Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 06:37 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
All joking aside, do you seriously not believe that people from NYC move to LI? You should check out Nassau sometime. Meet some of the people..
Yes, I've never met anyone who did so. I'm really trying to wrap my head around the very idea of someone moving from city to Long Island.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Regardless of col or who the real poster is I want my 4 week update! Please please please ! I need a good laugh....

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2
The 4 week update will be composed and posted when you tell us about the favor you "called in" and wasted, Godfather Mike.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:37 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,822,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
All joking aside, do you seriously not believe that people from NYC move to LI? You should check out Nassau sometime. Meet some of the people.

I've had my thoughts about who is off their meds, but this sealed the deal for me!

And yeah, I did bring up HOA and pest control, 2 of about a dozen various costs to compare to LI. The main point of that was to show the COL differences were highly exaggerated -- which I proved without a doubt. Funny, I don't recall you adding to that thread with your own COL difference to contribute. Only Bigmike (and possibly 1 other poster) attempted it and came up with a whopping $1-$2k difference for basic COL.

I've also had my thoughts about who is hiding under this handle. Also sealed .
I did bring up the actual cost of buying the house in that thread, but that didn't seem to count in the cost of living calculations for some reason... Something about you not liking the comparable kind of house you can get for the same amount money in other parts of the county as compared to Levittown.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:26 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I did bring up the actual cost of buying the house in that thread, but that didn't seem to count in the cost of living calculations for some reason... Something about you not liking the comparable kind of house you can get for the same amount money in other parts of the county as compared to Levittown.
He's right if you throw out a person's biggest nuts like MORTGAGE,RENTS,TAXES,ELECTRIC,CAR INSURANCE, HOME OWNERS INSURANCE but I don't how you can It's nice to make a full comparison in my book, makes it more legit in my book Plus I would go same age and SQF of the compare homes to give you an even better comparison. Pick and choose what works best for your side, is the old smoke and mirror trick.

Everything vs. Everything(everything tolls,gas,state taxes,food,commuting costs,services,repairs,etc,etc)

A Family of 4/5 can't live on the Island on 70K total income (4bd/3ba home on a half acre plus) But here it's the norm here.....

Trust me, 40-45% less income here and you could live the same way as you do on the Island even with your 1-2K difference in your mind

Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 AM

312 posts, read 516,425 times
BigMike50, When you aren't busy using your "pull" to hunt out people, please be sure to check into the HOA fees and house insurance fees for some of the subdivisions in Mt. Pleasant, SC. -- possibly Dunes West, Park West, and Rivertowne just to name a few. Your buddy here in real estate surely has ties to real estate agents there.. Heck, maybe you know the mayor there! .. now, don't look at half a million dollar homes... just upper 200s-300s range.
Also, be sure to look into "renting" a nice home in those subdivisions. You might also factor in the $600 a year for pest treatment. Termites are a very real threat (as they are in many regions), and let's not forget the flying cockroaches and other cockroaches. My home was treated six times a year. (People here complain about insects, but the mosquitoes are nothing here... add on the no see ums that plague the coast, and yes, there are some benefits of living here.) Oh, and we don't want to forget the personal property tax on vehicles, boats, etc. I am not saying it is as inexpensive to live here as there, but it isn't as bad as some make it out to be (beyond cost of house and property taxes-- I haven't received my first LIPA bill, but I will assume that is high also)... Then again, shhhhh let's keep it our secret so all those people in other regions don't flock here.....

Yes, you get less home here. Mine is about 700 sq ft less, and I paid more. However, it is a heck of a lot cuter than the cookie cutter design I had in a large subdivision there. Commute.. ummm it was over 3 miles of very low mph with tons of roundabouts to just get out of the subdivision.

It sounds like you have found your personal paradise, but trust me I don't know of families of 4/5 who live comfortably in Mt. Pleasant on 75,000. I would bet that.. unless they "like debt". Also, jobs there paying that amount would pay a great deal more here.

Things were so twisted in this thread that I declined to post. Also, the things I wanted to say .. well, like we teach our kids..don't say anything on the internet you don't want to come back years later.. so I kept my mouth shut.

I never said I didn't know about leaves... Not sure where that came from... I believe I said I didn't deal with them the last l0 years due to the palm trees in my yard -- I figured I would have to factor in taking care of those here.

Yes, I actually knew of two grocery stores close. I didn't want to shop at either for reasons I am not going to mention (again I don't think bashing a store --or any organization-- has a place in a public forum). That is why I was searching out alternatives.

I didn't stay in Glen Allen to house hunt. I stayed there because I wanted someone nice/inexpensive to stay (with a kitchen) with my son until I could close here. Yes, hotels are very expensive in both Mt. Pleasant and Long Island compared to Glen Allen. It was one of the nicer areas I could find on the drive between Mt. Pleasant and here to stay for an extended period of time. ..and no, you don't get a roach infested hotel for about $46 a night. Even one of the senior members here defended the area and stated it was possible. You can get a really nice extended stay hotel walking distance of Trader Joes, the children's museum, etc there for that price.... They key is that you have to stay there over a month.

As far as not knowing about car registration being due in 30 days, well, I think the phrase I typed was something along the lines of -I just realized it was due in 30 days." Yes, I did remember l0 years ago I had to do it within a certain period of time, so I double checked the law here. Realizing something doesn't mean someone has no idea. It means that they are multi-tasking, and they just "thought of" it.

Finally, saying that staying here is the smartest thing for retirement was also taken incorrectly. At this time I have no plans of retiring here. It is just that many occupations in the NE pay better than many areas of the country. Therefore, you can build up a much better retirement so that you can afford to move to somewhere else. I can't envision being here in my 80s because I like warm weather. There are also a couple of other reasons which make it also wise for me to personally stay until I can retire, but those are not your business.

I will not waste another brain cell trying to explain every single thing that I have said. Perhaps synapses are misfiring which results in a misunderstanding... Whatever the reason, I am not going to type things and then spend a lot of time rewording every sentence. There won't be any updates, and I have no desire to directly reply to your posts again. It isn't worth my time. I will just use this board to read and learn about the area. I have met enough people now to help with any questions. People need to be careful they aren't reading too much into a sentence.

Good luck BM50 with your little corner of paradise. I hope you have many fulfilling years there..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Lol, truly I don't care... I'm not going to reply to any of your future posts... So feel free to continue your updates.....

Many are looking forward to them including myself....

Same to you enjoy your little slice of heaven

Have a great one!

Sent from my iPhone 5
using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You weren't the only one to bring those up... I did read the COL posts you refer to, but you didn't prove anything related to costs - certainly not a dollar figure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
You did, but I also brought up how you could buy new way out in Suffolk for similar prices ( I believe I mentioned $300k new homes in RP and Medford/Riverhead?) combined with the fact that not everyone values a shiny cookie cutter mcmansion the same way...it's all subjective, and you're certainly increasing your daily COL by buying bigger than you need.

Quote:
He's right if you throw out a person's biggest nuts like MORTGAGE,RENTS,TAXES,ELECTRIC,CAR INSURANCE, HOME OWNERS INSURANCE but I don't how you can It's nice to make a full comparison in my book, makes it more legit in my book Plus I would go same age and SQF of the compare homes to give you an even better comparison. Pick and choose what works best for your side, is the old smoke and mirror trick.

Everything vs. Everything(everything tolls,gas,state taxes,food,commuting costs,services,repairs,etc,etc)

A Family of 4/5 can't live on the Island on 70K total income (4bd/3ba home on a half acre plus) But here it's the norm here.....

Trust me, 40-45% less income here and you could live the same way as you do on the Island even with your 1-2K difference in your mind
Right, but you're throwing out Water bills, HOA, pest control, Personal property taxes on boats/cars, sanitation, better job market/opportunities here, more amenities...We could discuss it again on that thread if you guys want. I believe it was the 'commuting from NC to LI for work' thread?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:00 PM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Quote:
Me too I'm more curious on someone that moves and pays 150K more for a home plus 11K more in Taxes,looking for a 10K childcare place, spends months in Richmond because it's the cheapest place from SC to LI to stay? Now is getting all this work done and states that the Job Market isn't so good and pays a lot less in SC. Now says I hope to retire here

I just want to know what field or kind of work the OP does? Most pay very very well and a lot of flexibility...

I just read this...

1,000 + for HOA...lol Home owners insurance is less on the Island then SC. Preschool is so cheap down south compared to L.I. Sweet lady at the town office...everyone is so sweet to her. Exchange rate? Is this a Foreign country? What's up with this pest control stuff, second time I heard this...What are you paying to get rid off? I imagine tress with leafs on them, only in NY.

My head is spinning also!
The OP is saying that money is saved by NOT needing pest control in LI. In SC, pest control is crucial or you will have enormous palmetto bugs in your house.
This is a person who is settling in and dealing with the frustration that comes with it. Let's face it, relocating to NY from just about anywhere has its pitfalls. I am glad the OP shares these experiences with us. Since when is referring to people as being 'sweet' a bad thing?

Old 08-17-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
Someone from the South voluntarily moving to LI? I don't buy it. Some people from Brooklyn/Queens may move there, otherwise you are born there.

Your WPP handler is going to be really pissed.
Seriously? Long Island is just so, so bad that you can't believe that someone is actually choosing to move there? Long Island has some terrific things going for it. Yeah, there are problems. Where aren't there problems?

She already said the WPP thing was a joke.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Who cares about an online defensive driving course .... I want to know who pays a grand a year in HOA fees... Who sells a home in SC but proceeds to spend the next couple of months in a hotel in Richmond with a dog and a 3 yo because its the cheapest place they can afford.

Why are other poster 'setting the record straight' why DM the only two people on this forum the 'truth'? Why not tell all and set the record straight.

When one moves to NY,Fl,GA,CA,AZ,NC, or any other state in the US you have to get the exact same moving checklist done The Op has moved several times in her life but for some unknown reason was unprepared and sounded like a novice and still does. Even now it reads like poorly written reverse stereotypical L.I. Vs. the rest of the county but this coming from someone moving to L.I. Instead of moving from . So this is the reason the Op gets a pass from a few,but it was the other way around forget about it.

He/ She lived all over the Midwest and south and can't believe the trees have leafs and a full service gas stations, stop signs, tipping, can't believe everyone sounds the same must be some NY accent and she grow up in Ohio not Alabama.

To me, her blogs, diary or whatever you want to call this, sounds like a Martian crash landed on L.I. Than someone that has lived in multiple states and areas... Long Island is part of the US and people are people and homes are homes, we speak the same language, the big differences is it way more expensive to live. That's the culture shock not the people,gas stations, supermarkets or stop signs or traffic lights. Transfer rate as she called it lol.

This sounds like Mork from Ork, Mork calling Orson nanoo nanoo

Man we all want to be a believer but come on, who's the biggest fool on these threads? Think about that....

Kirk out!
Lemme tell ya somethin'. When we moved from NY to SoCal in 2001, I really thought we moved to Mars. Everything seemed so different. It was hard to believe this was the same USA. I can't define it exactly, but I can well believe that someone from South Carolina might have the same feeling as I did all those years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island