Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,730,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post

Jeez.... do you think this is new???? Seriously?? Suburban kids have been using "Hillbilly Heroin" for years, the "explosion" happening in the last 7-10 years. It started with the Pharm Parties and kids would steal prescription drugs from their parents and they would bring them to these parties and everyone would try stuff. Oxycontin/Oxycodone became HUGELY popular --- it's opiate-based just like heroin --- and that's how the "Hillbilly Heroin" epidemic started on Long Island.

They would take the pills.... when they built up a resistence and had to use more pills, they would crush it up and snort it.... when that stopped working, they would "cook" it and shoot it up.

Now that many pharmacies will no longer carry Oxycodone or Oxycontin, the kids are using heroin, which now comes in small bags for as little as $5.

Don't think just because you live on a tree-lined cul-de-sac in a lily-white neighborhood that your kids are immune to the heroin craze..... those are exactly the ones who use it!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
This heroin use goes way beyond what this island has ever seen. How many of you knew of classmates that od'd going back 30 years? In the last year I have heard of 7 ods fROM kids to adults with children. Most importantly, not many start off doing heroin. Its the pills that changed everything and it will be hard to fix this monster.

Heroin goes back to the beginning of time. However, its use was not nearly as prevalent in the 'burbs as it is today. Of course, there were people using but not like now.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinnner1 View Post
My friend, I've worked in Manhattan, dowtown and up in Harlem & Washington Heights, the Bronx, Brooklyn, and Queens the only borough I have not had the pleasure of spending to much time in was Staten Island. You can keep it, it all stinks. I wouldn't want to live in any of these places nor would I want to send my kids to school in any of them, and personally I think theres a lot more drug use going on in the city and outer boroughs than here on the Island. If you think its so great move back.

Exactly. You WORKED in the city. You've never lived there and you know nothing about it or its schools or its neighborhoods or anything else.

I love these suburbanites who go into the city for work and think they know all about it!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:47 AM

133 posts, read 283,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
You don't know that. The could be making arrests all the time of non-celebrities. And because they are not celebrities, it is not newsworthy and we don't know about it.
samey samey as my point.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 AM

133 posts, read 283,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Exactly. You WORKED in the city. You've never lived there and you know nothing about it or its schools or its neighborhoods or anything else.

I love these suburbanites who go into the city for work and think they know all about it!
I guess your to dense to figure out what I did for a living for 25 years. It wasn't working in an office. I can assure you I know more about what happens in the city than you can ever imagine. roll your eyes somewhere else.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:48 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Kids have always been using some substance that is illegal and usually bad for them. In my teens PCP was a hot ticket along with ludes, booze, weed and occasionally acid. Problems exist at all levels of society it just seems that the affluent suburbs buy the better stuff and blow up in the media more than the low income neighborhoods where everyone thinks that these problems only occur.

Remember Stony Brook used to be known as Stoned Brook....

Old 02-09-2014, 06:52 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Your comparing cocaine to HEROIN???? Sorry, but they are miles apart.
I'm aware the drugs are different (and agree heroin in worse). But they are also similar in the way that they are both addictive hard drugs that can kill you. And both have had their 'epidemics' and spikes on media attention.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I'm aware the drugs are different (and agree heroin in worse). But they are also similar in the way that they are both addictive hard drugs that can kill you. And both have had their 'epidemics' and spikes on media attention.
Agree about the "epidemics", But still cant compare the two, they are in WAY different leagues.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,748 times
Drug use is drug use. You have yuppies snorting coke in manhattan and hillbillies doing meth in West Virginia.

I do think Long Island s-cks, but that is a separate issue. Not only is their suburban sprawl here, but that sprawl is contained on an island, so you feel trapped.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Maybe the term as we're used to it is not what I should use to illustrate my point. The fact that it remains illegal makes it a deterrent for our kids to get to them as easily. Educating them only goes so far. That is unless you think it's ok for kids to be doing heroin and it will be less likely to be abused as a result - unlikely since heroin is a bit of a different bugger.

And lastly, prohibition was reversed because of reasons like a failing economy, source of jobs/revenue, lessening the black market, and it was basically unenforceable. It wasn't brought back because alcohol was just fine and dandy. Anyway, it doesn't compare to heroin. Ask some of those addicts if they were ever warned about it - think they'll say no?
Illegal drugs are easier for kids to get than alcohol. Supplies are plentiful, purity is at an all time high, we spend billions upon billions fighting this "war" and have the highest incarceration rate in the world - by what standard ISN'T it a total abject failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island