than suffer HEAT STROKE.

I WANT the cold. I don't care about beaches. I want to see the leaves turn. I want to see SNOW.

I hope some day, if I live long enough, to go HOME.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:13 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
It is easier to warm up than it is to cool down. Plus, it is fun to sit next to a fireplace on a cold day - I've yet to hear someone describe sitting next to an airconditioner as fun.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:17 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
We'd love to move to Fairfield County, Connecticut!

Although if DH truly had his way, we'd be moving to the Adirondacks.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:05 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
It has been over 90 degrees every day for two months now in SW Florida. Kids play outside? My husband and his boss went to play golf. He got heat stroke. It was 97 degrees with a heat index of 105. The WATER temperature is now 90 degrees.

I am 58. I would rather shovel over a foot of snow, and I have ALONE, than suffer HEAT STROKE.

I WANT the cold. I don't care about beaches. I want to see the leaves turn. I want to see SNOW.

I hope some day, if I live long enough, to go HOME.
You say that now,but wait till it is 5 degrees and the snow will not stop,and it seems like spring will never come. The fall is great the winter sucks that is why people get cabin fever. I know the heat is horrable but your winters down there are great,it is a trade off. Your husband could not even attempt golf in two feet of snow. think about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island