Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 05:00 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So very true and well said. It's scary how many people in this country aren't engaged at all and can frankly care less.
I agree with you 100 percent. Doesn't matter what side you are on. We all should be engaged in the process. So few of us vote or bother to learn how our GoV works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 05:11 PM

190 posts, read 152,963 times
Quote:
Try reading your own article:

A supervisor in Northern California described a typical operation, with teams of at least five members rising before dawn, meeting as early as 4 a.m. to make arrests before their targets depart for work. To avoid distressing families and children, the agents prefer to apprehend people outside their homes, approaching them as soon as they step onto a public sidewalk and, once identified, placing them in handcuffs.

ICE Agents like any LE officer can't just "kick down a door" without a judicial warrant, which are extremely rare when arresting illegals (unless they are a wanted criminal alien). Typically all they have is an administrative arrest warrant (which dose not grant them access to enter a home) all they can do is knock and ask to be let in, or wait outside for the alien to come out. Again stop with the hyperbole, and quoting the nonsense lies from activist groups with an agenda.
the bold portion makes no sense in my opinion. whether you snatch em up inside or outside the home, the face remains that that person is not coming back to his family/friends. there is no way to avoid that type of distress.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:35 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
No one is "kicking in doors" at 4 am to arrest illegal aliens without a warrant. That's not how it works. Stop with the hyperbole. This fantasy of jackbooted thugs breaking down doors at all hours of the night to arrest a family of illegals with no criminal record is pure fiction.
Until the first time it happens.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:02 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
the bold portion makes no sense in my opinion. whether you snatch em up inside or outside the home, the face remains that that person is not coming back to his family/friends. there is no way to avoid that type of distress.
Sure there is. Don't come here illegally in the first place.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:41 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,759,611 times
Quote:
Sure there is. Don't come here illegally in the first place.
That wasn't the point of our debate. We already know they are here illegally . The debate is about HOW this admin deals with it. Can I call Ice because my neighbor wears a hijab? Can I call because my next door neighbor is speaking Spanish to his wife? Should I call when my landscaper shows up to cut my grass? This is madness. Are we going to have to hide some Jamaicans and Dominicans in my attic like Anne Frank now? Come on folks. Slippery slope.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:35 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
I'm not sure what we're arguing about now. I agree with everything you said above. However earlier you belittled me for insisting it's the "economics" and yet everything you wrote above is about the economics. It's ALL about economics. And that is why the solutions are economic, not political, not emotional. We have laws. Enforce them. Simple. The reason we don't is purely economics. The idea the "economy" is here to serve people does not make sense. The economy serves itself. Good or bad, it's indifferent. The economy is a measure of success or failure. It doesn't serve anyone. We make the economy. All of the systemic issues of looting it and destroying the American dream we've both laid out over time (and you nailed above) are valid and we're equally frustrated and angry about them. We went through that during the election. We meet at the intersection of Sanders and Trump sometimes. lol

Our difference in opinion is you place much more blame on illegal immigration and specifically Mexico, while I think trickle down, two party shenanigans and failed policies created the immigration mess and blaming Mexico just gives a pass to the real culprits...our own broken 2 party system, existing for special interests and corporations at the expense of the middle class. I just don't blame Mexicans so much. I blame Congress...and my fellow Americans for electing it.
Of course these things don't happen in a vacuum; they are enabled by our traitorous politicians who have for too long been paying lip service to the American people while serving only themselves, either for votes, donor dollars, or both. There also is blame to be laid at the feet of Latin America's ruling class, as well, which as you'll recall I said earlier uses the US as a pressure valve for its vast peasant class that would have overrun them and placed them gently into the guillotine years ago.

But the illegals themselves, and the governments from which they come, are not, make no mistake, the root cause of the problem. As you say, there are laws on the books, and for once, they are actually being enforced.

The larger question then is: why are real wages higher in the First World? In the most simple terms, it has to do with capital intensity. Harvesting potatoes by hand is arduous and inefficient, but collecting them with a harvesting tractor yields much better results. In this case, the tractor represents capital and its use increases the capital intensity of the workplace, allowing the potato-collecting individual to achieve a higher productivity and hence earn a higher wage. The First World's primary advantage is that is has more harvesting tractors and other capital investment than the Third World, which ends up benefiting both the owners of capital and the employees who work with the capital.

In theory, there is no reason why the Third World shouldn't be able to enjoy the same level of capital intensity as the First World after a certain period of development. In practice, there is a reason: Third Worlders live there. The accumulation of capital requires a minimum of stability and trust, which is exactly what Third Worlders can't seem to produce in their societies. Investing in a dump like Somalia is more or less a guaranteed loss and even seemingly stable countries like Mexico are just a crisis away from reverting to basket case status. The best chance to put a Third Worlder to work in a productive environment is to relocate him to a less dysfunctional host country ... and that's where mass immigration comes in.

The financial interests behind open borders have made a very cynical calculation: they'd love to engage in international labor arbitrage and skim rents off the fantastically low wage expectations of the common Third Worlder, but they know they can't directly invest in Third World societies as their investment would just be nationalized or destroyed. They enjoy the reliable legal systems and social peace in the West, but they don't appreciate the uppity attitude of its workers. So why not get the best of both worlds: invite poor illiterate peasants to migrate to the golden West, let Westerners pay for their education and any other costs they may produce and employ them within the safe borders of a high-trust country that won't chimp out over anything while at the same time depressing local wage rates thanks to the cheapness of the new arrivals. I bet you thought moving factories overseas was a mean move; wait until they move the overseas workforce into your town.

Of course the bought-and-paid-for advocates of such policies are aware that high-trust, peaceful, liveable Western societies would take a hit as a result of this incompatible scab migration. But as long as the government remains stable enough to protect the overclass from riots or communist uprisings, they don't have a problem with that. In fact, creating a Third World maw of madness right next to some middle class suburb provides an extra incentive for your white collar slaves to behave; wouldn't want to lose your job and end up there, would you?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,521,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
That wasn't the point of our debate. We already know they are here illegally . The debate is about HOW this admin deals with it. Can I call Ice because my neighbor wears a hijab? Can I call because my next door neighbor is speaking Spanish to his wife? Should I call when my landscaper shows up to cut my grass? This is madness. Are we going to have to hide some Jamaicans and Dominicans in my attic like Anne Frank now? Come on folks. Slippery slope.
Oy vey. Yes, you can call the government to report whatever you want. You always could. You literally can't walk through the mass transit system without being repeatedly told to say something if you see something. The ICE tip line has existed since long before Trump, it's just that until now they basically threw your report into the round file. Your tip is just that - a tip, which leads to investigation, and if the "victim" if your tip is violating the law, they will be dealt with accordingly.

This is a hollow concern raised by people who don't want illegals deported to begin with.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:12 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Summer of 2019, Hometown USA: Restaurants shuttered, manicured suburbs knee deep in out of control weeds and grasses, murky green swimming pools, paint peeling off houses, unfinished houses dot the landscape, vegetables rot on the vines, meat packing plants abandoned, stores with empty shelves, taxis idling at the curb with open doors and no drivers, garbage blowing down city streets.

I can't wait.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:17 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Summer of 2019, Hometown USA: Restaurants shuttered, manicured suburbs knee deep in out of control weeds and grasses, murky green swimming pools, paint peeling off houses, unfinished houses dot the landscape, vegetables rot on the vines, meat packing plants abandoned, stores with empty shelves, taxis idling at the curb with open doors and no drivers, garbage blowing down city streets.

I can't wait.
Lol are you serious? What planet are you on? Like every illegal is going to be deported all 11+ million. Yeah ok. Oh and how about cleaning your own pool or mowing your own lawn? What a concept! Nor are all landscapers illegal. Get real. Your hysterical post apocalyptic "vision" is hilarious.

Last edited by peconic117; 02-27-2017 at 05:26 PM..

Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MykeWhyte View Post
Two things: My comments were directed at you but were referring to posts made by peconic or whatever her name is. Secondly, I said if you call to report illegal rentals, that's fine... as long as you were calling on everybody. If you were only calling on mexican immigrants then defending it by saying they were living in illegal rentals then yes you're a prejudice. Probably racist. But only you would know.
Reporting illegal rentals to the town (local government) is completely different than calling ICE federal government) and reporting illegal immigrants. Is it possible that illegal immigrants live in an illegal rental. Yes. Is it possible that citizens are naturalized aliens live in illegal rentals? Yes.

So kindly explain how you jump to the conclusion that a person calling the TOWN building department to report an illegal rental is racist?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island