Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 12:40 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Schools schmools.
If your kid is smart they will do good in Jericho or Hempstead schools.
Not true. Even if your kid is smart, if he is in a Central Islip or Brentwood high school, he may not do well. It's easy to be distracted when you have to worry about getting beaten up or threatened into gang involvement every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 12:51 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
Not true. Even if your kid is smart, if he is in a Central Islip or Brentwood high school, he may not do well. It's easy to be distracted when you have to worry about getting beaten up or threatened into gang involvement every day.
Eh I think that is exaggerated.

I bet there are plenty of kids who do fine.

Old 12-05-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Eh I think that is exaggerated.
Not exaggerated. I know of two families who lived in C.I. who had to deal with these very issues. How many do you know who have kids that are thriving there?

Old 12-05-2019, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Not exaggerated. I know of two families who lived in C.I. who had to deal with these very issues. How many do you know who have kids that are thriving there?
I don't know anyone from Central Islip to report on it, but I would wager a good amount of kids do alright. Their graduation rate is roughly 88%. While certainly not the best on LI, the state average is roughly 82%. (These are stats from 2017)

Kids are at least graduating. What they're doing from there, I don't know.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:16 PM

The post I replied to said that it didn't matter which school district a kid is in. If they're smart, they will learn. Graduating is not an indication that a child is reaching his or her learning potential. There are so many factors that influence a child's ability to learn, natural ability notwithstanding. There is no question that a child who attends a school in Syosset, for instance, is going to have better teachers, a better classroom environment, better social influences, etc., than a child who attends a school in Central Islip. I provided an example of safety as being one of the factors that might negatively affect a child's ability to learn, but there are many many more. To pretend that all schools offer the same educational opportunities and learning environments is just refusing to acknowledge the facts. There's a reason why school districts like Syosset consistently make the "best school district" lists year after year, while school districts like Central Islip consistently appear on the bottom. It's not the children's ability to learn that makes the difference. It's the environment in which they are being taught.

Old 12-05-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
The post I replied to said that it didn't matter which school district a kid is in. If they're smart, they will learn. Graduating is not an indication that a child is reaching his or her learning potential. There are so many factors that influence a child's ability to learn, natural ability notwithstanding. There is no question that a child who attends a school in Syosset, for instance, is going to have better teachers, a better classroom environment, better social influences, etc., than a child who attends a school in Central Islip. I provided an example of safety as being one of the factors that might negatively affect a child's ability to learn, but there are many many more. To pretend that all schools offer the same educational opportunities and learning environments is just refusing to acknowledge the facts. There's a reason why school districts like Syosset consistently make the "best school district" lists year after year, while school districts like Central Islip consistently appear on the bottom. It's not the children's ability to learn that makes the difference. It's the environment in which they are being taught.
Not reaching ones learning potential doesn't mean they aren't learning @ all. I mean I get what you are trying to say and I agree somewhat, but in order to graduate with a regents diploma, kids must pass regents exams required by the state. Obv they are passing these tests if they are graduating and therefore are learning the material.

I also realise the graduation rate doesn't mention whether it's regents diploma or local diplomas the students are getting. Still, 88% is actually pretty impressive for a school as low as CI.

I also don't believe teachers teaching in lower-quality schools are worse teachers. I have some friends in the rough parts of Queens and Brooklyn who are highly-regarded teachers.

A lot of it simply comes down to how involved the parents are in helping their children reach their educational potential. If the children are not getting what they should be getting @ school, it is the parents job to make sure they get the reinforcement @ home.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:18 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Also, these high rated districts want to stay that way to ensure the bloated salaries.
They do fudge #'s and "help" kids pass in order to keep their status.
This is fact. I know first hand what goes on so I don't need anybody telling me otherwise and throwing the tinfoil hat nonsense at me.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:37 PM

174 posts, read 106,527 times
Yes, Eastasian, Jewish and South Indian students invariably have to have their grades "fudged" for them, because otherwise they'd generally flunk out.

In other news, Saturn is located 27 miles from Syracuse, and all interstate highways in the US are paved with mustard.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:00 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A lot of it simply comes down to how involved the parents are in helping their children reach their educational potential. If the children are not getting what they should be getting @ school, it is the parents job to make sure they get the reinforcement @ home.
I think you are getting closer J.

So say both parents are busy with work that they have a hard time finding the time to do the "so called" reinforcement done... what then ? I know this can happen anywhere, but its about where does the common man struggle more vs life is easier so that you can devote the time towards kids OR to yourself/family. I can assure you based on the profile of the poorer districts the serious parents are working harder to make ends meet.

I have 2 kids - believe me its really hard on a consistent basis to do that even when you have the time (fyi, I get enough time as of now) - from what I'm guessing - you have no kids ? - So yeah I think as usual you are talking from the high pedestal or just throwing out some highly regarded phrases out like 2+2=4 (lets get some reps folks) and such...

Look, we hear about exceptions... ok ? but its proven that a child's success is directly proportional to the resources available to him/her.
Do you think kids from Jericho / Syosset do not go for extra coaching after spending the day at the famed schools ? Think again...

I am seriously doubting your audience here.... if they are supposed to be middle income folks (like me) who are trying to keep their head above water and trying to climb up another rung in their life - you are doing a massive disservice to them.

The more resources a parent can give their child - the better the kids chances - this is true not just on Long Island but everywhere else. LI education is best summarized by the top 10 school districts that might cater to like 3-5 % of LI's population at best... the rest is just above average or good compared with similar schools outside LI. In fact the other states are using the resources much better than LI schools - there are so many many schools outside NY who have like 2000+ kids in high schools and are doing much better than LI schools who are just average. I forgot to mention they cater to households with all kinds of income ranges in the same district.

This has been hashed out so many times here - its a joke we allow the broken record to play again and again .... oh wait... but NY has better schools...

Old 12-05-2019, 05:07 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulent View Post
Yes, Eastasian, Jewish and South Indian students invariably have to have their grades "fudged" for them, because otherwise they'd generally flunk out.

In other news, Saturn is located 27 miles from Syracuse, and all interstate highways in the US are paved with mustard.
Whatever bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island