Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times

Advertisements

I should've mentioned this earlier but inner-suburbs are sustainable but anything further out than that is troublesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 03:24 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
This is old news.

Whenever you have hoards of bored teens with not much to do then you're gonna get inflated levels of youth drug-use, suicide and depression. You're also raising a very sheltered individual..

The suburbs are a failed experiment and America is slowly starting to realize that.

LI can't change the fact that it's endless suburbs; the damage has been done... but the places deeper on the island could at least alter themselves to be more young adult friendly. Which means redeveloping downtowns/main streets to give them life, increasing walkability and providing young adults a place to live so they're only options aren't leaving the island or staying in an overpriced illegal basement apartment.
Complete nonsense. Although I agree the island needs to do more to make hosting affordable for young adults to say the suburbs are a 'failed experiment' is a joke. Millions upon millions live and will continue to live in the suburbs nationwide.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
HUH??? This is going on in middle to upper class neighborhoods. There wasnt rampant crack use around here.
I'm speaking in a general sense. Not just applying to suburbia. Speaking of which you don't think cocaine reached middle and upper class neighborhoods in its heyday? One hard drug replaces another as the 'epidemic' of the day. It's cyclic.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,080 times
This heroin use goes way beyond what this island has ever seen. How many of you knew of classmates that od'd going back 30 years? In the last year I have heard of 7 ods fROM kids to adults with children. Most importantly, not many start off doing heroin. Its the pills that changed everything and it will be hard to fix this monster.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:55 PM

133 posts, read 283,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Long Island IS like the other suburbs in the country.

Contrary to popular belief of most Long Islanders, not everywhere outside of the suburbs is an inner-city ghetto.

For your information, the outer portions of city's not only offer suburban-like density, [usually] good schools, much lower taxes but also reasonable conveniences and activities (which would also help keep your kids from jamming needles up their arms). As well as [generally] maintaining strong property values.
My friend, I've worked in Manhattan, dowtown and up in Harlem & Washington Heights, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens the only borough I have not had the pleasure of spending to much time in was Staten Island. You can keep it, it all stinks. I wouldn't want to live in any of these places nor would I want to send my kids to school in any of them, and personally I think theres a lot more drug use going on in the city and outer boroughs than here on the Island. If you think its so great move back.

Old 02-08-2014, 04:52 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
the war on drugs IS a waste of time and money. its being lost every day. its a parents responsibilty to educate their children about drugs, alcohol and cigarettes. personally I beleive smoking marajuana is far safer than drinking alcohol. we all know cigs are gonna kill you. Why aren't alcohol and cigarettes banned? its all about the money going to the politicians. you have to explain to your kids whats going to kill them and what isn't. If your kid gets hooked on anything its on you.
Good point!

They did try it with alcohol however ...

Old 02-08-2014, 04:58 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This heroin use goes way beyond what this island has ever seen. How many of you knew of classmates that od'd going back 30 years? In the last year I have heard of 7 ods fROM kids to adults with children. Most importantly, not many start off doing heroin. Its the pills that changed everything and it will be hard to fix this monster.
Yes, doctors and Big Pharma stuffing every Tom, Dick and Harry with a random ache and pain full of pills that are the synthetic identical chemical equivalent to heroin wasn't such a good idea after all. But Big Pharma and the doctors weren't satisfied with the $$$$ they were making just prescribing the dope for cancer and post-surgical situations like they used to do with these drugs, so they determined it was "safe" to prescribe it for pain you used to take non-narcotics!!

WIN = Big Pharma = BILLIONS IN PROFITS!

WIN = Doctors = Millions from Patients!

LOSE = Patient = Hooked on Painkillers Who Turns Into a Heroin Junkie When Pharmacy Watchdog Database, Insurance Company or Doctor Says "No More Pills For YOU!"

Old 02-08-2014, 05:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,849 times
Quote:
whats real BS is the cops already made three arrest in the Seymor Phillip Hoffman drug related death. If it was your kid or mine do you think they would have acted the same way? Oh thats right he was a special celebrity. our society is whacked and so is SPH
You don't know that. The could be making arrests all the time of non-celebrities. And because they are not celebrities, it is not newsworthy and we don't know about it.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I'm speaking in a general sense. Not just applying to suburbia. Speaking of which you don't think cocaine reached middle and upper class neighborhoods in its heyday? One hard drug replaces another as the 'epidemic' of the day. It's cyclic.
Your comparing cocaine to HEROIN???? Sorry, but they are miles apart.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
the war on drugs IS a waste of time and money. its being lost every day. its a parents responsibilty to educate their children about drugs, alcohol and cigarettes. personally I beleive smoking marajuana is far safer than drinking alcohol. we all know cigs are gonna kill you. Why aren't alcohol and cigarettes banned? its all about the money going to the politicians. you have to explain to your kids whats going to kill them and what isn't. If your kid gets hooked on anything its on you.
Maybe the term as we're used to it is not what I should use to illustrate my point. The fact that it remains illegal makes it a deterrent for our kids to get to them as easily. Educating them only goes so far. That is unless you think it's ok for kids to be doing heroin and it will be less likely to be abused as a result - unlikely since heroin is a bit of a different bugger.

And lastly, prohibition was reversed because of reasons like a failing economy, source of jobs/revenue, lessening the black market, and it was basically unenforceable. It wasn't brought back because alcohol was just fine and dandy. Anyway, it doesn't compare to heroin. Ask some of those addicts if they were ever warned about it - think they'll say no?

Last edited by ovi8; 02-08-2014 at 07:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island