Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:22 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times

Advertisements

You have a lot to choose from, but the problem is that most of it is mediocre at what your income is...unless you have a very sizable downpayment lined up. Taken from one in the same income range and looking for the same things but in Suffolk county. Coming from another area you will be shocked at how little you will get for your money, especially in Nassau.

One thing I give Nassau is that despite being very crowded and congested, it tends to have a pretty decent park system depending on where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 12:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You have a lot to choose from, but the problem is that most of it is mediocre at what your income is...unless you have a very sizable downpayment lined up. Taken from one in the same income range and looking for the same things but in Suffolk county. Coming from another area you will be shocked at how little you will get for your money, especially in Nassau.

One thing I give Nassau is that despite being very crowded and congested, it tends to have a pretty decent park system depending on where you are.
She said she was coming "from the city" so I assumed that to be NYC. If that is so, then maybe she won't have such sticker shock after all.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:55 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,031,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
She said she was coming "from the city" so I assumed that to be NYC. If that is so, then maybe she won't have such sticker shock after all.
Right, in that case she might be thrilled at the huge plots of land that are attainable.

It's all about perspective.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Perhaps Rockville Centre will fit the bill? The school district is highly rated and there is a mix of students, some coming from affluent families and others coming from more modest families in South Hempstead. It's pretty close to Mineola. It has good LIRR service and lots and lots of shopping, including a movie theater. There are also restaurants, dance and martial arts schools for the kids, famous pet store, and a bowling alley. There are sidewalks. Echo Park is just outside Rockville Centre and has an indoor and outdoor pool with various activities for adults and kids.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:57 PM

148 posts, read 556,878 times
Bethpage is the way to go.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Many of your comments are describing what you will find in Valley Stream, which is in southwestern Nassau County. Good school district, nice village area, sidewalks, parks, pool, biking walking trails, has a State park besides the local parks, roller hockey, mini golf, and other recreational activities, diverse population so your kids will be in a real world environment, not too snobby and materialistic, no major drug problems in schools.

I don't always agree with the above poster but I have to admit when one is right

But a few things were left out that you are also looking for...It will give you that 'City' feel you are looking for. One major thing that was left out was beautiful Mall called Green Acres, again you'll feel like you never left the city. Your kids will definitely get a real world experience in that place, trust me on this.

Next right down the block is also a beautiful movie theater, it's one of a kind in Nassau County. Again you and your family will have the full experience of getting patted down and going through a METAL DETECTOR before enjoining your flick. And trust me the movie goers really get into it especially the mafia and action movies.

Some people even say the V.S. has become an extension of NYC ( Queens) but I don't believe that the Taxes are way to high to say that. Then again if you live in the 'Village' the taxes are even more. So if your looking for small lots and high taxes, this might work for you.

Tell you the truth, you're probably better off in some areas of Queens.
After a year or two you'll become a disgruntled poster on here like the rest of them. You will start complaining how your taxes are going up every year and how teachers, and police officers salaries are killing the Island. Pensions are out of control, the county is bankrupt The county executives are clueless, everybody on the county payroll is corrupt, everything is mismanaged and too expensive. Traffic is out of control, LIRR conductors are the scum of the earth, the buses are being privatized, the utilities and the freaking sewer system is a dam monopoly. the list goes on and on and on. Save yourself a lot of headache and stay where you are

Old 11-05-2011, 10:49 AM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times
RVC. Has a little of everything from snobs to thugs. Highly rated schools, sidewalks, a downtown area, a train station, pretty decent overall place to live. Housing ranges from low millions on the snobbery end, and down into the high 400's for a fixer up/starter home.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:29 PM

14 posts, read 30,447 times
Try South Merrick or South Seaford.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:32 PM

14 posts, read 30,447 times
The Long Island Riviera (Merrick, Bellmore, Seaford, Wantagh, Massapequa) has excellent school districts and homes range from $300-400k (for a tiny fixer-upper) to well over $1 million.

The southern areas by the water are all very nice, and if you want to go north, try the Wantagh Woods. Beautiful neighborhood.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:21 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,454,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecollarbred View Post
Me and my husband are from the city, we make a combined income of $160k-180k and we're thinking about moving out to Long Island. So I assume we can afford almost any area we want but we don't want our kids raised in school district that's too affluent. Of course we want an EXCELLENT school district but we just don't want it in an area that's too rich. We want them raised in a place with real down-to-earth people, kids of all different types of backgrounds, somewhere where they wouldn't need to feel that they have to have the latest clothes and cars to be accepted. A lot of rich suburban school districts have big drug problems from what I hear.

We just really want to prepare our kids for the real world instead of hiding from it, which I see a lot of people trying to do thinking their kids will somehow benefit. I want to give them a real world experience.

We would prefer Nassau but at this point, i'm willing to explore my options so if there's something like this a little further out then that then please let me know! Me and my husband are very athletic and we want our kids to stay in shape so we would prefer a city that actually has sidewalks, I heard some places actually don't? A place that has a lot of other recreational activities are preferred to.

Thank you for your help

You can't "live anywhere you want" on that income. Many places, but not anyplace.

In reading your post, I think that you are correct,you would be happiest and feel better accepted in a middle to blue collar type area. You do come across as "blue collar", in attitude and in your writing style.

I'm thinking that Floral Park or Massapequa might suit you. Decent schools, and the former mostly has sidewalks. North Vally Stream is another option.

Since you are very sports oriented, you might like Holbrook (Suffolk County) The Sachem District is known to be "jocky", but not excellent. You really would not like the excellent school districts.

Out of curiosity, are you allied health care workers?

Last edited by sheena12; 02-19-2014 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island