Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM

36 posts, read 93,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
As per "Dr. Beach:" #3 and #7. Now, you have to check to see if they are for residents, etc.

1. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina - National Winner
2. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
3. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
4. Hanalei Bay, Kauai, Hawaii
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
6. Hamoa Beach, Maui, Hawaii
7. Main Beach, East Hampton, New York
8. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
9. Lighthouse Point Park, Daytona Beach, Florida
10. Siesta Beach, Sarasota, Florida
I live in NC, and I love Ocracoke.
I also have fam in Siesta, FL (sarasota) and it's always so busy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM

36 posts, read 93,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Hehehe. Good answer.

Depends on the day and the time of day. On a friday traffic gets bad around 2pm and lightens up quite a bit around 7pm.
In general, the LIE is the quickest way out, but if traffic is bad, you can try cutting over to the Southern State.

I would make reservations for labor day as early as possible.
I'd be planning to leave the city around 9AM. Maybe LI will still be sleeping...

Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,253,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Lauren View Post
I'd be planning to leave the city around 9AM. Maybe LI will still be sleeping...
You may hit some traffic leaving the city, but after that, you should be good. The only other place you may hit some traffic is at Southampton when Rt 27 becomes 2 lanes.

This past summer, they did something great at that point on 27...They coned off the middle turn lane and made it into an extra lane going into The Hamptons. They stopped at the end of the summer, but I think they will start it up again this summer.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Yes, East Hampton Main beach is great, as is Wolffer Estates. As for towns, I prefer East Hampton, myself. It's a little more quaint, although has been getting much more commercial in recent years. I like riding my bike around the area by Main Beach as well as Georgica. Kayak trips on Georgica pond are always fun too. If you have the time, a trip out to Montauk for a lobster at Gosman's is fun. My kids love watching the boats go by while we eat. I also like eating steak at The Palm, in East Hampton and Bobby Van's in Bridgehampton.
Never been to the Palm Heard it's good, especially for a chain. Lots of great restaurants out there, many are open year round now, I believe.

If you have the time, you should also look into the North Fork. Farms, farmstands, TONS of wineries, Greenport. Nice stuff. Shelter Is is nice, too, but not worth the time and ferry money for a one day trip.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Never been to the Palm Heard it's good, especially for a chain. Lots of great restaurants out there, many are open year round now, I believe.

If you have the time, you should also look into the North Fork. Farms, farmstands, TONS of wineries, Greenport. Nice stuff. Shelter Is is nice, too, but not worth the time and ferry money for a one day trip.
One of my favorite things to do is to take the South Ferry to Shelter Island, cruise around Shelter Island and then take the North Ferry over to Greenport. Hang out in Greenport, eat some seafood at Claudios and head west to hit some wineries, back through Riverhead and back around to the south fork.

Or reverse the trip and drive west to Riverhead, up around to the wineries, out to Greenport, eat at Claudios, ferry to Shelter Isle, tour Shelter Island and South ferry back to starting point.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is actually better than other Palms I have been to. Maybe because the owners of the chain spend their summers out there.

Many restaurants are open year round now, but only thursday through sunday. They start opening all week long as we get closer to memorial day.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it is actually better than other Palms I have been to. Maybe because the owners of the chain spend their summers out there.

Many restaurants are open year round now, but only thursday through sunday. They start opening all week long as we get closer to memorial day.
I don't understand the MD to LD thing. Makes no sense to me. If I had a house there, it would be a year round thing, but at least April to Nov, no? I assumed as much about the Palm, the NYC locations must be the best.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
One of my favorite things to do is to take the South Ferry to Shelter Island, cruise around Shelter Island and then take the North Ferry over to Greenport. Hang out in Greenport, eat some seafood at Claudios and head west to hit some wineries, back through Riverhead and back around to the south fork.

Or reverse the trip and drive west to Riverhead, up around to the wineries, out to Greenport, eat at Claudios, ferry to Shelter Isle, tour Shelter Island and South ferry back to starting point.
Wow...this sounds like a fantastic Day trip. Thanks for the idea!!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I don't understand the MD to LD thing. Makes no sense to me. If I had a house there, it would be a year round thing, but at least April to Nov, no? I assumed as much about the Palm, the NYC locations must be the best.
I agree. In fact, my favorite months out there are Sept. and Oct.. The weather is perfect, the leaves turn colors, the kids go pumpkin picking, the vineyards are beautiful, and best of all, there are no summer crowds.

April and May are nice too.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I agree. In fact, my favorite months out there are Sept. and Oct.. The weather is perfect, the leaves turn colors, the kids go pumpkin picking, the vineyards are beautiful, and best of all, there are no summer crowds.

April and May are nice too.
Plus in the fall, you have the wineries in full blast, getting ready to or already harvesting. Very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island