Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,368,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
Everything clearly falls to pieces in your absence, J.
I can't leave you kiddies alone for one day! Must I always be the sensible one around here?

Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 05:23 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
I don't agree with 30to60whatever's implicit racism, but I have to say that I see at least one person with a KFC box on my train home every day (and McDonald's bags, and Wendy's, and Burger King, and whole pizzas, etc.). I'm usually on a 7:30ish train, and for some reason, it always looks like everyone but me just hit the buffet.

As for being on the subway a lot and judging from that experience, the fact is, people aren't on the subway long enough to tuck into a meal, usually - even the weirdest folks generally won't bust out the full dinner plate for a 20 minute subway ride - but LIRR rides ARE long enough to think that it's an appropriate place for dinner time. If you're hopping on a 7:30 train from Penn, knowing your train won't pull into your home station until 8:15 or later (which is the case for most folks on a given train), I guess the idea of eating while riding seems a lot more appealing than waiting until you get home to eat.
Well..I guess the chicken will get cold by then.

In all fairness, the large beast that plopped next to me did not leave a mess. She did put everything away and didnt throw the bag on the floor. It was just kinda gross watching her lick every finger after eating a piece of chicken....mmm, tasty.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:26 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Well..I guess the chicken will get cold by then.

In all fairness, the large beast that plopped next to me did not leave a mess. She did put everything away and didnt throw the bag on the floor. It was just kinda gross watching her lick every finger after eating a piece of chicken....mmm, tasty.
Why were you watching her? Surely you've heard of these mad inventions called books, newspapers, tablets, cell phones, mp3 players, and e-readers that allow you to focus only on your own immediate space and ignore/drown-out the person sitting next to you while on the train?

Sorry, but if I were her and I saw you watching me eat the whole train ride, I'd think you were being a bit of a creeper.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 PM

No, I havent heard of those things. Please tell me about them.

I, like all commuters, do not bury my head for the entire trip into some electronic device. We do tend to look around...sometimes even out the window, imagine that.

Its hard to ignore grunting and slurping sounds next to you.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM

537 posts, read 1,447,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Chicken Eaters should be Banned from the LIRR.

My train stops at Jamaica. Im in the window seat of a three-seater. In walks, a ghetto mama large enough to take up almost two seats...and, of course, she sits next to me.

Her stomach almost was rubbing on teh back rest of the seat in front of us. She proceeds to balance a plastic bag filled with Fried Chicken on her belly and begins to eat it with her hands. It was disgusting watching this blob of a her person consuming her chicken, grunting and then licking her fingers. Of course, Im hoping she gets off at Freeport but no....she stayed on to, Im guessing, Amityville.

Not that the smell of fried chicken is all that bad but do we need some pig engorging themselves on the train like that? Its a commuter train, and LIRR doesnt stand for Long Island Rack of Ribs. Buy some chicken on your way home. Dont stink up the car with your food and use it as a dining facility.

This is an awesome post. So true too, as I have seen it as well. It's either the KFC, or Chinese/Halal. And that stuff stinks.

Whenever I am getting on at Penn and I see somebody with a buffet of food, I move to the next car to sit down. Unfortunately can't do this if they get on at Jamaica (at least not without losing your seat).

Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM

I remember a day when some chinese woman opened up her homemade food from some tupperware. It must have been some fish dish. It stunk to heaven. First time i ever saw someone say anything. She quickly put it away but the stench lingered.

I just dont get it why people cant just grab a snack and wait to get home to eat. Ill admit i do like fried chicken but tge ladt place i want to eat it is on the lirr

Old 08-29-2013, 01:09 PM

179 posts, read 304,106 times
get ready for labor day! Careful getting home tomorrow! The train will be packed to the brim with stupid yuppies who are going to Fire Island for the last time this season. Their big stupid rolling bags will take up entire rows of seats.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:17 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
get ready for labor day! Careful getting home tomorrow! The train will be packed to the brim with stupid yuppies who are going to Fire Island for the last time this season. Their big stupid rolling bags will take up entire rows of seats.
Ugh....your right. Fun,fun...

Old 08-30-2013, 06:04 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,697,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
This is an awesome post. So true too, as I have seen it as well. It's either the KFC, or Chinese/Halal. And that stuff stinks.

Whenever I am getting on at Penn and I see somebody with a buffet of food, I move to the next car to sit down. Unfortunately can't do this if they get on at Jamaica (at least not without losing your seat).
All the more reason to find the express that skips Jamaica

Old 08-30-2013, 08:31 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,071,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
All the more reason to find the express that skips Jamaica
or skipper Jamaica all together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island