Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2019, 07:41 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times

Advertisements

We have friends whose son was salutatorian in a “less than” district. He didn’t get into any Ivies and the guidance department seemed perplexed on how to handle him (although there’s a valedictorian and salutatorian every year). That pretty much convinced me school district does matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 05:17 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
We have friends whose son was salutatorian in a “less than” district. He didn’t get into any Ivies and the guidance department seemed perplexed on how to handle him (although there’s a valedictorian and salutatorian every year). That pretty much convinced me school district does matter.
Grades, shmades. Apparently the way in is $50k in an envelope to get placed on the crew team. lol

Old 12-06-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Grades, shmades. Apparently the way in is $50k in an envelope to get placed on the crew team. lol
$50k probably gets you SUNY!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Why does someone need to go to an Ivy league school though? I don't believe companies care too much what school you go to as long as you have a degree. That's what I have seen anyhow. I have a good job. I went to SUNY. Middle of the road grades. I do well.

Old 12-06-2019, 09:51 AM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why does someone need to go to an Ivy league school though? I don't believe companies care too much what school you go to as long as you have a degree. That's what I have seen anyhow. I have a good job. I went to SUNY. Middle of the road grades. I do well.
I guess it depends on what line of work you're in. In the legal field (and I would assume the medical field as well), it definitely matters. The more prestigious the school, the more prestigious the law firm (and the higher the starting salary, the better the perks, etc.).

Old 12-06-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 562026 View Post
I guess it depends on what line of work you're in. In the legal field (and I would assume the medical field as well), it definitely matters. The more prestigious the school, the more prestigious the law firm (and the higher the starting salary, the better the perks, etc.).
I mean I guess. I am not in those fields but I would wager they'd care more about your grad school degree and not your bachelors.

I'm not smart enough for ivies anyway but it seems like a waste of money to me. Saved a lot of money going to SUNY and got a solid education. :::shrug:::

Kudos to those who get in though. It's impressive for sure.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:19 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
It's parents looking for bragging rights.
Everyone has to always one-up everyone else.
College is over rated.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM

323 posts, read 199,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Also, these high rated districts want to stay that way to ensure the bloated salaries.
They do fudge #'s and "help" kids pass in order to keep their status.
This is fact. I know first hand what goes on so I don't need anybody telling me otherwise and throwing the tinfoil hat nonsense at me.
HotKarl is right. My mother's boss is a rich, Jewish doctor who lives in the Jericho school district. One of her sons is not that bright and gets frustrated easily. He hated math and was failing it. He walked out of the classroom in the middle of the math regents test and told the teachers he refused to take it. The next day my mother's boss showed up at the school to tell them how rich and powerful she was and they let him take the math regents test all by himself in a classroom with a teacher that "looked the other way" while he pulled out his math textbook and found most of the answers on his cell phone. He got a 100 on that test. They aren't letting the kids in Hempstead do that.

Old 12-06-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
As usual you've totally missed the point....which was - generally a valedictorian or salutatorian should not have trouble getting into an Ivy should they choose to apply. I don't know many who don't apply, although I'm sure they exist.

And if you really think your degree from SUNY Buffalo is as valuable for opening doors as a degree from an Ivy then you're delusional. Does that mean one is left to a life bereft of possibilities if they DON'T go to an Ivy? Does it mean you're guaranteed a great life if you DO go to one? No. But to state that there's nothing different between the two institutions is just silly. I read an article once by a guy who went to Princeton and he said he ALWAYS works it into a conversation that he went there. It was a funny article, but his point was clear - people are always impressed.

And back to my story of our friends - the parents were disappointed when all was said and done that their kid didn't at least have the opportunity to go to an Ivy. They said if they had lived in a Garden City, it would have happened.

BTW we have friends whose kid DID get into Harvard, but chose not to go. Not the right for him, and he's going to another great college for free. (They don't live on LI).

Old 12-06-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
As usual you've totally missed the point....which was - generally a valedictorian or salutatorian should not have trouble getting into an Ivy should they choose to apply. I don't know many who don't apply, although I'm sure they exist.

And if you really think your degree from SUNY Buffalo is as valuable for opening doors as a degree from an Ivy then you're delusional. Does that mean one is left to a life bereft of possibilities if they DON'T go to an Ivy? Does it mean you're guaranteed a great life if you DO go to one? No. But to state that there's nothing different between the two institutions is just silly. I read an article once by a guy who went to Princeton and he said he ALWAYS works it into a conversation that he went there. It was a funny article, but his point was clear - people are always impressed.

And back to my story of our friends - the parents were disappointed when all was said and done that their kid didn't at least have the opportunity to go to an Ivy. They said if they had lived in a Garden City, it would have happened.

BTW we have friends whose kid DID get into Harvard, but chose not to go. Not the right for him, and he's going to another great college for free. (They don't live on LI).
For me I would rather have a little bit of debt than a lot (comparatively speaking). That's ANY private university. I don't get it. It's too much money when SUNY is a viable option, why wouldn't you?

Also, just b/c someone is a valedictorian or salutatorian doesn't mean they necessarily have the grades to get in. For example, I remember when I actually got Newsday delivered, they'd post the valedictorian & salutatorian of each school with their GPA's. I remember some of the lower performing schools having valedictorians or salutatorians with grades in only the low 90's. Those grades would not be high enough for an ivy. That has nothing to do with the ivy, their grades are not high enough. Now, one can say, well why aren't their grades high enough and attribute it to the high school. Maybe it's the high school's fault or maybe it isn't. Regardless I don't think colleges are purposely turning away those kids. Instead I would think they'd have an advantage especially if they were a minority.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 12-06-2019 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island