Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 01:26 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
The whole Island is an attraction.
C

And that is exactly why so many people LIKE to live here and why property values are so high. Things to do, things to see, places to eat and shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 03:43 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,488,589 times
I say leave the site alone and let it turn back to wilderness. I hear there is some good hunting on that land for deer and pheasant, etc...

Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Noooo Kelly Nooo

Dont be duped....thats gonna put a hurtin on your property value.
Whats in it for Ridge?
All the traffic...none of the tax benefit.

Luxury...my a$$
Wait till you see the skels from the city that come out for this gem.
Youre gonna wish you never had it.

As for agriculture....the land is toxic it will never be farmland again thanks to Grumman.
It would have been a prime location for a technology park,college,airport,dragstrip: )
Anything other than this.

Be afraid Kelly be very afraid.

Get to a civic meeting....fight like hell.

C

Dick Amper is all over it. I'm not worried & I was kidding about it being good for me. I'm in town of brookhaven so I'd get nothing but headaches. Not to mention it will put splish splash out of business & they have done a tremendous job of not spoiling the area & bringing something clean & fun for our kids. It sure will be nice if they close the skydiving & antique war plane tours over there. I'm sick of them flying right over my trees, using the lake as a landmark & flying back to calverton.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:19 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Dick Amper is all over it. I'm not worried & I was kidding about it being good for me. I'm in town of brookhaven so I'd get nothing but headaches. Not to mention it will put splish splash out of business & they have done a tremendous job of not spoiling the area & bringing something clean & fun for our kids. It sure will be nice if they close the skydiving & antique war plane tours over there. I'm sick of them flying right over my trees, using the lake as a landmark & flying back to calverton.
Im sure he is.

I wish Dick Amper would run for Supervisor.

The NewDems clearly suck and the Crookhaven Cons are a trainwreck.

C

Old 09-21-2007, 07:22 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I say leave the site alone and let it turn back to wilderness. I hear there is some good hunting on that land for deer and pheasant, etc...
No money in wilderness. (Although I would much prefer the land be preserved.)

Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 AM

105 posts, read 496,416 times
Quote:
Dont be duped....thats gonna put a hurtin on your property value.
Whats in it for Ridge?
All the traffic...none of the tax benefit.

Wait till you see the skels from the city that come out for this gem.
Youre gonna wish you never had it.

It would have been a prime location for a technology park,college,airport,dragstrip: )
Why in the world would anyone think a dragstrip would be 'better' to have nearby than an indoor ski resort???? (unless you are a fan of drag racing) I would think that there would be more concern over 'visitor quality' for a dragstrip than for many other attractions --- and the NOISE factor..! If we were living near a site that was going to be turned into a dragstrip, the first thing we would do is start looking for another house elsewhere.

I'm also confused about why there would be no tax benefit from the ski resort. Maybe it works differently in New York, but here commercial property that covers a large geographic area (such as an industrial or office park) pays a proportionately large share in taxes and takes some of the burden off the local homeowners. I would assume -- correct me if wrong -- that the only kind of facility that would not result in a tax benefit to the area would be a nonprofit/tax exempt entity such as a church or school. Why would the proposed ski resort not pay taxes, just like other businesses do?

But as for a dragstrip being preferable .... I'm sorry but I just can't see that being a desirable thing for the surrounding residents.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:48 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyHoliday View Post
Why in the world would anyone think a dragstrip would be 'better' to have nearby than an indoor ski resort???? (unless you are a fan of drag racing) I would think that there would be more concern over 'visitor quality' for a dragstrip than for many other attractions --- and the NOISE factor..! If we were living near a site that was going to be turned into a dragstrip, the first thing we would do is start looking for another house elsewhere.

I'm also confused about why there would be no tax benefit from the ski resort. Maybe it works differently in New York, but here commercial property that covers a large geographic area (such as an industrial or office park) pays a proportionately large share in taxes and takes some of the burden off the local homeowners. I would assume -- correct me if wrong -- that the only kind of facility that would not result in a tax benefit to the area would be a nonprofit/tax exempt entity such as a church or school. Why would the proposed ski resort not pay taxes, just like other businesses do?

But as for a dragstrip being preferable .... I'm sorry but I just can't see that being a desirable thing for the surrounding residents.
did you not see the : )

I effin with you.

Its not the tax revenue were sacrificing but the Jobs .

Hooray for McJobs on LI.

Thats what we need more parking attendants.

C

Old 09-21-2007, 11:46 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
This is a great development and I really hope it goes through. All those times going to Great Adventure saying why doesn't NY have a real amusement park? The East End is a vacation destination already, this will only make it more so. The town is getting $155 million from the sale, and millions per yr. They said the initial estimates will be that this development will make up 10% of the entire towns tax base, possibly lowering taxes for everyone else (we'll see about that). I love how people want to do nothing with it...then complain about taxes. This will create 2200 hotel rooms and 2000 time share units. This is real...real visits, real people spening money not only at this place, but at the wineries, restaurants, farm stands, etc. It's nice to say this could hav been a tech park, but there are plenty of other places on the Island for this.

This is only 755 acres of a 2900 acre development. Recenltly a bunch of land (I think about 492 acres) was sold to a develper to create and retain industrial development. This is also surrounded by 3000 acres of wilderness that is being preserved. I also think that 900 acres is being left undeveloped.

The point is to diversify the site and to attract more people to the region. It is also to be a catalyst for development of other sites in the area. I know they are looking to develop 50 acres of Gabrski airport for office/industril space as well.

This will be a huge develpment for the area if it goes through. Given the dopey NIMBYs, I'm not really sure of that, though.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM

105 posts, read 496,416 times
Quote:
did you not see the : )
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood it! I thought (especially after reading the online article that said the choice was between the land being used for a dragstrip or the indoor ski park), that your meant that you're a dragracing fan and would have liked them to choose that option. If your emoticon had been a I would have realized you were kidding. Oops!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:36 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,949 times
I read in Newsday that they are taking "some of the last undeveloped acres" of downstate NY to build this thing. Why can't they just leave it alone? You know that it will not help the average citizen in Riverhead. All it will do is benefit whoever builds it and create even more traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island