Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
It's already leagalize by big Pharma in ever drug store. What are you talking about. This is how all of this started. When they founds ways to crack down on the pills they went to the next best thing on the streets. There was already a deman for the prduct because of the pills.
Exactly. Once the composition of the pills was changed to make them hard to break down, addicts switched to heroin and dealers were more than happy to oblige the addicted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Once you are addicted to heroin....its with you for life...almost impossible to kick....even if you do...1, 5,10, 20 years later...bam...back on it.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,727,089 times
Mechanism of opiate addiction is completely different from other drugs -- ScienceDaily

For those discussing opioid addiction vs. cocaine/crack addiction.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
I've seen deals go in in parking lots in the industrial park where I work. When I was in school, only hard core "dirtbags" would ever go near the stuff...even in college when grunge was cool and heroin made a big comeback, it was only the "indie" kids, and the hard core ones, who would go near it.

Now it appears that kids view this stuff like weed used to be viewed, but it's so much more dangerous.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:08 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've seen deals go in in parking lots in the industrial park where I work. When I was in school, only hard core "dirtbags" would ever go near the stuff...even in college when grunge was cool and heroin made a big comeback, it was only the "indie" kids, and the hard core ones, who would go near it.

Now it appears that kids view this stuff like weed used to be viewed, but it's so much more dangerous.
So in your opinion kids are going straight to heroin? I think kids (and adults) are using opioid pills first and then when they get addicted to them and have problems getting them, then are turning to heroin and that is where the current heroin epidemic is coming from.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
I just don't understand what possesses a kid to try an extremely dangerous life ruining drug like heroin even once. Especially a so called 'middle class' kid. Pot I can understand but heroin? It's crazy.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

414 posts, read 808,976 times
Bad parenting /thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:59 AM

260 posts, read 450,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I just don't understand what possesses a kid to try an extremely dangerous life ruining drug like heroin even once. Especially a so called 'middle class' kid. Pot I can understand but heroin? It's crazy.

I don't either, but maybe it's because I didn't grow up middle class. In the 'hood, we saw firsthand what strung out looked like. You knew that even the drug dealers themselves had the golden rule "never get high off your own supply". I get the sense that suburban kids feel more invincible, like it can't happen to them? Or do they just not care? Whatever it is, it's VERY sad.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
I don't either, but maybe it's because I didn't grow up middle class. In the 'hood, we saw firsthand what strung out looked like. You knew that even the drug dealers themselves had the golden rule "never get high off your own supply". I get the sense that suburban kids feel more invincible, like it can't happen to them? Or do they just not care? Whatever it is, it's VERY sad.
I would think suburban kids are more likely to have the money to fund a drug habit.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:06 AM

260 posts, read 450,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I would think suburban kids are more likely to have the money to fund a drug habit.
Oh snap, having grown up SANS allowance, that NEVER occured to me. That's probably it.

Manchild in the Promised Land (Claude Brown) should be required reading in junior high. If anyone has teens, read this book with them. Guaranteed to crush any sexy fantasies they might have of heroine and heavy drugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island