Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No, it's a splanch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splanch

I grew up in a split, which looks similar, but had 4 levels and a basement. It looks similar to the other house, but has an additional level. Here's a split level house located in my old neighborhood:

A splanch:

They look very similar which is why some people who are not familiar with the difference unwittingly use the terms split and splanch interchangeably.

Note the roof pitch over the front door on the split. That's where the 4th level was. The splanch does not have a 4th level over the front door.

This is a "Splanch", short for split-level ranch; sometimes called a "front to rear split". Notice the higher than usual roof line. I grew up in a house very similar to this and my grandmother also had a house with such a layout.. From the street it appears to be a ranch but only the living room, dining room and kitchen are on the main level. In the center of the house are two short staircases, one going up to the bedroom level, the other going down to a family room, laundry room and bathroom.

The one I lived in also had a crawl space under the living room level which could have been a fourth level if it had been dug into a full basement. The back of the house was tall, flat and ugly and had access to the backyard through the laundry room about four feet below grade level.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 01:40 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

This is a "Splanch", short for split-level ranch; sometimes called a "front to rear split". Notice the higher than usual roof line. I grew up in a house very similar to this and my grandmother also had a house with such a layout.. From the street it appears to be a ranch but only the living room, dining room and kitchen are on the main level. In the center of the house are two short staircases, one going up to the bedroom level, the other going down to a family room, laundry room and bathroom.

The one I lived in also had a crawl space under the living room level which could have been a fourth level if it had been dug into a full basement. The back of the house was tall, flat and ugly and had access to the backyard through the laundry room about four feet below grade level.

Yes. There is more than one model of splanch -- such as the picture which MemoryMaker provided and the second picture (sage green house) which I provided.

My sister-in-law's splanch looks just like the one MemoryMaker posted, but the interior layout matches exactly what you've described.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:47 PM

107 posts, read 234,891 times
Is there a good website that shows all the typical house types (split, ranch, splanch, colonial, etc.) and typical floor plans plus pros/cons of each? I'd be interesting reading for sure.

Old 08-07-2015, 06:58 PM

519 posts, read 597,798 times
Quote:
No, it's a splanch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splanch

I grew up in a split, which looks similar, but had 4 levels and a basement. It looks similar to the other house, but has an additional level. Here's a split level house located in my old neighborhood:

A splanch:

They look very similar which is why some people who are not familiar with the difference unwittingly use the terms split and splanch interchangeably.

Note the roof pitch over the front door on the split. That's where the 4th level was. The splanch does not have a 4th level over the front door.
The listing itself, and Nassau County Assessor's Office say it's a split-
https://www.redfin.com/NY/Westbury/2.../home/20360965

Here's a typical splanch that I'm used to seeing-

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Baldwin/34.../home/20279832

Last edited by Howard Beale; 08-07-2015 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-07-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post

The listing MemoryMaker gave does say that, no argument there. When I input my sister-in-law's address (not in Westbury) it does not. Looking at the rear pics of the Westbury house, my SIL's doesn't look like that in the back. (No bump out as seen to the left of the listing's photo, only one window adjacent to the door on the right side of the photo.)

Here's another variation of a splanch which is similar to your example:

3 Dellmarie Lane Nesconset, NY | Long Island North Shore Real Estate, NY Real Estate - Property Listing - Dawn Viola, Realtor

It has all the splanch hallmarks in the floor layout:
garage at entry level; center entrance; kitchen dividing family room from dining room; living room (the wood floored 'family room' in the photos) on its own level; bedrooms on their own level.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post

That Milburn Ave house is the worst of both worlds. It's as ugly as a high ranch with the inconvenience of a split level. While the picture and description I posted was of a front-to-rear split (splanch) I guess this one could also be called a rear-to-front split level version.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
The listing MemoryMaker gave does say that, no argument there. When I input my sister-in-law's address (not in Westbury) it does not. Looking at the rear pics of the Westbury house, my SIL's doesn't look like that in the back. (No bump out as seen to the left of the listing's photo, only one window adjacent to the door on the right side of the photo.)

Here's another variation of a splanch which is similar to your example:

3 Dellmarie Lane Nesconset, NY | Long Island North Shore Real Estate, NY Real Estate - Property Listing - Dawn Viola, Realtor

It has all the splanch hallmarks in the floor layout:
garage at entry level; center entrance; kitchen dividing family room from dining room; living room (the wood floored 'family room' in the photos) on its own level; bedrooms on their own level.
Hmmm, no part of that house looks like a ranch so I don't see how it can be called a splanch. More realtor-speak, perhaps?

Old 08-10-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Hmmm, no part of that house looks like a ranch so I don't see how it can be called a splanch. More realtor-speak, perhaps?
The thing is it doesn't have to 'look like a ranch' because it isn't a ranch as it has more than one floor. If you were to peel away the second floor and extend the existing garage roofline over the first floor the house would look just like a ranch. But seeing this is a splanch and by definition has living space on more than one level, it can't have the traditional ranch roofline.

https://books.google.com/books?id=FY...planch&f=false

Look at this 'beauty'
Splanch Home for Sale - 2841 Mandalay Beach Rd, Wantagh, NY REAL ESTATE

As with many mid century homes, it has been tweaked, but inside, it still features the garage at entry level, living room on its own level, and bedrooms on another level.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:09 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyfulHope View Post
They are the same thing. Splanch is slang for "Split-level ranch"
you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:09 PM

8 posts, read 10,448 times
what about Seaford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island