Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:37 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 516xo212 View Post
Where else can you be at the beach within 15 mins and be so close to NYC all in the same time?! I'm not sure I would ever voluntarily move off Long Island.
I find comments like this so entertaining. Are you talking about beaches similar to the pink-sand beaches in Bermuda? With that indescribable shade of blue water like in Aruba? OH - no - you are talking about the local beaches that are regularly closed after heavy rain because of the raw sewage that runs out of NYC and into the surrounding waters? What's that old saying? "Moderator cut: language removed is another mans gold." - could not be more true, I guess.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-30-2012 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 12:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I find comments like this so entertaining. Are you talking about beaches similar to the pink-sand beaches in Bermuda? With that indescribable shade of blue water like in Aruba? OH - no - you are talking about the local beaches that are regularly closed after heavy rain because of the raw sewage that runs out of NYC and into the surrounding waters? What's that old saying? " is another mans gold." - could not be more true, I guess.
Far be it from me to defend anything about LI but you're being a little ridiculous about the beaches. Fire Island is one of the nicest in the country, similar to cape cod. Bermuda isn't the be all end all for beaches. Fire Island and New England are pretty gorgeous. As for getting there in 15 minutes...well that's a different story. Anything nice around here comes with an ocean size class pricetag and hassle factor.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 09-30-2012 at 09:47 AM..

Old 09-27-2012, 05:11 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
And I find comments like yours ridiculous.
Agreed.

Hamptons Beaches Fourth Best In World Says National Geographic - 27east

Top 10 Best U.S. Beaches in 2010 Announced | LiveScience

California's Coronado the country's best beach in annual list by "Dr. Beach" - NYPOST.com
Main Beach in East Hampton the country's third best beach

America's Best Beaches : Condé Nast Traveler

Old 09-27-2012, 06:00 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,897 times
Who rates theses beaches anyway

Tell you the truth on a warm summer day I could close my eyes and I won't know if I was on Cooper, Cape Hatteras,VA, Myrtle, Hamoa,Main,Short,Coronad,South, BEACH Assateague

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz,and some fine bikini babes and I'm fine

Old 09-27-2012, 08:01 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,455 times
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/ny...flow.html?_r=0

Don't worry guys - it's still an Island paradise we live on - with some of the best beaches in the world! How much of that 27 billion gallons of "pollutants" actually makes it out to the beaches of LI anyway. But hey - just as a precaution - I would avoid accidentally swallowing any of the water while you are swimming!

Old 09-28-2012, 04:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/ny...flow.html?_r=0

Don't worry guys - it's still an Island paradise we live on - with some of the best beaches in the world! How much of that 27 billion gallons of "pollutants" actually makes it out to the beaches of LI anyway. But hey - just as a precaution - I would avoid accidentally swallowing any of the water while you are swimming!
Nowhere in this article is LI mentioned. Nor does it talk about how it would affect LI beaches if at all.

Look we get it. You hate LI, enjoy (insert generic cheap southern expat city here) and don't let the door hit you...

Old 09-28-2012, 05:08 AM

247 posts, read 378,481 times
Lived on LI my entire life, and moved to Charlotte (actually Concord, NC) 5 1/2 years ago.

I moved with work, and would do it again in a heartbeat. We saw the signs that with the way taxes were increasing on our tiny cape in Lindenhurst, that living on LI wasn't a viable option going forward.

I miss certain aspects of LI and NY in general at times - but you learn to cope. We have great beaches in NC. They aren't that close - so we go for a long weekend, or we rent a house for a week. I miss the Yankees - so I will travel to see them - sometimes back to NY (thank God for JetBlue!) and sometimes other places, like Atlanta or Baltimore or Minneapolis. I can afford to do those things now that I don't live under the same financial burdens I did in NY.

It's not for everyone, I get that. We weren't sure if it was right for us. But we learned and adapted to our new surroundings, finding the best NY style pizza place, and a decent bagel store.

The schools are great (as long as you do some research), the weather is pretty good (summer is a bit hotter ) and the area is growing like crazy.

I will always be a New Yorker. My Southern friends won't ever let me forget. I get yelled at for calling a cook out a BBQ (that HAS to involve pork here), and I am affectionally known as a Yankee Carpetbagger. All in good fun, and besides, I have more than enough ex-New Yorkers to keep me company.

Moving is a very personal decision which requires a lot of thought, some soul searching and extreme amounts of research. But after going through the process and being here for as long as we have - I am very happy with the way things have turned out.

I would rather work less, allow my wife to stay at home, and spend more time with my kids in NC (or anywhere) then going back to the insanity of trying to keep our heads above water on LI.

Just thought I would post from the perspective of someone who has been there...

Last edited by Reggie4417; 09-28-2012 at 05:42 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 05:43 AM

1,967 posts, read 2,709,945 times
Default If you could move off Long Island...would you??

As soon as my youngest son graduates high school (3 years), we're gone.

I was born and raised in NYC, but then moved around the country (Dallas (twice), Miami, Denver, DC, Houston) because of my government job. Eight years ago, I requested a transfer back to NY thinking that we'd retire here. BIGGEST MISTAKE I EVER MADE. I'm not going to go through my laundry list of what I don't like, but let me just say that my property taxes went from $7600 to $13K. Ever rising sky rocket property taxes is something that no retiree should have to worry about.

and I won't let the door hit me on my azz on the way out ...

Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM

32 posts, read 122,384 times
Without a doubt! I'm looking at colleges out of state all together (Mostly in Colorado)

I've been born and raised here all my life and I reside within the Five Towns in Nassau. I live in close proximity to Far Rockaway and it's not the best feeling, but my general neighborhood is pretty safe and living close to Rockaway Turnpike is a real treat. But honestly, I'm getting sick of my little town and hell the island as a whole.

Some parts of the island I love, like Garden City {Roosevelt Mall is great! I really really hate the Green Acres one, but eh it has what I need sometimes} and Franklin Square {I volunteered at Franklin General for a year} but for the most part I can care less about any other part especially Suffolk. Suffolk has more of a 'rural' feel to it.

Pros? In my area, I find it very convinent. Just a walk down and I have a Family Dollar with a few food stores, make a left and I have Stop n Shop and CVS. With a short car ride I can get into Rockaway Turnpike and you have most of your chain fast-food resturants and of course your Starbucks. Another Pro is we have some pretty good universities here like Adelphi, Hofstra (albeit in a bad neighborhood), Stony Brook etc. I also live about 40 minutes away from Manhattan, which makes for a great {albeit expensive} weekend!

Cons? I wouldn't call it "ghetto" at all but it sure has a trashy-feel to it. However, in my high school I'd definitely call it "ghetto" with the cops coming in literally every day and the 'gang-culture' is pretty alive there. One of my friends were jumped near Peninsula Blvd by some gangster-wannabes. Also, it's very expensive here and I'm not just talking about gas which is global. The health insurance and car insurance is insane and my parents cannot afford it here anymore and my father had this house since the 50s. Generally, I'm just sick of this place as a whole and as soon as I move, my parents are moving to Florida. Now if you want to talk about nice beaches.... A1A in Ft. Lauderdale beats Altlantic beach any day (only beach I've went to here... I'm not much of a beach person). The public transit is a nightmare, I absolutely hate the LIRR and cannot fathom taking a bus.

Of course, this is in perspective of a senior high school student. I've been to many places on the island but never further east than Stony Brook.

All in all, I'm complaining about the "gang culture" that's more or less in my school only. Hewlett is a great little town and Cedarhurst has a lot of stores but it's filled with Orthodox jews which isn't a bad thing... but some can be pretty nasty. They usually never bother with you, though. I'm just a believer that the grass is always greener and I am estatic to move to the West. As much as I like it here, I'm also 'been there, done that' about it as well. Crime is everywhere and every state/area has their great sides and their less-than-stellar sides and I can no longer look at my town without a jaded view and an extreme dislike to some who live here. All I can say is just come and see for yourself.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:14 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
/\/\

Well written and very Insightful ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island