Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 12:47 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
ok then you are reporting facts to the police, which though I think is petty, I can't argue with. But reporting that you suspect people are illegal based solely on the number of people living in the home and their license plate is clear racial profiling. It's like pulling over a black man because he has dreads and is smoking a cigar. But some people can't see their own prejudice.
Once again, when you call to report someone, ICE will ask you what the basis is for your claim that they are here illegally. "Out of state license plate" is not going to trigger a deportation event. Moreover, all your report does is have them open an investigation, during which they will, presumably, gather evidence, since that's what investigations are for.

The only thing for defenders of criminal aliens like you to fear is that the profiling was correct. Which it was, more likely than not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2017, 12:48 PM

190 posts, read 152,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The vast majority were legal. And as I already said in this thread in fact, immigrants then were encouraged to assimilate, not form hostile voting blocks for the Democratic Party, and there were next to no social services for them to collect, unlike today when the immigrant population uses welfare at a much higher rate than the native population (and it doesn't get better for their kids, unless they're Asian/Indian).

Even with those conditions it still took an entire generation to assimilate them, while the borders were essentially closed for 40 years. My grandmother only spoke Spanish, my mother hasn't spoken it since she was a child, and I only know what I learned in school.

There are other differences between European/Asian immigrants and those from third world hellholes but that's a topic for another thread.
The reason why Mexicans find it harder to assimilate is because they have become the face and illegal immigration. There is no way to tell an European or Asian immigrant is legal or illegal. So why are you so quick to judge when it's a south or central American. The same rules should apply. But it's the stereotypical nature of people that prevent them from treating others equally. Can you show me data that suggest a 3rd generation European or Asian immigrant assimilate more readily than a third generation Mexican? No one wants to fight the system. They just want to be treated fairly. Lack of equal opportunity and treatment has always plagued our country.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Once again, when you call to report someone, ICE will ask you what the basis is for your claim that they are here illegally. "Out of state license plate" is not going to trigger a deportation event. Moreover, all your report does is have them open an investigation, during which they will, presumably, gather evidence, since that's what investigations are for.

The only thing for defenders of criminal aliens like you to fear is that the profiling was correct. Which it was, more likely than not.
You're talking as if being investigation by law enforcement is no big deal. You don't see the seriousness in it because you're not experiencing it. Just knowing someone is looking into your life is uncomfortable. You may not have commented that you can tell an illegal based on license plates and living situation, but someone did. I see that as a problem. If I called the police and told them you were a pedophile for whatever reason, you would have a problem with that. And what if everywhere you went people treated you like one... stayed away from you, acted scared, disrespected you... it would have a profound effect on you. You would not be able to assimilate very well.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
The reason why Mexicans find it harder to assimilate is because they have become the face and illegal immigration. There is no way to tell an European or Asian immigrant is legal or illegal. So why are you so quick to judge when it's a south or central American. The same rules should apply. But it's the stereotypical nature of people that prevent them from treating others equally. Can you show me data that suggest a 3rd generation European or Asian immigrant assimilate more readily than a third generation Mexican? No one wants to fight the system. They just want to be treated fairly. Lack of equal opportunity and treatment has always plagued our country.
Illegal immigrants are unconscionably inconvenienced by laws against illegal immigration.

If it makes you feel better, I've reported illegals from China, Portugal, Mali, and Ukraine, as well. But Hispanics are the face of illegal immigration because they constitute the vast, vast majority of illegal immigrants. Perhaps you have a difficult time understanding statistics so I'll show you the numbers:

Mexico 6,650,000 62% +42%
El Salvador 530,000 5% +25%
Guatemala 480,000 4% +65%
Honduras 320,000 3% +95%
Philippines 270,000 2% +33%
India 200,000 2% +64%
Korea 200,000 2% +14%
Ecuador 170,000 2% +55%
Brazil 150,000 1% +49%
China 120,000 1% −37%
Other 1,650,000 15% −17%

Mexicans are fully 62% of all illegals (probably more, since these are based on the disproven "11 million" Census Dept. total) - up 42% from 2000 through 2009. Latin American countries are #2, 3, and 4 on the list. When Hispanics are collectively over 75% of all illegals in the country, yes, they become "the face" of it.

Another factor may of course be that immigrants from certain countries commit crimes and collect social services at a much higher rate than other groups, and thus are deservedly the focus of more ire from their unwitting hosts. I'm not sure where're you're going to find third generation statistics since mass immigration is a relatively recent phenomenon. The second generation, however, commits crimes at a higher rate than their foreign-born parents.

A prefatory note about this Pew study - they compare immigrant crime rates to the "native population" to portray a better picture of the total. First off, we shouldn't be importing any criminals at all. Second, the "native crime rate" includes the vastly disproportionate amount of crime committed by a small segment of the black population, which by itself accounts for about 50% of all violent crimes. So, at best, we can say Hispanics commit fewer crimes than blacks, but more than whites. The FBI crime statistics bear this out.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
You're talking as if being investigation by law enforcement is no big deal. You don't see the seriousness in it because you're not experiencing it. Just knowing someone is looking into your life is uncomfortable. You may not have commented that you can tell an illegal based on license plates and living situation, but someone did. I see that as a problem. If I called the police and told them you were a pedophile for whatever reason, you would have a problem with that. And what if everywhere you went people treated you like one... stayed away from you, acted scared, disrespected you... it would have a profound effect on you. You would not be able to assimilate very well.
You have zero knowledge of what is involved in an ICE investigation and are unqualified to comment at all, none the less equate it to a police investigation for pedophilia. If I call 911 on a lark to report my neighbor for murdering someone without any substantive evidence, do you think the cops are just going to show up and demand to search his house for a corpse?

Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 PM

75 posts, read 110,659 times
Final Jeopardy Round. Category: People

"This is a characteristic of an illegal immigrant"

Contestant 1 wrote: "What is a person with a criminal background?"
AT: "You are correct"

Contestant 2 wrote: What is someone in desperate search of better opportunities for his/her family?
AT: "You are also correct"

Contestant 3 wrote: What is a non native American?
AT: "Correct as well"

Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hl126 View Post
Final Jeopardy Round. Category: People

"This is a characteristic of an illegal immigrant"

Contestant 1 wrote: "What is a person with a criminal background?"
AT: "You are correct"

Contestant 2 wrote: What is someone in desperate search of better opportunities for his/her family?
AT: "You are also correct"

Contestant 3 wrote: What is a non native American?
AT: "Correct as well"
Stop with the non Native American nonsense. To be an illegal immigrant you'd have to illegally wander into an established sovereign country with BORDERS and established immigration law. Colonists arriving in North America and finding scattered primitive tribes is not "illegal immigration" it's one of the stupidest arguments from the left. And not all the land the colonists took was Native American "territory" to even begin with. North America is a vast continent.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by interlude View Post
you have zero knowledge of what is involved in an ice investigation and are unqualified to comment at all, none the less equate it to a police investigation for pedophilia. If i call 911 on a lark to report my neighbor for murdering someone without any substantive evidence, do you think the cops are just going to show up and demand to search his house for a corpse?
yes if you told the disbatcher it took place at his house

Old 02-24-2017, 05:51 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Stop with the non Native American nonsense. To be an illegal immigrant you'd have to illegally wander into an established sovereign country with BORDERS and established immigration law. Colonists arriving in North America and finding scattered primitive tribes is not "illegal immigration" it's one of the stupidest arguments from the left. And not all the land the colonists took was Native American "territory" to even begin with. North America is a vast continent.
Don't be obtuse. The point about Native Americans is to recognize the hypocrisy of those whose ancestors came to this country in the relatively recent past but now have a drawbridge mentality to perceived "outsiders". It has nothing to do with claiming all non-Native Americans are illegal

Old 02-24-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Don't be obtuse. The point about Native Americans is to recognize the hypocrisy of those whose ancestors came to this country in the relatively recent past but now have a drawbridge mentality to perceived "outsiders". It has nothing to do with claiming all non-Native Americans are illegal
The better point about Native Americans is what happens to your people when you let in too many foreigners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island